Before The Simpsons begat Futurama, current executive producer of The Simspons Al Jean, along with Mike Reiss, created a short-lived animated series about a film critic who hated almost every film he ever saw.
Starring Jon Lovitz in some brilliant voice work, The Critic ran through two networks in two seasons. Like Futurama and Family Guy, it found some success with reruns on cable -- in this case, Comedy Central -- and a subsequent DVD release. But unlike those series, The Critic remains but a distant memory.
This show only last 11 episodes, in 1986-87, but they're episodes I remember fondly.
In 1886 Texas, Sheriff John Grail tracks down four outlaw cowboys. Before anything can happen, a weird force comes out of the sky and zaps them to 1986! When they get there, they form a detective agency and solve crimes (OK, not right away, but they find it's the only thing they can do), all the while trying to adjust to all the new inventions and culture of the modern world.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.12 Photos: Dean Becomes a Teenager
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.12: Hayley Faces Difficult Decision
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.12 Photos: Malcolm Merlyn Joins the Team
- 'The Flash' Episode 12 Photos: Barry Gets a Girlfriend
- 'The Bachelor' Week 5 Photos: A Hot Air Balloon Date
- More From BuddyTV
- Parenthood Finale: Show Boss on Flash-Forward Surprises, Deleted Scenes and That FNL Cameo
- Scandal Returns: The 7 Craziest Reveals About Olivia's Vanishing
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Going, Going Wrong
- Vampire Diaries Recap: The Merge
- American Idol Recap: Ooh Bay-bay Bay-bay! San Francisco Bay-bay!
- More From TVLine
- Disney Is Introducing Its First Latina Princess!
- Suge Knight Reportedly Involved in Fatal Hit-and-Run in Compton
- Heidi Klum Gets Reporter to Strip Down to His Underwear
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' Star on Big Return: 'Answers Are Coming'
- Kim Kardashian Responds to Backlash for Cropping North West Out of Selfie
- More From ET