It's not that she's not talented, successful or funny. It's just an odd choice, putting a comedian on the show that takes its goal of crushing losers' dreams on live television so seriously. It would evoke the same reaction from me if they picked Andrew "Dice" Clay as the new judge, if the Diceman was talented, successful or funny.
And besides, why do they need humor and comedy on such an otherwise serious show? There are lots of humorless, vapid and downright boring shows that are crying out for comedic interjection.
I didn't even realize this until just now, when I was surfing around doing my "What's On" post, but Stephen Colbert is going to be on C-SPAN2 at 11:30 tonight. He's going to be part of a breakfast panel at BookExpo America, along with Ken Burns, Khaled Housseini, and Lisa See. Should be fun.
Colbert has a new book coming out on October 9, but it looks like he's doing promotion for it a little early, which is good news for us. I'm not sure if this is a brand new show or something repeated from the past week or so, but if you haven't seen it, it's new to you (to borrow an old NBC phrase)!
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 21: Week 4 Performance Rankings
- 'The Voice' Season 9: Meet Adam Levine's Team
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Episode 3.2 Photos: Abbie and Crane Face Their Demons
- 'Blindspot' Episode 5 Photos: Jane Meets Weller's Family
- 'Scream Queens' Episode 5 Photos: Will Chanel Get Her Pumpkin Patch Party?
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Tricia Helfer on Powers, Reign Casting Shake-Up and More
- Strain EPs Clear the Air on Nora's Fate, Tease a 'Different, Faster' Season 3
- ABC Family Changing Name to Freeform — Do You Love It or Hate It?
- Empire First Look: Adam Rodriguez Enters Cookie's Lair
- Video: Jessica Jones Gets Some Air
- More From TVLine
- Ashley Judd Details Alleged Sexual Harassment by Hollywood Mogul
- Neil Patrick Harris Is Here for Your Pleasure
- 'The League' Star Steve Rannazzisi Apologizes, Reveals Backstory Behind 9/11 Lie
- 'Twilight' Gets a Surprise, Gender-Swapped Rewrite for 10th Anniversary Celebration
- Sandra Bullock: Having a Child 'Forces You to Get Your Sh*t Together'
- More From ET