Two ABC News journalists were ambushed and killed in Iraq as they were headed home from the ABC News Baghdad bureau yesterday, ABC announced.
Thirty-three-year-old cameraman Alaa Uldeen Aziz, and 26-year-old soundman Saif Laith Yousuf were in their car when they were "reportedly ambushed and they were killed by unknown assailants" after being "stopped by two cars full of gunmen," ABC's web site reported. The network's Baghdad correspondent, Terry McCarthy said, "Today we've lost two family members, and it really hurts."
One hundred and four journalists have been killed while covering the Iraq War, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists. Notably, one of ABC's anchors, Bob Woodruff, sustained serious injuries while covering Iraq in January 2006.
While in Torino, JL has also blogged about some celebrity sightings of Brian Williams and Italian sports hero Alberto Tomba. He's an entertaining writer who takes some pretty candid (and funny) photos, so I would highly recommend bookmarking his website for the duration of the Olympics.
ABC World News Tonight anchor Bob Woodruff, who was injured in the same attack on Jan. 29, remains sedated. His injuries, to his upper torso, head, face, and brain, are much more serious than Vogt's. Doctors say that Woodruff is showing signs of improvement, but his road to recovery is going to be much longer and harder than Vogt's. In the meantime, ABC News chose to move Woodruff's co-anchor, Elizabeth Vargas, off the anchor desk and replace her, at least temporarily, with Charlie Gibson and Diane Sawyer.
The two are listed in stable but critical condition, after being flown to the "green zone" where military doctors operated on them. ABC is providing continuous updates on their conditions here.
Concidentally, today's Washington Post features an article about Woodruff and his co-anchor, Elizabeth Vargas. In the article, Woodruff says his goal is "to be the best damn foreign correspondent I could be."
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Last Man on Earth: Will Forte Weighs in on That Cameo You Might've Missed
- Battle Creek: Does This Procedural Boast CBS' Better Odd Couple?
- Secrets and Lies: What's Your Verdict on ABC's New Murder Mystery?
- Downton Abbey Season Finale Recap: 'Proposals and Propositions'
- Good Wife Recap: Cash Twenty-Two
- More From TVLine
- Is Carly Rae Jepsen's 'I Really Like You' the New 'Call Me Maybe'?
- For ‘RuPaul's Drag Race' Mainstream Is Jumping the Shark
- Did Dakota Johnson's 'SNL' ISIS Sketch Go Too Far?
- Taylor Swift Will Never, Ever Talk About Katy Perry Again
- Jaime King Names Taylor Swift Godmother of her Unborn Child -- See the Pics!
- More From ET