In the script, iconic bluesmen Jake and Elwood Blues are just out of jail, and Elwood, who was raised in an orphanage, is on a mission to find his birth-parents. Aykroyd is attached to the pilot as the voice of the boys' parole officer.
'Blues Brothers' made its debut in the late 1970s as an 'SNL' sketch starring Aykroyd and the late John Belushi. The 1980 big-screen adaptation was a smashing success and cemented the characters' cult classic status.
Since its debut in 1975, 'Saturday Night Live' has been synonymous with bringing pop music to the late-night, weekend masses. Now in its 35th season on NBC, 'SNL' has indeed become the holy grail for musicians.
Over the years, many memorable performances have graced the 'SNL' stage. In this list, we select the 7 best. Some were energetic, some were raw and emotive, some were quirky and fun.
But mostly, they were all daring for broadcast television at the time.
I remember when I was a young man many years ago, watching a short-lived sitcom called Working Stiffs. I was enthralled with a very young and talented comic-turned-actor named Michael Keaton but even more so with the man who played his brother, Jim Belushi.
Since I was really just a kid, I was unable to be a real fan of John Belushi. Sure, I had heard about some of the stuff he did on Saturday Night Live and my parents talked about him a lot, but I was just too young to grasp his genius at the time. Jim, however, was a different story.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Glee' Episodes 6.3 and 6.4 Photos: A Love Triangle for Kurt
- 'Glee' Season 6 Premiere Photos: Everyone Comes Back to McKinley
- 10 Unforgettable Moments from 'The Amazing Race' Season 25
- Steroline: 9 Pivotal Moments of Stefan and Caroline's Relationship on 'The Vampire Diaries'
- 'Revenge' Episode 4.11 Photos: Will Grief Unite Emily and Victoria?
- More From BuddyTV
- Amy Adams Hosts SNL: Watch Video of Best and Worst Sketches
- Kevin Hart Hosting First SNL of 2015
- TVLine's Performers of the Week: Laurie Metcalf and Stephen Colbert
- Ratings: Amazing Race Ticks Up With Finale, Splits 3-Way Demo Win
- Mysteries of Laura Adds Boardwalk Alum Meg Steedle as Series Regular
- More From TVLine