Arnold Schwarzenegger To Star In 'The Governator' Cartoon, Charlie Sheen Sued Again and More TV News
Arnold Schwarzenegger is following up his stint as governor of California by returning to his showbiz roots. According to Entertainment Weekly, the former Governator is being turned into a cartoon superhero called -- what else? -- The Governator.
Comic legend Stan Lee is co-developing the comic book and corresponding cartoon TV show. "The Governator is going to be a great superhero, but he'll also be Arnold Schwarzenegger," Lee told EW. "We're using all the personal elements of Arnold's life ... Only after he leaves the governor's office, Arnold decides to become a crime fighter and builds a secret high-tech crime-fighting center under his house in Brentwood."
In other TV news ...
• 'Charmed' creator Constance M. Burge is suing over profits she says she's owed from the hit show. Burge says she's been cheated out of money due to what The Hollywood Reporter calls "faulty accounting." [THR]
• Parker Posey will guest star on the new season of 'The Big C,' Showtime announced. The actress will play an older woman in a relationship with Cathy's son. She'll stick around for four episodes. [Showtime]
• Charlie Sheen has been sued again -- but this time it has nothing to do with 'Two and a Half Men.' The troubled star and his family allegedly put the kibosh on a reality series starring uncle Joe Estevez, who's now suing them for interfering with the project. [THR]
From the campy, spellbinding classics of the '60s to the dark, spooky series that haunted the '90s, audiences have been fixated with the paranormal -- whether it's a butt-kicking blonde in killer heels, a couple of hunky demon-hunting brothers or a trio of sibling witches -- some of the most enduring shows in the history of television deal with the things that go bump in the night or the extraordinary powers we wish we could harness.
To further feed this dark, dangerous obsession with the extraordinary or otherworldly, TV Squad has compiled a list of our top 20 favorite TV shows dealing with magic and the world of the supernatural.
After the jump, a list of the new shows.
The 'Who's the Boss,' 'Charmed' and 'Melrose Place' star has landed a new sitcom on ABC that can easily earn some steam since it's airing after 'Dancing with the Stars.'
'Romantically Challenged,' a sitcom about a recent divorcee looking for signs of life after marriage, will start airing on Monday, April 12 after 'DWTS.' The show is created by former 'Family Guy' writer Ricky Blitt and James Burrows has been tapped to direct it.
It sounds ridiculously simple and run-of-the-mill in terms of creativity, but sometimes the simplest ideas have the potential to catch fire. Does the show have the potential to be hot or will it go up in flames?
Is television taking up too much of your time? Do you find yourself spending night after night on the couch, spending hours of quality time clutching your remote in the hopes it will lead you down the primrose path of perfect entertainment? Have you wasted entire days of your life decreasing the firmness of the coils in your couch with your ever increasing ass planted firmly in front of the idiot box?
If so, maybe a more physical activity would perk up your droll and dull life. Why not put down that remote, throw that TV Guide in the trash compactor and pick up that video game controller for a few hours of TV-related interactive entertainment? Because exercise is for people with no creative thought for self-entertainment.
Here is just a sample of some TV show game spinoffs headed to an XBox, Playstation or coffee table near you.
I know we all have our favorite shows that we buy on DVD, but I can't understand how anyone - anyone - would want to buy Gene Simmons' Family Jewels on DVD. Do buyers of these sets actually pop them into the DVD player and watch them over and over?
The Burke's Law sets continue with those annoying "Season/Volume" packages, but the last season of the Odd Couple season 5 set contains all of the episodes and completes the series.
- Bones - Season 3
- Burke's Law - Season 1, Vol. 2
- Charmed - Complete Series
- Daniel Boone - Season 6
- Death Note - Box Set 1
- Doctor Who - Season 4 and The Infinite Quest
- The Dog Whisperer - Celebrity Edition
- Fairly Oddparents - Season 6, Vol. 1
- Gene Simmons' Family Jewels - Season 3
- Hannah Montana - Season 1
- Hawaii Five-O - Season 5
- McHale's Navy - Season 4
- Monty Python's Flying Circus - Collector's Edition Megaset
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 - 20th Anniversary (Regular set)
- The Odd Couple - Season 5
- SpongeBob SquarePants - Season 5, Vol. 2
- Star Trek - Season 3 Remastered
I have to admit that when I first saw this piece I couldn't even name 20 witches that we've had on television. Sure, I immediately thought of Samantha and Endora on Bewitched, Willow on Buffy, The Vampire Slayer, Tabitha on Passions, and the girls from Charmed, but after that I really had to scratch my head on how they were going to come up with 20. But then I saw that they extended the rules to include witches from cartoons and TV movies, so after that it's probably pretty easy. Though I think it's an easy way out to pick all the girls from Charmed.
