*It's not like we're going to review every episode this season. Do you think we're insane?
Drew Carey's new career should be hosting the premiere of any new network game show that comes down the pike. That's because he has the Luck of the Irish on these shows. On the premiere of his primetime game show Power of 10 the first contestant on the first show won one million dollars. On the 36th season premiere of The Price is Right, which Drew Carey is now hosting after the retirement of legendary host Bob Barker, everyone won.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Booooo. Bob Barker is being sued.
- Dr. Phil thinks he can help Britney. I think he might be right.
- Some tours of Universal Studios come with a pit stop in Eva Longoria's trailer?
Carey began filming the 36th season of The Price is Right on August 15th. He had a slight mishap when he got his arm wrenched in one of the games, but now it sounds like smooth sailing for Carey. The Price is Right continues filming through October and apparently free tickets are still available, if you're going to be in the Los Angeles area. CBS has now made tickets available on this website.
(S01E01) Normally, I wouldn't be reviewing the premiere of a primetime game show like Power of 10. I mean, other than the object of the game, the concept is cookie cutter to the other nighttime game shows that are currently airing. You have the loud music, the spotlights racing across the stage, the reveal of the answer after the commercial break (which I find soooo annoying) and another stand-up comedian who has taken on new duties as show host.
No one will replace Bob Barker as host of The Price is Right. Not the statement you probably had in mind when you read the title of this post, but it is undeniably true. With 35 years and tens of thousands of episodes under his belt, Barker and TPIR became a single entity. And, at least in the short term, his successor would always be compared to Bob, no matter who was chosen to host the mother of all daytime game shows. Heck, the Pope could have been chosen to host and people would say 'Yea, the Pontiff is good, but he isn't Bob.'
With that out of the way I can say that Drew Carey is the right man to take the microphone as host of The Price is Right.
It looks like the long search for the new host of The Price Is Right is down to two: Sarah Silverman and David Hasselhoff.
Just kidding! The New York Post is reporting that producers have narrowed it down to two contestants: Mark Steines and Todd Newton. Steines is a host on Entertainment Tonight (he'll keep the job if he gets the PIR gig), and Newton has hosted several game shows, including a PIR show in Las Vegas. The pay for the job is reportedly near $3 million a year. Nice.
Hmmm...I'm not sure about this. But I guess they're both competent hosts. It looks like producers are going for the safer choices (male, slightly older, experienced) than going with someone like Mario Lopez or Ian Ziering.
There seems to be some confusion over what the term "OpEd" means. Well, let's concentrate on the Op part. Op is short for opinion. That's what I and many bloggers like myself express in our pieces, our opinions. As a fan of TPiR, I would be very upset to see Rosie hosting, mainly because I am not a fan of hers. I don't find her funny or entertaining. Aside from the fact that she bores me to tears, I have nothing against her.
I know most of you are going through Bob Barker withdrawl, so I thought I'd post this little clip to brighten your weekend a bit.
It comes from Bob's 50 Years in Television special that aired back in May of this year. It's been 10 years since Bob kicked the snot out of Adam Sandler in Happy Gilmore and he reminisced by playing that classic clip. After that, Adam makes an appearance on the special and woos Bob with a poem specifically written for The Price is Right host's retirement.
It's a cute little moment, and it reminds us that Bob was more than just the man who kissed all of the women and gave away all those brand new cars. He also had a mean right and left hook.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- It's going to be a long summer. The Price is Right host search is a soap opera that won't conclude until the fall.
- The Style Network wants to film themselves combining your leftovers in order to give you a sense of fulfillment.
- No one is immune! Herman Munster was a victim of identity theft, kind of.
Here are the weekly TV ratings, by number of viewers.
