broadcasting and cable
The network has been testing all twelve of its pumped-up Gladiators for steroids, according to Broadcasting & Cable (via AOL). The mag says all the performers were tested for steroids during their initial physicals and their contracts state that the network can re-test them at any time.
When I watched the season premiere, it didn't occur to me that these guys could be on steroids. I think they look pretty fit but not ridiculously huge or "juiced". That Wolf character... now he sure seems to be on something.
But as far as Carol Barbee, one the show's executive producers, fans shouldn't be making that assumption. "We are not closing this story out. We have a story to tell. It's a really rich story, and we've got it mapped out for quite a while." she told Broadcasting & Cable magazine. "The network suggested doing a two-hour movie to wrap up this story. We weren't in any way interested in closing it down."
Every time I say that I think Jon Stewart might one day go to late night TV again (network talk show-wise, I mean), people comment that there's no way he'd leave The Daily Show because it's so popular, it gets buzz, it's the perfect job for him, etc, etc. And all that happens to be true. But I also think that people change jobs on TV all the time. They want a different challenge, and often plan their moves for when a show has lost it's buzz or isn't quite as challenging anymore.
I bring this up because Broadcasting & Cable is reporting that NBC execs Jeff Zucker and Marc Graboff "wined and dined" Stewart and his agent, James Dixon. A source says no firm offer was made, but NBC made it clear they want to work with Stewart.
CNN's Anderson Cooper has just signed a new contract with the cable network, and this one is estimated to be worth $4 million dollars a year, a raise from the $2 million dollars a year he is getting under his current contract.
The Broadcasting & Cable article linked above also says that because Cooper is no longer available, producers of The Early Show are going to have to look elsewhere for a new host for the morning show. Though I never heard definitive word that Cooper was in line for the gig, just that the show was undergoing major changes.
Cooper hosts the nightly news show Anderson Cooper 360 and has started to also contribute to CBS' 60 Minutes. The new contract is a multi-year deal.
So readers...is he worth it?
[via TV Newser]
I think it's a great idea. One could argue that if everyone is able to watch the show online, they won't come back when it debuts on the network. I think the positives outweigh that negative though. As the fall season gets into gear that prime time window gets awfully crowded. And since most viewers don't have dual tuner Tivo, 2 VCRs, and a PC at the ready to catch everything they could possibly want to see, giving them the ability to watch your shows at their convenience can only increase exposure. If the show is good, they'll be back for more.
Well, anyway, now we're on B&C's radar, because they sent us a ballot for their year-end poll. In all, 67 critics were polled on what they thought was the best and worst on television in 2006. The Wire was voted Best Show and Best Drama, while The Office was voted Best Comedy. You can see the results here. They even published a few choice quotes in their "BC Beat" blog, including not one, but two quotes from Squadders (Anna and yours truly). Now, that's more like it!
If you can find it, put the link in comments and tell me what you think.
But, as far as I'm concerned, the survey is incomplete. Why? Because they didn't ask us for our picks, that's why! I mean, come on, B&C! We certainly have an opinion to give, and we certainly have as many readers as what I'm sure was some of the websites and publications you surveyed, so how 'bout giving us a call? Man, I feel like we've been stood up for the prom.
Seriously, though, if you want to see our opinions of the new fall shows, we've got them, all over the site. Just search by show name or network, and you'll find them. Maybe we'll get the call from B&C next year.
[Aric McKeown sent the link after I started writing this post, but thanks to him anyway!]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from 'Girls, Girls, Girls'
- 'Bones' 200th Episode Photos: The Gang Goes to the 1950s
- 'Bones' Episode 10.9 Photos: Does Brennan Have a Problem with Aubrey?
- 7 Thanksgiving Episodes To Escape Your Family Drama -- Available to Stream Now
- 'Supernatural' Recap: The Truth About Rowena is Revealed
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Game of Thrones Season 5 Teaser, Netflix Nabs Coven and More
- Sneak Peek: Jessie Holidays With Teen Beach Star, Liv and Maddie's Bros
- Late Late Show to Fill 9-Week Gap: 10 Male Guest Hosts, a Week of The Talk
- Kingdom Sneak Peek: Jay Does 'Curls for the Girls,' Hunts Nate's Attacker
- Revenge Sneak Peek: Ben Makes Emily an Offer She Can't Refuse
- More From TVLine
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Winner Alfonso Ribeiro Talks Big Win, Tour
- The Olsen Twins' Holiday Gift Guide Is Every Bit as Weird and Crazy Expensive as You Think
- Flashback: Mariah Carey's 'All I Want for Christmas Is You' Turns 20!
- Kendall Jenner Sets the Record Straight On All Those Bullying Rumors with These Insane 'Dazed' Covers
- John Legend on His Wife Chrissy Teigen: It Wasn't Love at First Sight
- More From ET