big screen version of magnum
Oh, now they've gone too far.
The crazy "let's remake an old TV show and put it on the big screen!" mania continues. Magnum, P.I. is coming to the big screen, and it now has a writer and director. It's Rawson Marshall Thurber (Dogdeball).
I have absolutely no confidence that this will be a good movie. Nothing against the director. I'm talking about the whole concept of remaking TV shows for the big screen. To put it bluntly, who the fuck wants to see a big screen Magnum movie without Tom Selleck? Maybe he'll be in it, but I seriously doubt it. They'll go younger, hipper, edgier, with rap on the soundtrack (see also: Miami Vice).
Studio execs are clueless. The reason why certain shows are beloved in the first place is because of a specific time, a specific place in history, a specific cast. It's not that Charlie's Angels, the original show, was such a great concept or plot, it's that it was that three specific actresses and the 1970s. People liked it back then because of the T and A, and they like it now for the nostalgia/kitsch value. Bringing it back and just putting three other actresses in it? That's why it sucked. Same with The Fugitive, The Beverly Hillbillies, I Spy, and a ton of others.
(Hell, this Magnum flick might turn out to be a good "movie," but it won't be Magnum, P.I.)
And the worse part? This pretty much means any future TV reunion movie with Selleck, Hillerman, Manetti, et al has no chance of ever becoming a reality.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The X Factor': Alex and Sierra on making Kelly Rowland cry
- 'The Tomorrow People': Murder, limbo and Darth Vader in 'Death's Door'
- 'Duck Dynasty' Christmas special recap: A nativity play and wild hog guts
- 'The Sing-Off' Season 4: Meet '90s-obsessed guy group The Filharmonic
- 'Nashville' fall finale: Did both [SPOILER] and [SPOILER] die in 'Tomorrow Never Comes?'
- More From Zap2it
- The X Factor Top 4 Performance Recap: Raise Your Hopeful Voice, You Have a Choice
- AHS: Coven Recap: The Eyes Have It
- Nashville Post Mortem: EP Dee Johnson on the Cliffhanger Death(s?), Juliette in the Doorway, Deacon's New Path and More
- Scoop: Glee Casts Skylar Astin in 'Explosive' Role
- Revenge Exclusive: Lost/FNL Alum Brett Cullen Joins Cast as [Spoiler]'s Estranged Father
- More From TVLine