In the script, iconic bluesmen Jake and Elwood Blues are just out of jail, and Elwood, who was raised in an orphanage, is on a mission to find his birth-parents. Aykroyd is attached to the pilot as the voice of the boys' parole officer.
'Blues Brothers' made its debut in the late 1970s as an 'SNL' sketch starring Aykroyd and the late John Belushi. The 1980 big-screen adaptation was a smashing success and cemented the characters' cult classic status.
Since its debut in 1975, 'Saturday Night Live' has been synonymous with bringing pop music to the late-night, weekend masses. Now in its 35th season on NBC, 'SNL' has indeed become the holy grail for musicians.
Over the years, many memorable performances have graced the 'SNL' stage. In this list, we select the 7 best. Some were energetic, some were raw and emotive, some were quirky and fun.
But mostly, they were all daring for broadcast television at the time.
I remember when I was a young man many years ago, watching a short-lived sitcom called Working Stiffs. I was enthralled with a very young and talented comic-turned-actor named Michael Keaton but even more so with the man who played his brother, Jim Belushi.
Since I was really just a kid, I was unable to be a real fan of John Belushi. Sure, I had heard about some of the stuff he did on Saturday Night Live and my parents talked about him a lot, but I was just too young to grasp his genius at the time. Jim, however, was a different story.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Fatal Attraction Event Series: 20 Actors Who'd Bring the Heat (and the Crazy) to Fox's Thriller Remake
- Sleepy Hollow Wants 'Angelina Jolie' to Play Ichabod's Old Flame Betsy Ross
- Ratings: Extant Returns to Series Lows
- Fall TV: Heroes vs. Big Bang vs. Greys, and Thursday's Other DVR Dilemmas
- Wet Hot American Summer: See the Star-Packed (NSFW) Trailer & Poster
- More From TVLine
- Demi Lovato Bares All in Bondage Bra and Daisy Dukes
- Donald Trump's Miss USA Pageant Will Air on REELZ
- 9 '30 Rock' Predictions That Have Come True!
- Rihanna's 'B**ch Better Have My Money' Music Video Is Finally Here and It's Totally Insane
- Matt Damon Has a Ponytail and He's Totally Pulling It Off!
- More From ET