1. America's Got Talent (NBC)
2. So You Think You Can Dance - Thurs (FOX)
3. NBA Finals - Game 4 (ABC)
4. NCIS (CBS)
5. Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader (FOX)
6. CSI (CBS)
7. NBA Finals - Game 3 (ABC)
8. CSI: Miami (CBS)
9. Two and a Half Men (CBS)
10. Cold Case (CBS)
11. So You Think You Can Dance - Weds (FOX)
12. Law and Order: SVU (NBC)
13. Hell's Kitchen (FOX)
14. Without A Trace (CBS)
15. Shark (CBS)
16. The Price Is Right - Primetime special (CBS)
17. Daytime Emmy Awards (CBS)
18. CSI: NY (CBS)
19. Deal Or No Deal - Weds (NBC)
20. 48 Hours Mystery - Tues (CBS)
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Skating with Celebrities star Kristy Swanson found her way back into the headlines by getting into a brawl with her skating-partner-turned-boyfriend's ex-wife.
- Katharine McPhee fans are jumping on the bandwagon of sending snacks to important people.
- It doesn't matter if Rosie is the new host or not. The Price is Right is now dead to me without Bob Barker.
- At 8, CBS repeats (from this morning) Bob Barkers final Price Is Right. It's followed by the Daytime Emmy Awards.
- ABC runs a episode of Kyle XY at 8, then new episodes of National Bingo Night and 20/20.
- The CW has a new Smackdown at 8.
- TCM is showing Nancy Drew movies all night.
- Also at 8: Sci-Fi has a new Stargate SG-1, followed by new episodes of Stargate: Atlantis and Painkiller Jane.
- At 9, FOX has a new Standoff.
- Discovery has a new Man vs. Wild at 9.
- Hallmark has a new movie at 9, You've Got A Friend.
- At 10, A&E has a new Intervention.
Rosie O'Donnell has been campaigning very heavily to be the new host of The Price is Right. Personally I can't think of a worse choice for the job. I'm sure I will ruffle plenty of feathers with this list but if I can do anything to make sure she doesn't replace Bob Barker, it's worth making enemies.
5. She is too self-absorbed to care about the contestants.
Rosie can't stop talking about herself long enough to run a show like TPIR. With her as the host, Viewers would be lucky to get to see on spin of the wheel.
One of the mics that Barker used on The Price Is Right is up for sale on eBay. Right now it's at $6,700 and there have been 51 bids. It comes with a nice letter of authenticity written and signed by Barker himself. The money from the sale goes to help the United Activists for Animal Rights.
The cord that comes with it looks to be approximately 6 miles long. I think one of us should buy it and put on our own Price Is Right in our home.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Criss Angel's cement-block "escape" was kind of a joke.
- Jericho's nut campaign might just have worked. I know, I know... you told me so.
- The Price is Right just won't be the same without Bob Barker!
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Constantine' Recap: John and Papa Midnite Join Forces
- 'America's Next Top Model' Recap: Which Guy's Got Moves Like Elvis?
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: Which Team is Targeted By the Other Racers?
- Best ?Bones? Quotes from 'The Puzzler in the Pit'
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 17 Shocking Moments from 'Fade Into You'
- More From BuddyTV
- Taylor Swift Debuts 'Blank Space' at 2014 AMAs: Was It Crazy Good?
- American Music Awards Red Carpet: TV Stars from PLL, Walking Dead and More
- Major Crimes Boss Talks of TNT's Faith, 'Slithery' Stroh's Return, Spin-Off Fate
- ABC Cancels John Stamos-Led Members Only Drama Before Premiere
- Scoop: Craig Robinson's NBC Comedy Adds Greek Grad Spencer Grammer and A to Z's Lenora Crichlow
- More From TVLine
- American Music Awards 2014: The Complete Winners List (Updating Live)
- Taylor Swift and Kelly Osbourne Help Sarah Hyland Ring in Her 24th Year
- Selena Gomez Shares a Behind-the-Scenes Moment Before the 2014 AMAs
- Katy Perry Starts a Feud with Australian Paparazzi on Twitter
- 'SNL' Makes Cameron Diaz a 'Back Home Baller' and Brings Back 'Schoolhouse Rock'
- More From ET