|The Colbert Report||Mon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
|ThreatDown - Henry Louis Gates Jr., Bill Gates & Wilford Brimley|
We talked about this when they announced that Jerry Seinfeld had signed on to promote Windows for Microsoft. If you were watching the big NFL kickoff Thursday night, you might have seen what that looked like. If you missed it, it's embedded after the jump. I've watched the commercial a few times now, and I'm torn. I agreed with Brad's take in the original post, that Seinfeld may be a few years past the point of ideal pitchman.
That being said, the first half of the commercial is quirky, and pretty funny. The idea of stumbling on Bill Gates in a discount shoe shop is an amusing place to start. And Gates does a good job as the straight man for Seinfeld. I really like the odd cut to the family watching through the glass. "They run tight." It all pays off nicely with that familiar image of Gates on his Platinum Shoe Circus Clown Club card. It loses steam when they leave the mall. A moist and chewy cake computer? I think the writers got tripped up by the iffy tag. The future. Delicious.
Ah, the 1990's! Not quite as good as the 1980's but still an okay decade. I mean, it brought us Generation X, the Grunge movement (which basically involved dressing in flannel and not showering), Boy Bands and, courtesy of Bill Gates and Microsoft -- Windows 95. You remember Windows 95, don't you? It combined Windows and DOS into one comprehensive operating system, gave us our first look at Internet Explorer, and provided us with a chance to hop on to the information superhighway.
Well, I was wrong.
Last night on The Daily Show, Jon Stewart showed what really happened. I should've known. Video is after the jump:
Senior White House Correspondent John Oliver stopped by to elaborate. "Also, legalize pot! Ahh-hahaha!" made me laugh because, that's pretty much the way any guy under thirty tries to finish up a political conversation.
"Obamania": FOX News got a little snooty when they outed Barack Obama and said that he went to a Muslim school. And then CNN got all "fact-checky" and "investigated". Pssht. Oh, and Chuck Norris filled in for Hannity on Hannity & Colmes?! How did I miss this?
Darn those Heroes and their wacky superpowers. As we all know, money is the real power on this terrestrial ground, but let's leave the Bill Gates discussion for later. Even if you can walk through walls to try and convince your girl to leave the psych ward to help you be a better parent, that still won't help you put some ramen on the table.
Unless your superhuman powers are passed onto your son as seen on last night's episode of Heroes. Micah's frustration with D.L's inability to pack him a decent lunch box had forced him to exert his super powers, which turns out to be ATM hypnotism. Sheesh, I would have stopped feeding my kids sooner if it would make them do this. I wonder if we can borrow Micah for a day or so to zap away some school loans.
More after the jump!
Still no word on which company has called dibs on Jon Stewart.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bones' 200th Episode Photos: The Gang Goes to the 1950s
- 'Bones' Episode 10.9 Photos: Does Brennan Have a Problem with Aubrey?
- 7 Thanksgiving Episodes To Escape Your Family Drama -- Available to Stream Now
- 'Supernatural' Recap: The Truth About Rowena is Revealed
- The 25 Best Dances from 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19
- More From BuddyTV
- Dancing With the Stars Recap: Did the Right Couple Win? Plus: Top 5 Moments and Season 19 Finale Pics!
- Faking It Finale: EP Explains Karma's Dream, Liam's Sacrifice and More
- Mindy Project Recap: How Ma Got Her Groove Back
- Degrassi Shocker: Spinner Returns — and He's Still Working at the Dot!
- Awkward's Ashley Rickards Talks Jenna's Choice, Lacey's Surprise and More Season 4 Finale Twists
- More From TVLine
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Season 19 Winner: Who Took Home the Mirror Ball Trophy?
- Paul Rudd's College Yearbook Photo Will Blow Your Mind
- 9 Reasons Mariah Carey's ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You' Is the Best Holiday Song of All Time
- Rihanna Teases New Song From Upcoming Eighth Album
- Could Your Kid Be a Star? ET Goes Inside An LA Acting School For Kids
- More From ET