She told the world that the women of animation aren't just vehicles for humor or straight characters to set up punchlines for the males on the paper. She helped us realize they have thoughts, feelings, emotions and yes, even urges that make them unique, infinitely interesting and utterly fascinating. They are, as Dr. Frasier Crane so eloquently put it, "like a fine wine: always intoxicated, ever surprising and only getting better with age."
And so, for the cause of gender equality and female empowerment, here are the ten cartoon chicks who should pose naked because it would be righteously awesome.
New TV DVDs, on sale tomorrow.
- Bozo's Circus - Bozo The World's Famous Clown
- Captain N and The Adventures of Super Mario Brothers - Complete Series
- Casper: Best of Vol. 1 and Vol. 2
- Gomer Pyle, USMC - Season 2
- Hannah Montana - Vol. 2
- Miami Vice - Season 5
- Monk - Season 5
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Collection: Vol. 11
- The New Adventures of Batman - Complete Series
- The New Adventures of Superman
- Psych - Season 1
- Reno 911 - Season 4
- Spenser: For Hire movies - Ceremony and Pale Kings
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores today.
- Captain N: The Game Master - Complete Series
- DaVinci's Inquest - Season 1
- Dog The Bounty Hunter - Best of Season 3
- The Doris Day Show - Season 4
- The Flip Wilson Show - Best Of Flip Wilson
- Ghostbusters - Vol. 1
- Girlfriends - Season 1
- The Immortal - Complete Series
- Magnum, P.I. - Season 6
- Reno 911 - Most Wanted Uncensored
- The Rockford Files - Season 3
Like Saturday Supercade followed Atari in the '80s, Captain N: The Game Master followed the success of Nintendo in the '90s. Not unlike The Last Starfighter, in which a young man's video game skills are utilized to defeat an evil alien army, Kevin's talent for defeating various Nintendo games results in his being turned into a cartoon a la Kid Video and sucked into a strange land inhabited by a menagerie of product placements.
I was a Nintendo geek, so I remember watching this growing up, though not much of it has stayed with me. Watching some clips on YouTube, it's easier to see now that the show was essentially a half hour commercial like pretty much any other series based on a toy or game. There were some interesting touches, such as the use of video game sound effects. Ultimately, though, it's a half hour of bad dialogue and bad animation. Perhaps it would have some nostalgic value to folks my age, but it's mostly a relic of its time.
The four-disc set will be available February 13, 2007 from Shout! Factory.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Chicago Fire Season 4: Casey Has Gone Missing! — What Happens Next?
- A.D. The Bible Continues Cancelled
- Is Detective Truly a Snooze? Is UnReal Couple 'Shippable? LOLcats on Zoo? Dreadful Heartbreak? And More TV Qs
- Ratings: Hannibal, Rookie, Beast Steady on Soft Holiday Eve; Dome Drops
- Fireworks! 25 Explosive TV Moments, Including Thrones Death, Once's Dark Hero, an Inhuman Twist and More
- More From TVLine
- Taylor Swift Gets a Piggy Back Ride From Boyfriend Calvin Harris -- See the Adorable Pic!
- What's the Secret Behind Taylor Swift's Unstoppable Power?
- Jennifer Hudson Readies for Her Broadway Debut in ‘The Color Purple'
- Glory Johnson Announces She's Pregnant With Twins, Ex Brittney Griner Remains Mum
- Photos of Bobbi Kristina Brown in Hospice Care Selling for $100,000
- More From ET