Any show that views religion through a satirical lens is bound to be misunderstood. The Simpsons dealt with religious themes from the beginning and caught a lot of flak until it became clear that the target of its humor was not "God" but rather how human beings interpret religion and spirituality. The same could be said for South Park, especially with the recently vilified "Bloody Mary" episode. While South Park's approach is certainly more abrasive, neither it nor The Simpsons ever denies that God exists. The satirical crosshairs are always pointed directly at us lowly terrestrial beings.
1 star to Alan: "You're much more attractive than the usual bus station skanks Uncle Charlie usually brings home."
2 stars to Aaron M: "I want two of those...and some cookies too."
3 stars to Brent McKee: "Jake was sure to get everything on his Christmas list afer arranging HIS treat for Santa. If only he could keep her away from Charlie."
This week's image is from the controversial "Bloody Mary" episode of South Park:
UPDATE: Someone caved. So last night, Comedy Central aired the classic Dodgeball episode in the first "position" of the South Park season marathon, then moved everything back a half an hour so that the "Free Willzyx" episode showed in the last of the marathon slots. Who pushed who? I have no idea, but feel free to speculate away.
Sure there have been some crazy episodes of South Park, but this may be a first for Trey Parker and Matt Stone. They've actually been condemned by the Catholic Church. The episode entitled "Bloody Mary" that aired on December 7th 2005, made fun of not only the Pope and miracles, but also the Virgin Mary.
Although I'm not sure that is any worse than
having Satan date Saddam Hussein and sing Disney showtunes, the church apparently does. On December 8th The Catholic League for Religious and Civil
Rights demanded Viacom permanantly retire the show, and not even include it on future DVD releases. Yea... I'm sure
the boys will do that....
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- How to Get Away With Murder Recap: The Writing's on the Wallpaper
- Scandal Recap: The One Where Everyone Believes that Jake Killed a Kid
- Project Runway Finale: Did the Right Designer Win Season 13?
- ABC Orders More Castle, Once, Grey's Anatomy and 5 Other Series
- Vampire Diaries Recap: Paternity Quest
- More From TVLine
- Kelly Osbourne Gets Tattoo In Memory of Joan Rivers
- Tori Spelling Sends Out Cryptic Message from Hospital -- Is She Leaving Dean?
- Mama June Reacts to Claims She's Dating a Convicted Sex Offender
- Justin Bieber Uses a Disney-Inspired Pick-Up Line on a Model!
- From Sea Urchins To Getting Framed, Taylor Swift Reveals Her Biggest Phobias
- More From ET