Super Bowl XL
Super Bowl Squares game (closed now, but check the results!)
- Should the NFL let advertisers use the words "Super Bowl"?
- Anna's Super Bowl Guide for Dummies.
- ABC puts a 5-second delay on their Super Bowl broadcast.
- The Five things to watch instead of the Super Bowl.
- Rock Star auditions announced.
- "Grandpa" Al Lewis passes away.
- Nikki Cox and Jay Mohr are engaged (at least Mohr's more plausible than Bobcat Goldthwait).
- CBS.com will sell new episodes of Survivor for download.
- Christian groups criticize upcoming Will & Grace episdoe.
- Heather Locklear files for divorce from Richie Sambora.
- Amanda Peet signs on for new Aaron Sorkin show.
- Full House's Stephanie dicusses meth addiction.
- Gibson and Sawyer to sub for Woodruff on World News Tonight.
- John Roberts to move from CBS to CNN.
- Are you going to watch the Winter Olympics?
- Is America finally getting tired of Dr. Phil?
- Should our own Sarah Gilbert make the Taco Town "taco"?
- Are there any good shows you keep forgetting to watch?
- Why is Idol sending bad singers to Hollywood?
- Is Bob Woodruff's war injury getting too much attention?
- The inevitable happens as lawsuits against author James Frey are filed.
- Movies Jonathan would like to see made into TV shows.
- Hottest female TV personalities over 60.
- HGTV shows Anna is addicted to.
- Past Survivors that should be sent to Exile Island.
- Adam loves Kerri Kenney-Silver of Reno 911!
- He also thinks that TV characters must all be deaf.
- Dave Chappelle wasn't very clear on Oprah, according to Anna.
- Adam digs up a Hanna-Barbera-themed Kings Island brochure from 1972.
- Bob's wonders why Idol said they had auditions in Austin when they really didn't.
- He also hates it when a show's credits are sped up and pushed to the side.
- I really enjoyed Craig Ferguson's tribute to his dad on The Late Late Show.
For this list, I decided to consider all women over 60, not just the ones that were between 60 and 69. The reason for that was simple: can you think of any woman on the air that's over 70 or 80? I can only think of two over-70 women, both of whom are on the Honorable Mentions list. And the one over-80 woman I can think of is Betty White, whom I've never really considered to be all that sexy (covers head waiting for the tomatoes to fly in). Oh, and for those who say "Diane Keaton": I love her and think she's extremely sexy, but I still primarily think of her as a film actress, even though she's been doing a lot of TV movies lately.
So, after the jump, my list of women who would make for a hot date and get a discount at the movies at the same time. Who could beat that?
Jodie Sweetin, who played middle child Stephanie on Full House, discussed her addiction to methamphetamines on Good Morning America yesteday morning. Apparently, after the show ended in 1995, she wanted to go back to being a normal kid, but found the "normal life" a little boring. She married a police officer at 20, and by 22 had a raging meth habit that got so bad she needed an intervention from John Stamos, Bob Saget, and yes, the aforementioned Olsens to straighten her out (I wonder if they then turned the tables and had an intervention for Mary-Kate about her eating disorder).
She's sober now, in the process of divorcing her husband, and wants to pick her acting career up again at the ripe old age of 24. We wish her luck.
Can we take bets on the next child star to either get arrested or go to rehab? I'll take Jonathan Lipnicki if no one else wants him.
[via Pop Candy]
Then Craig had Dr. Drew Pinsky on to talk about the loss of a parent and pay further tribute. The interview -- what I saw of it, since it was getting late -- was not at all hokey or inappropriate; Dr. Drew was able to get Craig to open up a little more and was able to relate his emotions to ones that everyone feels when they lose a loved one. Again, it was fascinating to watch.
But I didn't see who was on after Dr. Drew. Can anyone who watched it let me know what happened after that?
Video of the monologue, by the way, is at the CBS web site.
