May 30, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 13th 2010 4:00PM
Normally, you'd think it odd to spotlight a series that lasted four seasons in a column like 'Gone Too Soon.' But 'Soap' was a different kind of series. Like the soap operas it was mocking, it was a premise that could have gone on for years and years. In fact, there's no reason to imagine that it couldn't still be on today.
From 1977 to 1981, Susan Harris crafted what would become a timeless comedy classic for ABC. But despite high ratings throughout its run, 'Soap' would only see four seasons, abruptly ending on a slew of cliffhangers that have frustrated fans for decades.
Despite that, the stellar cast and writing have stood the test of time in a way very few television series can, even if the wardrobes haven't. 'Soap' is as relevant and hilarious today as it was more than thirty years ago now. It deserved a longer life, and both the series and its fans deserved a true ending to Harris' brilliant vision.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 21 Best Finale Cliffhangers of the 2014-2015 TV Season
- 15 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2015
- Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Woman in the Whirlpool'
- 'The Whispers' Season Premiere and Cast Photos
- 'UnREAL' Cast Photos: Meet the Bachelor, Contestants and Production Folks from 'Everlasting'
- More From BuddyTV
- Castle Shocker: Penny Johnson Jerald Not Returning for Season 8
- Chicago Med: Arrow Alum Colin Donnell Joins Spinoff as Series Regular
- Teen Wolf: Five Teases from the Twisted Season 5 Premiere
- American Odyssey: Allison Mack Learns a Big Secret From Odelle's Daughter
- TVLine Items: Married Parents Cast, Oil Renamed, GH's New Dillon and More
- More From TVLine
- Beyonce, Drake Videos Sync Up Perfectly With 'DuckTales' Theme
- Bruce Jenner Lands July Cover of 'Vanity Fair'
- The 15 Best Natural Disaster Films of All Time
- The Charity Work You Didn't Know Kim Kardashian Was Doing
- Singer Sarah Blackwood on Being Booted From United Flight: 'A Big Mess Over Nothing'
- More From ET