Witchipoo from H.R. Pufnstuf is there, as is the girl from Wizards of Waverly Place. I've never seen this movie Worst Witch they speak of, but they pick more than one witch from it so maybe it's more well known than I realize. I love the fact they picked Amanda from Tucker's Witch.
Of course, the list isn't perfect. Nancy Grace isn't on it.
Prepare to be spellbound by our account of the sweetest, meanest, best and worst witches ever seen on TV.
From animated to old school, from toddlers to teenagers, we've used our magic potion to uncover these top 20 TV witches.
Watch out ... something witchy this way comes.
This will be third time someone has made a go of adapting the film for television. I can't help but think think of this as a more serious Charmed. Will the male antagonist, played by Jack Nicholson in the film, remain throughout the series, or will he just be an early problem dealt with by the three witchy leads? Considering Friedman's resume also includes the horridly under-appreciated Jack and Bobby and the brilliant Once and Again, there are a lot of ways she could go with this.
(S04E01) "Hello, just plain Brenda." - Bill Croelick
Isn't it nice to have Brenda back on our televisions? It's like catching up with an old friend. Or, old friends, as the case may be. And what a way to come back. Multiple homicides, an entire park for a crime scene, the return of an old foe, and more shenanigans on the home front. Brenda's plate is very full as we jump into season four, and that's a good thing.
For fans of The Closer, the wait is almost over. Season four finally kicks off next week, knocking off the third of the five shows that I have anxiously been waiting for. Burn Notice and Stargate Atlantis premiered this week. The Closer and Psych go live next week. And Eureka returns at the end of the month. It's going to be a great summer for television.
The fine folks over at TNT were nice enough to send along a press kit, so I've just finished watching the premiere and reading up on a few of the things they have planned for the new season. Last year we spent a lot of time on family as Brenda (Kyra Sedgwick) and Fritz (Jon Tenney) moved forward with their engagement. That, of course, involved finally revealing the engagement to Brenda's parents (Frances Sternhagen, Barry Corbin). And we followed along as the two of them began to search for a new house. Season four picks up from there. After the jump, a look at the premiere and a few things coming this season. Possibly a couple very minor spoilers, but no big plot points.
But what about Brenda?
Well, in his new perch at Entertainment Weekly, Michael Ausiello reports that his sources -- producers Gabe Sachs and Jeff Judah -- have confirmed that Miss Shannen Doherty is in formal talks to join 90210 in her original role, Brenda Walsh.
Two more next week! Good luck!
To enter, simply leave a comment below before 5:00PM Eastern, Friday, October 12, simply telling us your favorite episode from the series (this being the final season DVD and all). As always, we'll randomly choose five winners amongst the eligible entries. Some other details:
- To enter, leave a confirmed comment below stating your favorite episode of Charmed.
- The comment must be left before October 12, 2007 at 5:00PM Eastern Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Five winners will be selected in a random drawing.
- Five winners will receive a copy of Charmed Season 8 DVDs (valued at $59.99).
I watched her play a seer on Charmed, an opinionated young woman getting involved with an older man on Miss Match, a trophy wife and schemer on Veronica Mars, and, this week, play a member of the national chapter of Zeta Beta on Greek.
Charisma's roles have been entertaining but will Charisma Carpenter, the woman, be as fun to watch? We may find out soon as the word on the street is that she will be an apprentice on the celebrity version of NBC's The Apprentice.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 11.2 Photos: All About Dr. Maggie Pierce
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur -- Blood vs. Water' Premiere Photos
- 'The Flash' Official Cast Photos
- 'The Mysteries of Laura' Interview: Executive Producer Jeff Rake Previews New Murder Mystery Dramedy
- 'Arrow' Season 3 Premiere Photos: 'The Calm'
- More From BuddyTV
- Idol Judges on Season 14: J.Lo Wants Less Cruelty, Adam Lambert Seeks Artistry, Harry Flinches at 'Geek' Label
- Pilot Scoop: Zach Gilford to Crush on Jennifer Carpenter in USA's Stanistan
- TVLine Items: Gloria Steinem Meets Good Wife, AHS Adds Chloe King & More
- Vampire Diaries Season 6: Dramatic New Poster Pairs Elena With Stefan
- Arrow Season 3 Poster Highlights the Fortified Team Arrow
- More From TVLine
- Trust Us, You Need to Watch This Cheesecake Factory Parody of Iggy Azalea's 'Fancy'
- Taylor Swift Writes a (Really, Really Passionate) Ode to Fall
- Iggy Azalea Reportedly Sues Ex-Boyfriend, Goes Under Disguise
- Your Chance to Cruise with the Women of the Grammys
- Welcome to Your New Favorite Instagram Account: DILFs of Disneyland
- More From ET