When Letterman asked her what she'd been up to for three years, Theron joked, "I had massive plastic surgery and I needed to heal from it."
"From where I'm sitting, you got your money's worth," he responded, before trying to clarify for the audience that she was just kidding.
"No, I did," she insisted with a smile. "I think you should just be honest about it." Then, gesturing to her entire face she said, "I had everything replaced."
However, by the end of the premiere, only 16 will get to put on the 'Top Chef' coat and compete as official cheftestants. The 16 official contestants will then compete across the state of Texas in Austin, Dallas and San Antonio.
"I'm so excited for everyone at home to get a glimpse of all the great and talented chefs," 'Top Chef' host Padma Lakshmi said in a statement. "This season is bigger and better than ever! Yum!"
Renner explained on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' (weeknights, 12AM ET on ABC) that he was fearful a relative, unaccustomed to schmoozing with some of Hollywood's glitterati, "might drink too much and do something very terrible." The host elaborated helpfully: "Uncle Deon has a few too many, starts smacking Charlize Theron on the ass."
But everyone was composed -- though rumor has it Christina Aguilera spent the night in Renner's bedroom. True? "No, she was... hanging out. We were eating cookies and milk." Uh-huh.
Nikki Finke's Deadline.com column has a major spoiler about the opening of the show. If you don't want to know, avoid the last paragraph below.
There's an interesting angle on Barbra Streisand's appearance on the show. Speculation is that Streisand will be presenting Best Director, which insiders say is a lock for Kathryn Bigelow.
According to Variety, the Oscar-winning actress has teamed with producer-director David Fincher to develop a new drama series for HBO and Fox 21. Titled 'Mind Hunter,' the series will reportedly involve the investigation of various serial killers -- a familiar subject matter for Fincher, the director behind such big-screen hits as 'Se7en' (1995) and 'Zodiac' (2007).
Charlize Theron told MTV News she didn't understand why the show is so popular. "Why is it so big? It's about nothing!" she wondered. "The Hills is about nothing. I think the girls are beautiful and when they cry their mascara runs and that's real, but I don't get it!"
And she's not the only celebrity who's befuddled by The Hills phenomenon, either. Singer Juliana Hatfield blogged, "I hate the fact that I know Heidi Montag's name; that I know who she is; that she takes up any space at all in my consciousness."
Do not adjust your web browser. You are now entering the Retro Squad, where we are reviewing past episodes of classic TV shows.
(S03E05) To borrow a phrase from Saved!, "Mr. F" is the episode that confirmed fans' suspicions about Rita's "differently-abledness." George Michael celebrated a birthday, Maeby continued her double life as a studio executive, and Tobias got the wrong idea yet again.
That's what Starpulse is reporting, anyway, citing "a source" that claims studios are "falling over themselves" to create a biopic about the late actress, model and reality TV star. I don't pretend to understand how this crazy machine called Hollywood operates, but are studios really in a mad dash to make this supposed biopic? If one is being planned, I would assume it would be some kind of made-for-TV affair, and that Theron is far too popular right now to even consider such a thing.
Let's play casting director: who do you guys think should play Anna Nicole Smith? I keep thinking Dolly Parton for two obvious reasons, but Parton's just too classy in my mind. They could always create a CGI Anna, too. If no one takes this alleged role they might have to resort to that.
Did anyone watch the E! preshow? Was it offensive? I didn't see it, but this totally makes me want to watch the Oscars preshow in March. I'm hoping he takes Russell Crowe down a notch or two.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelor' Season 18: Juan Pablo's Biggest Mistakes
- Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Source in the Sludge'
- 'The Real Housewives of Orange County' Season 9 to Premiere in April
- 'Scandal' Season 3 Episode Photos
- 'The Real Housewives of New York City': 7 Things to Know about New Housewife Kristen Taekman
- More From BuddyTV
- CBS summer 2014 schedule: 'Big Brother 16' and 'Extant' premieres, 'Unforgettable' return and more
- TV ratings: 'Bachelor' finale hits a season high, 'Believe' has a solid start Monday
- Jaimie Alexander discusses bringing 'Thor' to 'Agents of SHIELD' in 'Yes Men'
- 'The Originals': Joseph Morgan surveys the fraught future of the Mikaelson family
- 'Salem': Iddo Goldberg would cast a spell for fast Amazon delivery (also world peace)
- More From Zap2it
- First Look: The CW's The Flash Is Ready to 'Bolt'
- CBS Summer Schedule Scoop: Big Brother Bows Early (Again), Extant Debut Shifts and More
- Ratings: Bones Returns Up, Bachelor Finale Down, The Voice Ties Low, Beast Dips
- Memories From the Set: Bradley Whitford Talks Stints on West Wing, ER, Frasier and More
- Banshee Season 2 Finale Exclusive: Watch the Time-Tripping Opening Sequence Now!
- More From TVLine