I haven't watched Live with Regis & Kelly in a while, but I tuned in today because it was Regis' first appearance on the show since heart surgery weeks ago and David Letterman was going to be the first guest. Throughout the entire show, Kelly kept saying that they had an incredible surprise for Regis. I even think she said that we should get our recording devices ready. Was Kathie Lee Gifford going to make an appearance? Was the entire Notre Dame football team going to carry Regis on their shoulders?
Reeg has been recovering from triple-bypass heart surgery for the last six weeks. Dave and Regis have always had some weird, sort-of love/hate relationship. When Dave has his own heart bypass surgery in 2000, Regis stepped in several times to host for him. Regis did the same when Letterman was out with the shingles in 2003.
Dave didn't step in to host with Regis, but that's probably a good thing because I think Dave would've killed Kelly Ripa on live television. And he doesn't exactly have a sunny disposition to match the cheerful morning show. According to his IMDB bio, the last time Dave was on Regis' show was in 2004 when Kathie Lee was still co-hosting.
It's not yet clear who is going to fill in for Regis, or for how long. It will probably be a rotating list of celebrity hosts. I can only hope that David Letterman will make an appearance or two- since Regis was so supportive and filled in for him when he had his quintuple bypass 7 years ago.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Extant Recap: The Unkindest Cut
- Sharknado 2: The 13 Best Worst Lines and 13 Fishiest Leaps of Logic
- So You Think You Can Dance Recap: It's Just Emotions, Taking Me Over
- ABC's The Quest Mixes Fantasy and Reality (With Dragons on the Side)
- Scoop: Warren Kole Is 'Following' Kevin Williamson to CBS' Stalker
- More From TVLine
- Fox News Anchor Bob Beckel Calls 'Bachelorette' Andi Dorfman A 'Slut'
- Zooey Deschanel Tweets Star Studded Set Photo From 'Rock The Kasbah'
- Lily Allen Praises Miley Cyrus' Stage Skills Before Opening For Her On 'Bangerz' Tour
- Ireland Baldwin on Social Media: 'Instagram is Behind the Times'
- Vin Diesel Covers Sam Smith... And Yes, It's Everything.
- More From ET