I didn't see a single moment of Chevy Chase's short-lived talk show when it aired, probably because my attention was diverted to the shake ups at more established late night fare such as The Tonight Show and Late Night. Chase's show came along the same time Conan O'Brien was slipping into Letterman's slot on NBC, and as we all know, The Chevy Chase Show never quite gained an audience. I think after you watch a clip (after the jump) of Chase interviewing actress Goldie Hawn, you'll begin to understand why. This four minutes of "interview," awkward dancing, and a gag involving a birthday cake that falls flat in more ways than one culminate into one glaring fact: it takes a special kind of person to helm a late night talk show, and Chevy Chase wasn't it. A shame really, because in the right circumstances the man can be quite funny. Watch if you dare.
Thanks to Josh for hepping us to the clip.
So, the fact that no one's sued them until now is equally strange. Robert Tur, a freelance news reporter, is the first to do it, suing the site for putting up his report on the 1992 L.A. riots without his permission. Now, the folks at YouTube took the clip down after he requested it, but Tur decided to sue anyway. This ought to be an interesting case; even though the site cooperated with his request, was it still up long enough to infringe upon his copyright? The site says the case is "without merit", but I'm not so sure about that. What do you folks think?
(Embedded player after the jump)
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 11: Top 14 Performance Rankings
- August 2014: Don't Miss These 15 TV Shows and Events
- 'Real Housewives' Roundup: NeNe's New Gig, Kristen's Marriage and All-New 'Wives
- 'Teen Wolf' Interview: Dylan O'Brien and Shelley Hennig Tease a Rocky Future for Stiles and Malia
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Team America's 4th Mission
- More From BuddyTV
- Sharknado 2 Takes Much Bigger Chomp Out of Ratings, Up 180% Vs. Original
- Emmys Poll 2014: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actress in a Drama?
- TVLine Items: SNL Alum Visits B99, Scandal, CSI Castings and More
- Rectify Sneak Peek: See What Inspires Amantha to Scream 'Eff That!'
- Girls Courts Spike Jonze for Guest-Starring Role in Season 4
- More From TVLine
- Brian Williams Reports on Daughter Allison Williams' 'Peter Pan' Casting News
- Disney's 'Into the Woods' Trailer Debuts!
- Vin Diesel Can Say 'I Am Groot!' In Multiple Languages
- Lorde Is Getting Back On Board With 'Hunger Games'
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Wrote Love Letters to Each Other
- More From ET