The science behind it was crap. Even the scientist character of Jool made note of this in one of the episodes. Farscape was more of a fantasy with some scientific window dressing, much like the Star Wars movies. It speaks volumes when the central hero has the initials "J.C." like some religious icons we know.
As unveiled to a full, if partially groggy Comic-Con crowd during one of the day's first events, the DVD collection will include every episode of the show, more than 90 minutes of extra footage and 29 episode commentaries.
Henson joined series creator Rockne O'Bannon with stars Ben Browder and Claudia Black to unveil the comprehensive set of the show Henson repeatedly referred to during the panel as "psychotically ambitious" because of its mix of live-action, muppet technology, and then-state-of-the-art visual effects.
I'm a huge fan of the Muppets, but the passing of Jim Henson did somehow lessen the franchise. The stuff they've produced since has been hit-and-miss. I liked Muppets Tonight and It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, but most of the other stuff (especially the theatrical films) have fallen flat.
I do hope that Jason Segal and Nicholas Stoller will be able to breathe new life into the franchise. I did enjoy Forgetting Sarah Marshall (particularly the puppet musical), but I'm not sure how well that translates to the Muppets. My fingers are crossed.
How dare Jim Henson leave us all like this! I'm sorry. I still haven't gotten over it.
The Jim Henson Company has acquired the rights to John Chandler's The Skrumps. The company plans to create projects for both the Web and television with the quirky little monsters, including an animated program for television that will utilize the Henson Digital Performance Studio that allows puppeteers to manipulate CG characters in real-time.
The company has also added some new characters to the mix, such as Wishbone, lead singer of the band Grumblebelly, and Raisins, his adoring fan. You can see a music video featuring the characters on Yahoo Kids, as well as some video blogs. The new project is executive produced by Brian Henson, Lisa Henson, John Chandler and Craig Bartlett, creator of Hey, Arnold! Bartlett will also be a writer for the new project.
Based on the videos, I think little kids will probably love The Skrumps if they don't already know about the line of toys and books. The "real-time" animation technique is also interesting, if not somewhat limiting when compared to traditional animation.
In the movie, Gobo, Wembley, Mokey, Boober and Red finally leave the underground world of Fraggle Rock and go into what the Hensons call "outer space", otherwise known as the outside world. In fact, they'll actually interact with (gulp) human beings (what are the odds that one of them is going to be Kelly Ripa?). Zappa is involved to not only help write the screenplay, but the music for the movie, as well. No word on a title or release date just yet.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Extant' Recap: Does Molly Have Powers Now?
- 'Last Comic Standing' Recap: The Girl Who Irritated Roseanne
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 12: Top 18 Performance Rankings
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: Jason Gets Blindsided
- The Final Rose: Kaitlyn and Shawn's Fairytale Journey on 'The Bachelorette'
- More From BuddyTV
- Graceland's Serinda Swan Weighs In on Paige Hate, Unsexiest Sex Scene Ever
- Anthony Geary to General Hospital Fans: JK About That Retirement!
- Mindy Project Season 4 Twist: Mindy to Wed Big Bang Theory's Raj?!
- The CW Eyeing Dark Little Women Adaptation From NCIS Star
- Degrassi's Top 17 Couples, Ranked: Eclare vs. Fimogen and More
- More From TVLine
- Mick Jagger's Son James Looks Just Like Him!
- Salma Hayek: Racism in America Is the 'Big Elephant in the Room'
- Chris Pine Will Officially Play Wonder Woman's Love Interest!
- Miranda Lambert Says She's 'Been Living Off Caffeine & Sad Songs' After Divorce
- Did Gisele Bündchen Secretly Get Plastic Surgery in Paris?
- More From ET