(A good example: I went with my buddy Roger, a Chiller veteran. While we were there, he found out that one of his friends bought some rare Japanese monster toys for $23,000 at the show. Another guy dropped $5500 on a single monster toy. The people who go here are hardcore, to say the least.)
But what has always intrigued me about this convention are the celebrities that attend. Unlike Star Trek or other show- and genre-specific conventions, Chiller usually gathers fallen celebrities from all over the entertainment spectrum. That is what brought me to the convention on Saturday.
Anyway, in case you've missed it -- perhaps you were busy putting your name in a square for the Super Bowl -- here are some highlights from the last week at TV Squad:
Oprah bakes James Frey's scrod
- Oprah confronts Frey about his "memoir" A Million Little Pieces.
- I give Winfrey credit for admitting she made a mistake.
- Oprah's fans are not happy that she publicly berated Frey.
- 60 Minutes director Arthur Bloom dead at 63.
- NFL Network to air Saturday and Thursday games in 2006.
- Strangers with Candy movie to come out in June.
- Man comes forward to claim he had a tryst with Clay Aiken.
- San Diego auditions for The Biggest Loser canceled.
- Tracy Morgan fights DUI charges.
- Josie Bissett and Rob Estes divorce.
- Will ABC pick up Scrubs for next season?
- Richard Hatch found guilty of tax evasion.
- Christopher Penn dead at 43.
- The Book of Daniel is canceled.
- The WB and UPN to merge into "The CW".
- My Name Is Earl shuts down due to Jason Lee's chicken pox.
- NBC denies Friends reunion rumors.
- The West Wing is officially canceled.
- Easter eggs in the last episode of Lost.
- Should The O.C. have introduced a "sexy" teenaged character?
- How I Met Your Mother semi-spoiler about Ted and Buttercup.
- There's an "alternate" DHARMA initiative video floating around (It's a Lost reference. Yeah, I had no idea, either).
- Can YOU understand what they're saying on Love Monkey?
- What would you name the new CW network?
- Enter our Super Bowl
squares game by telling us what you like and don't like about TV Squad.
- Bob thinks Paris Bennett is going to win American Idol.
- Anna thinks Josh Holloway is ssssmmmokin'.
- Is a Magnum P.I. movie really necessary?
- We kept you in the dark about Arrested Development. But it was for a good reason. Promise.
- The slow pacing of the Lost mystery is driving Brad Hill nuts.
But I have to give her a lot of credit for not only confronting James Frey on her show Thursday, but for admitting that she made a mistake in initially defending him on Larry King Live a couple of weeks ago. She realized that, although she supported the message of the book, that the truth is what counts the most. During the course of the show, she showed a fantastic human side, showing flashes of anger, frustration, and humiliation, her voice cracking at certain points during her interview with Frey. She seemed especially dismayed that the facts about the suicide of Frey's lover Lilly, who he supposedly couldn't save from hanging herself a day after his "jail sentence" ended, were also changed.
(The only thing that bugs me a little is that the article says that the Report is Colbert's third collaboration with Amy Sedaris, after Exit 57 and Strangers With Candy. One little problem: Amy is nowhere to be found in the IMDb listing for the Report. Doesn't seem like her type of humor, anyway.)
My favorite detail in the interview is how Colbert dives into how his set was designed: "[I]f you look at the design, it all does, it all points at my head. And even radial lines on the floor, and on my podium, and watermarks in the images behind me, and all the vertices, are right behind my head. So there's a sort of sun-god burst quality about the set around me. And I love that. That's status."
Ahh, young love. Here's one for you and although I'm not sure how accurate it is, I have found a number of sources reporting it. Lost co-stars Dominic Monaghan and Evangeline Lilly (who play Charlie and Kate respectively) have been dating for a while now. I know that's been in the news and if you didn't hear about it, these pics should explain it all. Now they're supposedly engaged.
