Suffice to say, Rourke made the most interesting speech of the night. And by "interesting," I'm not even talking about his striped hair or the beard that makes his boxing-worn face look even weirder. No, all he had to do was open his mouth. He said the word "balls" twice, and then said something else that sounded like it was beeped.
Finally, he affectionately called his Wrestler director, Darren Aronofsky, a "tough son of a bitch," prompting Aronofsky to kiddingly flip Rourke the finger... on camera.
So Jay liveblogged the Emmy Awards and we've seen the pictures and debated the winners and losers. But what about those bleeps and cutaways during Ray Romano's standup routine and Sally Field's acceptance speech? Here's the scoop.
A lot of people think that Field was censored because of her liberal views and the war in Iraq. Not so, according to FOX. They bleeped her because of her use of the word "goddamn." It's always been a weird rule on television that you can say "God" and you can say "damn," but if you put the two words together, civilization as we know it will end. People always say that religion is dumped on in the media too much, but I think that in this case the media goes out of its way to please everyone.
If you've been paying attention to the credits during the last few years of South Park, you'll notice that Trey Parker has directed and written every episode. I've noticed this, too, but in my reviews I've always mentioned the two men together because the show still feels very much like a joint venture to me.
The question remains, though: what is Stone's role if he's not writing the episodes? This article helps explain. It seems that Stone, in addition to serving as an executive producer, doing voices and contributing ideas, also serves as the mouthpiece for the show while Parker works on the creative side of things. Parker would rather create than have to deal with censors and network executives, so Stone steps in to fight those battles.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Quest' Premiere Episode Photos
- The Final Rose: Josh and Andi's Fairytale Journey on 'The Bachelorette'
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 10 Finale Photos: The Final Rose
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Is Done with 'Dancing with the Stars'
- 'The Bachelorette': Did Nick Go Too Far After Being Rejected?
- More From BuddyTV
- Sons of Anarchy Video: The Naked Truth Behind Charlie Hunnam's Surprising Comic-Con No-Show
- TVLine Items: Blacklist Adds Foe for Red, a White Collar Return and More
- Scoop: Brooklyn Decker, Ethan Embry Join Netflix Comedy Grace and Frankie
- Arrow Casts Wildcat — Will He Train Laurel to Become the New Canary?
- The Closer's Kyra Sedgwick to Play Deputy Chief on Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- More From TVLine
- Kevin Smith Says Jennifer Garner is the Reason He's Not Friends with Ben Affleck Anymore
- 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Poster Sparks 9-11 Comparisons
- Find Out Cameron Diaz's Fall Back Career On The Set of 'The Mask' 20 Years Ago
- No More Blowouts! Jennifer Lopez Sports Her Natural Curls
- Martha Stewart on Blake Lively's New Lifestyle Blog: 'I Mean, It's Stupid'
- More From ET