I haven't watched Live with Regis & Kelly in a while, but I tuned in today because it was Regis' first appearance on the show since heart surgery weeks ago and David Letterman was going to be the first guest. Throughout the entire show, Kelly kept saying that they had an incredible surprise for Regis. I even think she said that we should get our recording devices ready. Was Kathie Lee Gifford going to make an appearance? Was the entire Notre Dame football team going to carry Regis on their shoulders?
Reeg has been recovering from triple-bypass heart surgery for the last six weeks. Dave and Regis have always had some weird, sort-of love/hate relationship. When Dave has his own heart bypass surgery in 2000, Regis stepped in several times to host for him. Regis did the same when Letterman was out with the shingles in 2003.
Dave didn't step in to host with Regis, but that's probably a good thing because I think Dave would've killed Kelly Ripa on live television. And he doesn't exactly have a sunny disposition to match the cheerful morning show. According to his IMDB bio, the last time Dave was on Regis' show was in 2004 when Kathie Lee was still co-hosting.
It's not yet clear who is going to fill in for Regis, or for how long. It will probably be a rotating list of celebrity hosts. I can only hope that David Letterman will make an appearance or two- since Regis was so supportive and filled in for him when he had his quintuple bypass 7 years ago.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- What to Watch Wednesday: Modern Family Down Under, Nashville in Concert, Survivor and More
- American Idol Exclusive: Top 6 Song Spoilers!
- Did You Fall For MTV's Faking It?
- The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: Did the Right Contestants Get Cut This Week? [Updated]
- Glee Recap: 'Tonight, You Are a Star'
- More From TVLine
- First Look At Chloe Moretz and Denzel Washington In 'The Equalizer'
- Brad Pitt and Brett Ratner Enter Low-Budget Horror World With '3 Videotapes'
- Has Nicki Ever Been 'The Other Woman'? Lance Bass Gets the Dirt
- 5 Seconds of Summer Remember Their Big Break
- Is Tori Spelling Sharing Too Much About Husband's Cheating?
- More From ET