A British tabloid is reporting that they're heading to the UK so Monaghan can introduce the bride to be to his family. Take it for what it's worth, but I hope this has some validity to it because I think they're kind of cute together. I should probably stop sending Evangeline those love letters though...
Well, we've got more news for you: It ain't gonna happen, at least according to NBC.
Here's the update from Jonathan:
"Consider this rumor dead as most of us wisely assumed from the get go. Access Hollywood had this to say earlier today, with a direct quote from Jeff Zucker (CEO of NBC Universal's TV Group) squashing the rumors.
Also, many thanks to TV Squad's own Ryan j Budke, who spent numerous hours on the phone this morning with NBC's Media Relations Department, who had this to say: 'There are currently no plans to have any follow-up to Friends other than Joey, which is still a major part of our comedy line-up and we whole-heartedly support. The rumors started this weekend are just that; rumors. We wish the rest of the cast of Friends continued success in their careers, and would welcome them back at any time, but there are currently no plans for them to appear in their Friends roles.' "
- Charlie Rose: Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and Mae Jemison
- The Daily Show: Fred Barnes
- The Colbert Report: David Gregory
- The Late Show With David Letterman: Anthony Hopkins
- Jay Leno: Jennifer Lopez, James Carville, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Sarah McLachlan
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Forest Whitaker, David Guest, and Feist
- Late Night With Conan O'Brien: Anthony Hopkins, Caroline Rhea, and Mick Foley (repeat)
- The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson: Steven Wright, Anthony Hamilton, and Lola Glaudini (repeat)
- Last Call With Carson Daly: Seth Myers, Amos Lee, and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (repeat)
As you remember, in 1992 the teenaged Fisher shot Mary Jo in the head while she was having an affair with Joey, who is 18 years her senior. During the special, Joey wants to ask Amy why she shot her then-wife, but I'm sure Amy has a few questions for Joey, too. Like, for instance, did that big gut of his come from too much manicotti or too much beer?
Well I suppose this had to happen sooner or later... I was just expecting it to be later. Much later. But I figure a failed and unfunny spin-off (sorry Joey fans... if there are any of you) will get the gears in motion faster. Okay, here goes: just a little over a year and half since the airing of the series finale, all six principle cast members of the NBC hit sitcom Friends have agreed to star in four one hour specials. Wait, that's like eight regular episodes... I rule at math.
Writers are already blasting out the scripts and we can expect them to air sometime in 2007. So we've got a bit of a wait but in the meantime we can also continue to salivate at this: the potential for another Friends spin-off. This time, Perry, Schwimmer... and yes, LeBlanc would star in a new sitcom tentatively titled It's a Guy Thing. Executives have hinted at it, but nothing is set in stone. Can't say that I blame them though. With the nose dive NBC took this season, I'd be milking the Friends teat for all it's worth too. Granted, this could all be bogus because you never know with a story like this but fingers are crossed so take it for what it's worth.
[Thanks so much to Dave for bringing this to our attention.]
UPDATE (1/23): Consider this rumor dead as most of us wisely assumed from the get go. Access Hollywood had this to say earlier today, with a direct quote from Jeff Zucker (CEO of NBC Universal's TV Group) squashing the rumors.
Also, many thanks to TV Squad's own Ryan j Budke who spent numerous hours on the phone this morning with NBC's Media Relations Department, who had this to say: "There are currently no plans to have any follow-up to Friends other than Joey, which is still a major part of our comedy line-up and we whole-heartedly support. The rumors started this weekend are just that; rumors. We wish the rest of the cast of Friends continued success in their careers, and would welcome them back at any time, but there are currently no plans for them to appear in their Friends roles."
So there ya go folks. Sorry if we got your hopes up.
TV Squad gets obsessive about Lost
- Is there a hidden clue to the show's timeline?
- When did Jack get his tattoos?
- Our podcast analyzing "The Hunting Party" episode.
- The Office's Dwight weighs in on the show on his blog.
- Recap of "The Hunting Party" episode.
