January 30, 2015
by Adam Finley, posted Feb 23rd 2006 2:15PM
By now the noise over South Park's infamous "Bloody Mary" episode featuring an excessively menstrual statue of the Virgin Mary has died down, but folks in New Zealand hadn't seen it until recently. Needless to say, many of them weren't happy. As the cartoon was being broadcast, hundreds of protesters gathered around a statue of the Virgin Mary to pray. In addition, 350 people protested outside the TV station that broadcast the cartoon. Despite the protests, or possibly because of them, the episode garnered more than six times the usual audience. If nothing else, South Park has proved not only can it raise the ire of American audiences, it also knows how to offend on a global scale.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from the Mid-Season Premiere
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 19 Moments of Love and Sacrifice from 'Prayer for the Dying'
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.12 Photos: Dean Becomes a Teenager
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.12: Hayley Faces Difficult Decision
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.12 Photos: Malcolm Merlyn Joins the Team
- More From BuddyTV
- Elementary Boss: After Kitty's Exit, Sherlock and Watson Must 'Evolve'
- Criminal Minds Spinoff Pilot Adds Breaking Bad Star Anna Gunn
- HTGAWM Stars on the Arrival of Sam's [Spoiler], Future of The Keating 5: 'There's a Teeter-Totter of Trust'
- Parenthood Finale: Show Boss Talks Flash-Forward Surprises, Deleted Scenes and That FNL Cameo
- Scandal Returns: The 7 Craziest Reveals About Olivia's Vanishing
- More From TVLine
- Ryan Gosling Crashes Russell Crowe's Awards Show Presentation
- The Top 7 Sexiest Super Bowl Studs From Each Team
- Eddie Murphy Returning to 'SNL' for 40th Anniversary Special!
- OMG T.G.I.T.! The Jaw-Dropping Moments From 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Scandal' and 'HTGAWM'
- Ellen Snaps a Birthday Selfie With Music's Biggest Superstars
- More From ET