Any show that views religion through a satirical lens is bound to be misunderstood. The Simpsons dealt with religious themes from the beginning and caught a lot of flak until it became clear that the target of its humor was not "God" but rather how human beings interpret religion and spirituality. The same could be said for South Park, especially with the recently vilified "Bloody Mary" episode. While South Park's approach is certainly more abrasive, neither it nor The Simpsons ever denies that God exists. The satirical crosshairs are always pointed directly at us lowly terrestrial beings.
1 star to Alan: "You're much more attractive than the usual bus station skanks Uncle Charlie usually brings home."
2 stars to Aaron M: "I want two of those...and some cookies too."
3 stars to Brent McKee: "Jake was sure to get everything on his Christmas list afer arranging HIS treat for Santa. If only he could keep her away from Charlie."
This week's image is from the controversial "Bloody Mary" episode of South Park:
UPDATE: Someone caved. So last night, Comedy Central aired the classic Dodgeball episode in the first "position" of the South Park season marathon, then moved everything back a half an hour so that the "Free Willzyx" episode showed in the last of the marathon slots. Who pushed who? I have no idea, but feel free to speculate away.
Sure there have been some crazy episodes of South Park, but this may be a first for Trey Parker and Matt Stone. They've actually been condemned by the Catholic Church. The episode entitled "Bloody Mary" that aired on December 7th 2005, made fun of not only the Pope and miracles, but also the Virgin Mary.
Although I'm not sure that is any worse than
having Satan date Saddam Hussein and sing Disney showtunes, the church apparently does. On December 8th The Catholic League for Religious and Civil
Rights demanded Viacom permanantly retire the show, and not even include it on future DVD releases. Yea... I'm sure
the boys will do that....
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Hannibal Finale Post Mortem: Bryan Fuller on Will/Lecter Love, Bedelia's Last Supper, That Siouxsie Sioux Jam
- Alison Brie and Cast of Teachers Preview 'Shocking' TV Land Comedy
- Downton Abbey Trailer Tees Up Bittersweet Final Season
- Elementary Casts Shohreh Aghdashloo as Papa Holmes' Associate
- Blunt Talk Sneak Peek: Harry Chandler, Reluctant Porn Star?
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: Khloe Kardashian Spills on Fireworks Fiasco at Boyfriend's Yacht Party: 'No One Would Just Take That Risk'
- 11 Most Daring Celebrity Swimsuit Moments of the Summer
- EXCLUSIVE: Kris Jenner Sets the Story Straight on Her Kids' Rumors — And Why She Fell Asleep on Kanye West!
- Josh Duggar's Sister Jessa Speaks at Southern Women's Show, Opens Up About Her Home Life
- One Direction's Liam Payne Turns 22! Look Back at 7 of His Hottest Moments
- More From ET