Rumors of the show's cancellation spread like wildfire after star Karine Vanasse took to Twitter and said she received "the call." But the show is safe for the time being, according to a statement from ABC affirming the network's commitment to air all 14 episodes of Season 1 and confirming that it is still being considered for renewal.
"It's only going to get better," Christina Ricci told AOL TV during a visit to the show's New York set in early November. "It's just our first [season]. We're still trying things out and figuring out what works and what doesn't. I feel like we're just going to get better and better."
In 'Unscheduled Departures,' the crew encounters serious turbulence -- both inside and outside the plane -- on the way to Caracas, Venezuela. A passenger suffers a heart attack and it turns out there's no doctor on board the flight. Ted (Michael Mosley) and Colette (Karine Vanasse) venture out on their own to find help.
The clip shows Maggie (Christina Ricci) getting a little flirty with an entrepreneur named Miguel, played by Mexican actor Aaron Diaz. Miguel is a frequent flyer who is on a first name basis with the Pan Am stewardesses.
But 1963 in Berlin means something else as well, and that's what showed us how determined Maggie can be when she sees something she wants. We learned that she volunteered the most hours of anyone during President Kennedy's run for office, but she missed out on an opportunity to meet him. At least, until Kennedy's infamous speech in Berlin in the summer of 1963.
Below, watch the actress discuss what she loves about playing Maggie, a rebellious Pan Am stewardess, and why she decided to head to TV full-time for the project.
'Pan Am' premieres Sept. 25 at 10PM ET on ABC.
Though on the surface, the jetsetting series seems to have a lot in common with AMC's 'Mad Men,' the producers insist that the similarities stop at the time period. "TV is just execution," Schlamme pointed out. "It has nothing to do with 'Mad Men,' we just hope our show is executed in a good way. They are both set in the sixties because it's a great time period -- I hope there will be shows set in the seventies, in the 1880s, wherever we can tell good stories."
Check out more highlights from the Television Critics Association panel after the jump.
W Magazine gathered a few of this fall's film-turned TV actors -- including Anjelica Huston ('Smash'), Christina Ricci ('Pan Am'), Kerry Washington ('Scandal'), 'Kat Dennings ('2 Broke Girls') and Patrick Wilson ('A Gifted Man') -- to discuss their new roles.
The interviews are mixed with a very retro fashion shoot and edited together for a bizarrely fascinating 4 minute video.
Check out the video after the jump.
Taking an airplane never looked so good.
'Pan Am,' slated to start in the fall, follows a group of young flight attendants who sign on to the "new" luxury airline in the hopes of making a change in their lives. The passengers and crew face a voyage whose landscape is shaped by romance, a volatile 1960s society and yes, even undercover espionage.
Starring Margot Robbie ('Neighbours'), Kelli Garner ('My Generation'), Karine Vanasse ('Polytechnique') and movie star Christina Ricci as the flight attendants, there is no shortage of sexiness in the sky. But that sexiness is not easily found, according to Ricci.
The Tim Allen series, now called 'Last Man Standing' comes from '30 Rock' writer Jack Burditt. The official tagline: "Even though the world around him has declared the traditional male an 'endangered species,' Tim Fitzgerald is fighting for his manhood in a world that is being increasingly dominated by women."
'Apt. 23' (formerly 'Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23') tells the story of a young woman who moves to the big city and ends up with a hard-partying roommate. Dreama Walker and Krysten Ritter star.
Minka Kelly, Rachael Taylor and Annie Ilonzeh star in the 'Charlie's Angels' reboot.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, 'Popular' alumna Bibb will play Amanda, a divorced mom of two. She moves back to her childhood neighborhood and finds herself at the center of gossip.
'Ghostbusters' veteran Potts will play Bibb's overbearing mother. Deadline reports she fielded three pilot offers and has been approached to guest star on The CW's 'Hart of Dixie.'
In other casting news ...
• Jamie King has joined the cast of The CW's 'Hart of Dixie.' King will play a debutante-type woman opposite Rachel Bilson. [Deadline]
• Stephen Tobolowsky will star opposite Minnie Driver in 'Hail Mary.' Tobolowsky will play the role of Cox in drama about a mom and hustler private investigator duo. [Hollywood Reporter]
• Christina Ricci has signed on the dotted line for 'Pan Am.' Ricci will play Maggie, a flight attendant in the sky and an earthy bohemian on the ground. [Deadline]
According to Deadline Hollywood, the 'Dharma and Greg' star will play Julia, a single mom of two. Julia's mother did the majority of raising the kids, but when grandma decides she wants her life back, Julia has to raise her kids alone.
Sharon Horgan, a British actress and writer, created the series and will executive produce the pilot.
In other casting news ...
• Christina Ricci is in talks to join 'Pan Am.' The 1960s-set soap follows pilots and flight attendants at the once-prominent airline. Ricci recently popped up on 'Saving Grace' and had a guest arc on 'Grey's Anatomy.' [Hollywood Reporter]
• 'V' star Morena Baccarin is heading to 'The Mentalist.' Baccarin will play Erica Flynn, a matchmaker. The character is "attractive and sexy woman who seems as warm-hearted, sincere, and intelligent as she is lovely." [Entertainment Weekly]
• 'Party Down' star Ryan Hansen has joined the cast of 'Lovelines.' Hansen, who has another romantic comedy at NBC called 'Friends With Benefits' that has yet to air, will play Tim, a professor who isn't quite honest with his girlfriend. The pilot is in second position behind 'Friends With Benefits.' [Deadline Hollywood]
I enjoyed Speed Racer when I was a kid. I haven't seen it in 25 years or so and I'd probably be horrified now by what my youthful tastes were back then, but I remember liking the race scenes and what the car could do. I remember wanting my first car to be one that would have buzzsaws come out of the front and a big lever that would come down underneath the car that would make it jump over other cars. That last feature doesn't seem like it would work to me, now that I think about it as an adult.
Anyway, the live-action version with Emile Hirsch, Christina Ricci, John Goodman, and Matthew Fox opens this Friday. And the early buzz is that it's not going to do as well as they were hoping it would.
Much like the new Underdog movie, the Wachowski brothers' bigscreen adaptation of the popular Speed Racer cartoon will not be animated, but considering the Wachowskis were behind the Matrix trilogy, one assumes the new film will be both visually stunning and not especially "heavy" storywise. Of course, it's not as if the original cartoon was all that deep, either, so in many ways this is a good match. If they do it right, it could be the perfect no-brainer, popcorn matinee.
Personally, I think ABC is holding a contest to see who is tinier, Ellen Pompeo or Christina Ricci? I'm going to have to go with Ellen Pompeo on this one, since Christina Ricci still looks like a healthy person.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' winner talks Season 4 victory
- Cher proves it's a 'Woman's World' with performance on 'The Voice' finale
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Top 20: Meet the contemporary dancers
- 'The Voice' Season 4 winner: Danielle Bradbery, Michelle Chamuel or The Swon Brothers - who won?
- 'America's Got Talent': American Military Spouses Choir ends night on high note
- More From Zap2it
- What to Watch Tonight: Franklin & Bash Is Back, Shatner Live in Cleveland, Futurama and More
- The Voice Season 4 Finale Recap: They're All Stars Tonight [Updated]
- The Voice: Season 4′s 25 Best Performances!
- It's Official: Anger Management's Selma Blair Abruptly Exits in Midst of Show's 90-Episode Run
- Liv Tyler Cast in HBO Drama Pilot The Leftovers
- More From TVLine