If one DVD could be the most anticipated of the entire summer, this is it.
Hitting store shelves today is the sixth and final season of 'Lost' on DVD and Blu-Ray.
Why such a big deal? The DVD has a special epilogue episode, which shows life on the island with Hurley and Ben in charge. Providing everyone some extra meat and potatoes to start rehashing 'Lost' theories at the dining room table tonight.
Find out the rest of the DVD's being released today after the jump!
Opening for "classes" December 8, Lost University is a special feature of the Blu-ray offering a "captivating new immersive bonus experience powered by BD-Live technology. A series of interactive "lectures" expands "the world of Lost, giving viewers around the world an unprecedented interactive experience unlike any other before it."
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment arranged a strong collection of "professors" to teach the university seminars. Cast members include Naveen Andrews, Jorge Garcia, Josh Holloway, Daniel Dae Kim, Yunjin Kim, Evangeline Lilly, Terry O'Quinn, Michael Emerson and Henry Ian Cusik.
Minor spoilers follow...
There are those who liked the ending and those that didn't. I didn't like the lack of explanation of Kara's return from the dead and found the finale generally anti-climactic. But the series set a high standard and, overall, it's a minor complaint. In most ways, the series is perfect and far better than most of us deserve.
I'll give them this: the people who make the show know their audience ... that audience being nerds. Nerds like information. Hence, the DVD set is full of extras and special features. These include deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes featurettes, and extended versions of episodes, including the three-part finale, "Daybreak." And every episode (let me repeat that:: every episode) has podcast commentary by Ronald Moore.
This might not be the best of ideas. All it takes is one wise-ass uploading a Tribble while in a compromising situation involving leather, chains and whipped cream to ruin it for everyone else.
Greetings, people reading this right now. Here's another collection of news and notes from the world of animation:
First of all, I'm still trying to figure out if the Aqua Teen movie is really going to debut on Adult Swim April 1, close to two weeks before its theatrical debut on April 13. I first noticed it on the schedule, and then started seeing it promoted during the Adult Swim block. If this is indeed a gag of some sort, they're playing it perfectly straight. I guess we shall all know soon enough. It's not as if creators Matt Maiellaro and Dave Willis haven't messed with their viewer's heads before: they were hyping an Aqua Teen movie before they even knew if it was going to be made.
Man, I am so not a technophile. All of this high definition DVD talk just puts me to sleep. On the other hand, I have to stay somewhat aware of new developments so I'm not found crying in my apartment several years from now trying to play a Blu-Ray disc on my standard DVD player.
Right now Blu-Ray and HD DVD are in a race to see which high definition format comes out the victor. Some studios have been releasing content on both forms, while others have stuck to only one or the other. Recently, Warner Bros. said it would introduce the Total HD Disc. This new disc will hold both the HD DVD and Blu-Ray format.
Is it possible that in our desire to forge ahead into the future we'll become so sick of trying to keep up with new ways of viewing the same old stuff that we'll actually just throw everything aside and start listening to transistor radio and attending operas? I'm hanging on to my old Victrola just in case.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Episode 3.7 Photos: Will Alison Win the Election for School Trustee?
- Summer 2015's Sexiest Stars: TV's Hottest Women
- [Video] 'The Bachelorette': Did One of Kaitlyn's Suitors Fall in Love with Another Guy?
- 'Bones' Exclusive Interview: The Writers Talk Brennan and Booth's Future and a Whirlpool Death
- Did 'Kardashians' Star Bruce Jenner Undergo Sex Change Surgery?
- More From BuddyTV
- Denise Richards Going Full Cougar for New CW Comedy Significant Mother
- Longmire Season 4: Ally Walker Lands Mystery Role, as Series Heads to Netflix
- So You Think You Can Dance: Season 12's Judges (and Mentors) Get Glam!
- TVLine Items: Jimmy Smits Gets Down, Grace and Frankie Renewed and More
- T.J. Miller's The Gorburger Show Gobbles Up Pilot Order at HBO
- More From TVLine
- Amy Schumer Goes After Bill Cosby During 'Inside Amy Schumer'
- Cher, 69, Is Fiercer Than Ever as the New Face of Marc Jacobs
- Bette Midler Weighs In on Josh Duggar Scandal, Calls Allegations Ironic
- The Story of Two Sisters Trying to Return a Lost Camera Full of 'Precious Memories' to Its Rightful Owner
- 'Pretty Little Liars': How to Do Aria's Eye Makeup – Plus 6 Beauty Secrets You Need to Know!
- More From ET