December 22, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted May 1st 2010 6:28PM
A few years back, a bold co-production initiative was launched with Canada. So far, it's produced underwhelming ratings performers like 'Mental' and 'Defying Gravity.' Meanwhile, thanks to BBC America, US fans are falling in love with new UK shows, only to find ourselves frustrated when the powers-that-Beeb pull the plug. It's a lot like foreign fans of US material must feel when we cancel shows on them: powerless.
But it doesn't have to be that way. Most recently, BBC America finished running the first and second series of the BBC post-apocalyptic drama 'Survivors,' back-to-back. Before it finished, the BBC announced that they weren't going to commission any more episodes, due to slipping ratings in the UK. 'Survivors' wasn't failing miserably, but BBC programming doesn't get advertising revenue like shows in the US, so expectations are different.
I don't know if US ratings were considered for the show, but I know it was one of the more popular series on BBC America and that it has a pretty loyal and faithful following on both sides of the pond. Could US support have saved it?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bachelor' Star Chris Soules and Other Stars from the Franchise to Grace Rose Parade
- 'Kardashians' Star Khloe Kardashian Denies She Kicked Out Her Brother Rob Out of Her House
- 'The Real Housewives of Atlanta' Recap: Does Phaedra Fall for Apollo's Stunt?
- 'Glee' Episodes 6.3 and 6.4 Photos: A Love Triangle for Kurt
- 'Glee' Season 6 Premiere Photos: Everyone Comes Back to McKinley
- More From BuddyTV
- Sleepy Hollow Photos: Ichabod's Date, Michelle Trachtenberg's Arrival & More
- Ratings: The Sound of Music Dips, Sunday Night Football Drops
- Pretty Little Liars Sneak Peek: Is This Emily and Paige's Last Goodbye?
- The Affair Season Finale Recap: They Can't Handle the Truth
- Homeland Finale Recap: Mother Lode
- More From TVLine
- Ana Gasteyer On Her 'Girls' Role & (Accidentally) Vomiting On a Fan
- An Ode to Zac Efron's New Mustache
- 6 Celebs Reveal How They *SPOILER ALERT* Found Out Santa Was Not Real
- Ranking the Award-Winning Adult Actors in 2014 YA Adaptations
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Star in Steamy New Balmain Campaign
- More From ET