When I think about the Olympics I don't think about the grandeur of the competitions, the feeling of global community, the individual stories of the athletes, or the mesmerizing synchronized swimming routines. The one thing that comes to mind when I think about the Olympics: anonymity. Out of the thousands of athletes that compete in these games many fade into the daily routine of their countries once the Closing Ceremony is completed.
Yet, there are a handful, particularly the up-and-coming stars of each Olympic games, that remain in the spotlight well after the torch has been extinguished. Some continue into the professional sports realm, others become "experts" in their field, and some jump into another profession altogether. Then there are those who enjoy the television spotlight so much that they remain in the medium in one capacity or another.
Sometimes it's as themselves on other television properties. Other times they dabble into the acting field with mixed results. Here are seven Olympic athletes who continued their careers on television in one form or another.
Keeping Up follows Khloe, her sister Kourtney and the infamous Kim Kardashian as they deal with their family (mom Kris Jenner is married to former Olympic champion Bruce Jenner) and life in LA as they try to stay in the public eye. Previous episodes have dealt with the fallout from Kim's sex tape, Kourtney's underage naked photos, and Khloe's DUI arrest. As Lisa Berger, E!'s executive VP original programming and series development understates, "There is never a shortage on drama, and we are certain the new season will be another wild ride,"
People are definitely watching. While its numbers would get a network show canceled in a heartbeat, Keeping Up with the Kardashians' 1.6 million viewer average makes it a hit on E! Ten episodes have been ordered for season 3, which will premiere early next year.
This episode was really a drag. And when I say "drag", I mean that they really dragged this one out to fill an entire hour without actually announcing the winners. The episode began with a recap of who got voted off when, and then all the skaters returned for encore performances. Todd Bridges is awkward and mechanical on the ice, reminding everybody why he was the first one to be booted off this competition. Kurt Browning is sporting a bald head? In the middle of the show all the teams resurrected previous routines that they skated, an element otherwise known as a time suck.
Just a quick recap: last week we bid farewell to the not-very-graceful Dave Coulier and Nancy Kerrigan. Before that, Deborah Gibson and Kurt Browning were out, and the first team eliminated was Todd Bridges and Jenni Meno.
Did host Scott Hamilton get taller since last week? Summer Sanders doesn't seem to tower over him as much tonight. Or, maybe I'm just used to seeing them together now so the height difference doesn't bother me as much. Well, the "witty" banter still sucks.
Let's get it on...
Isn't it sad how the announcer refers to Dave Coulier as being from Full House? I guess it could be worse. He could say, "Dave Coulier, allegedly the subject of Alanis Morrisette's very bitter You Oughta Know." I actually think he may be more famous for that.
Anyway... on with the show.
Here's what you need to know about the show, if you're joining me in adding this show to your viewing schedule:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 11: Top 14 Performance Rankings
- August 2014: Don't Miss These 15 TV Shows and Events
- 'Real Housewives' Roundup: NeNe's New Gig, Kristen's Marriage and All-New 'Wives
- 'Teen Wolf' Interview: Dylan O'Brien and Shelley Hennig Tease a Rocky Future for Stiles and Malia
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Team America's 4th Mission
- More From BuddyTV
- Sharknado 2 Takes Much Bigger Chomp Out of Ratings, Up 180% Vs. Original
- Emmys Poll 2014: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actress in a Drama?
- TVLine Items: SNL Alum Visits B99, Scandal, CSI Castings and More
- Rectify Sneak Peek: See What Inspires Amantha to Scream 'Eff That!'
- Girls Courts Spike Jonze for Guest-Starring Role in Season 4
- More From TVLine
- Lady Gaga: My Clothes Have a Soul and I Can See It
- Katy Perry Celebrates the Good Life in Trippy 'This Is How We Do' Video
- Watch Brody Jenner Smack a Man For Touching Kendall Jenner's Butt
- Anne Geddes Adorable Babies Are Heading ‘Under the Sea'
- Get Your First Look at Disney's 'Into the Woods'!
- More From ET