- What are some of the stars of previous Idols up to?
- Twin contestants arrested. Apparently not for the first time.
- Previous seasons to start showing in syndication.
- Jessica Sierra stalked.
- Ratings for Idol season premiere go through the roof.
- Recap of the Denver auditions.
- Clarkson grows a pair, refuses to license her music for Idol.
- She then loses said pair; negotiates with Idol after being ripped by Cowell.
- The Five: Reasons why Anna will watch American Idol.
- The Five: Reasons why Anna shouldn't watch American Idol.
- Four straight-to-DVD Futurama features are in the works.
- Miss Oklahoma crowned Miss America.
- Tony Fransciosa passes away.
- Rich Hatch claims he cut tax deal with Survivor producers.
- CBS drops Nick Jr. programming.
- The Daily Show's Bee and Jones have a baby.
- Bill Maher to do half-hour talk infomercial for Amazon.
- NBC to bring back Last Comic Standing.
- Fox exec says return of Arrested Development is "highly unlikely".
- Isaac Hayes hospitalized for exhaustion.
- iTunes downloads have led to better ratings for The Office and other shows.
- ABC halts production on Emily's Reasons Why Not.
- Here's who won the TV categories at the Golden Globes.
- Paris Hilton is stupid (not really news, but I couldn't figure out where to put this).
- Should Mizrahi work the Oscars red carpet?
- What do you think a TV director does?
- Anna's replacing her TiVo; wants DVR recommendations.
- Here's what she decided to get.
- What do you watch on a day off from work?
- Adam's favorite Tom and Jerry episodes.
- Worst characters on good shows
- Stars Bob would like to see back on TV.
- Bob's favorite comfort shows.
- TV stars and cartoons that look alike.
- Adam wonders if the new Voltron series is ever coming out.
- Annie hopes the SNL writers don't screw up the upcoming Steve Martin/Prince episode.
- Here are other jobs Bob would like to see celebrities perform on TV.
- Bob live blogs the Golden Globes red carpet.
- Bob's reached the saturation point with Seinfeld.
- SNL: Peter Sarsgaard & The Strokes
- The Book of Daniel: "Assignation"
- Battlestar Galactica: "Epiphanies"
- The Office: "The Secret"
- Project Runway: The Sasha Cohen Competition
- Invasion: "Power"
- Gilmore Girls: "Just Like Gwen and Gavin"
- Love Monkey: "Pilot"
- 24: "7:00 - 8:00 AM" / "8:00 - 9:00 AM"
- The West Wing: "Internal Displacement"
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelor' Season 18 Premiere Photos: Juan Pablo's Journey Begins
- 'American Horror Story: Coven': 17 Shocking Moments from 'The Sacred Taking'
- Best 'Arrow' Quotes from 'The Scientist'
- 'Arrow' Season 2 Fall Finale Photos: Roy in Trouble
- 'Nashville': 18 Surprising Moments from 'I'm Tired of Pretending'
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Doctor Who' Christmas special: The Doctor spanks his 'girlfriend' Clara - Watch
- 'Beauty and the Beast': Tom Everett Scott to recur in 2014
- 'Orphan Black' season 2 spoilers: Sarah and Rachel wage a war
- Dianna Agron, Heather Morris returning for 'Glee' 100th episode
- 'From Dusk Till Dawn' TV show has at least one 'Pulp Fiction' connection
- More From Zap2it
- Sleepy Hollow's Orlando Jones on Capt. Irving's Secret: 'It's Not What You're Expecting'
- The Voice Exclusive Outtakes: Fart Jokes, Saved by the Bell Threats and…Xtina Basketball Boasts?
- It's Official: Dianna Agron Returns to Glee
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Once, New Girl, H50, Haven, Arrow, S.H.I.E.L.D, Mentalist, Reign & More
- American Idol Exclusive Season 13 Promo Video: There Will Be Guitars
- More From TVLine