(S03E13)"Friends don't let friends' fathers go to the electric chair." -- Angela, on why she wouldn't testify against Bones' dad
Doubt. A word that many of us use in some context at least once a day. We don't doubt it, we doubt it happened or, used in a positive manner, we prove that there isn't any doubt about it. In the legal world the word has a much more powerful connotation. Should a shred of doubt exist during a criminal trial, there is always that slim chance that the judge or jury will see past the crime of the defendant and rule in the opposite manner.
Sometimes, the physical evidence that the prosecution provides is the reason for doubt. Other times, it is the testimony of the witnesses that causes the judge or jury to think. Then, there are those times where doubt is seeded by the team of lawyers who are trying to get their client off.
Finally, there are those very rare occasions where the doubt is provided by the client's daughter. Guess which type of doubt was used in this week's episode of Bones?
(S03E02) I've noticed something new about the opening sequences to Bones this season. Rather than starting the scene with Booth and Bones walking into the middle of the investigation we actually see how it all happens. This week we got to see the soccer mom's mini-van blow up. And, what an explosion it was! Did anyone catch the leg that came flying out of of the smoke and flame? How about the fact that her hands were melted onto the steering wheel while the rest of her body went in various directions?
The charred body itself didn't make me queasy. I've watched enough episodes of the series that one charred body is like another charred body. However, when Bones (or was it Cam? I can't remember) pulled out the piece of the victim's tongue as well as a bit of brain matter for additional evidence I got a bit ooged out. All of the insects eating the charred flesh off of the victim's bones to clean them off didn't make me feel too hot either.
This, of course, means that Bones was in fine form this week.
(S02E17) It was forced. The tension that Booth and Bones exhibited during the episode didn't seem natural at all. Yes, it was explained that their differences had increased since Sully hopped a yacht down to the warm oceans of the Caribbean, but it just didn't seem convincing to me. Especially when Booth kept saying to Temperance that they should go talk to Seely's shrink about this all. It was like he was stirring the pot just to get Bones to come along with him.
With that being said, there were some real tension-filled moments. The one that stands out for me is during one of the interrogation scenes with Bones, Booth and Father William. Bones being Bones she mentioned something about not worshiping Loki anymore or something like that, and then chuckled. Not only did the Father glare at her, but Booth gave her one of the angriest looks I've seen him give her on this show.
Now, the scenes with our two detectives speaking with Gordon Wyatt made up for that real and imaginary tension. I particularly liked how he spoke to both of them away from their natural habitats -- Booth in the labs of the Jeffersonian Institution and Bones in the interrogation room at the FBI offices. Those scenes helped add a layer of depth onto Bones and Booth that we hadn't noticed before, or hadn't realized until Gordon mentioned it. I point out Temperance in this because Wyatt hit the nail on the head about Bones' frustration that she couldn't capture the essence of Booth's 'sixth sense'
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Summer Projects: What Are Your Favorite TV Stars Up To?
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Was the Power of Veto Used in Week 6?
- 'The 100' Season 3 Interview: Eliza Taylor Teases Clarke's 'Going to Be Losing Her Mind'
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Predictions: Which Two Dancers Will Leave the Top 16?
- 'True Detective' Recap: Everyone's on the Run for Their Lives as a Detective Bites the Dust
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: American Crime Plot Scoop, Transparent Return Date & More
- CSI Finale Photos: Marg Helgenberger Shares 'Grillows' Reunion and More
- Sleepy Hollow Season 3: Hasta la Vista, Headless!
- Scoop: Carla Gugino Joins Showtime's Cameron Crowe Pilot Roadies, Replacing Christina Hendricks
- Legends of Tomorrow Casts Reckless Actor as Hawkman
- More From TVLine
- Nearly Naked Rihanna Takes Over Kadooment Day Parade With Best Costume Yet
- Will Smith Shuts Down Jada Pinkett Smith Divorce Rumors: 'I'll Tell You Myself!'
- Reba McEntire Announces Separation From Husband Narvel Blackstock
- Beyonce Sparks More Pregnancy Rumors as She Covers Her Stomach in Flowy Dress
- Carrie Underwood Looks Incredible During Music Video Shoot Just 5 Months After Giving Birth
- More From ET