Are you making a deal with the brilliant team behind the top 20 hit Lost? And does the fact that we have now switched that qualifier from top 5, to top 10, to top 20 cause any concern? Or are you making a deal with the team that so bungled Alias that by the end of the run it was almost an act of charity for ABC to even air the show? Seriously. May 17th, 2006, Alias is the #5 show in its time slot behind Deal Or No Deal (NBC), Bones (Fox), The Amazing Race (CBS), AND Next Top Model (UPN), only managing to beat out the movie Final Destination 2 (WB).
Schindel pitched a similar show, called Law Dogs, to NBC in 2003 but it didn't even get a pilot order. Schindel says he never gave up, that this is "a show that needed to be done."
According to Michael Aussiello over at TV Guide, Balfour has signed on to a role as a 'series regular', which means we'll see him for more than one episode. Maybe he'll replace poor, sweet Edgar Stiles (Louis Lombardi)?
I have one word for this piece of news: YUM.
I came home this weekend to see my folks for Memorial Day (which coincidentally means that I've eaten an unhealthy amount of food and it's only Sunday afternoon) and we got into a pretty interesting conversation about TV. For starters, neither of them knew what "the upfronts" were and I suppose it makes sense. If I didn't follow television as much as I do, I probably wouldn't know what the upfronts were either. Moreover, I would most likely have had the same question my mother had: "Why do they call it the upfronts?" I'm not 100% sure, but I think it has something to do with the fact that ad-space is being presented to advertisers "up front" and if they sit on it, they may not be able to get the spots they want at a later date.
Also, ABC had reportedly decided not to renew Invasion, Freddie and Hope & Faith. Also not major surprises-- and Invasion might end up on The CW. What will Kelly Ripa do with all her extra time?
Stick around... Bob will be covering NBC's Upfronts later today.
This week we have another instance of Nick Potter (Jordan Bridges) wrestling with his demons. He's trying to save a reformed gang member from jail and he goes over ADA Jessica Rossi's (Milena Govich) head to Bureau Chief Alexandra Cabot (March), who recommends a lesser sentence. I thought we got over Nick's psychological problems with his mugging last week, but this episode may be out of order. On a side note, we get to see very little of Rossi this week. Her only storyline is to establish that she's not a high-class gal because she doesn't know what 'Cocktail Attire' means or what Foie Gras is.
- At 8, ABC has a repeat America's Funniest Home Videos, followed by two new eps of 20/20.
- CBS has the magic special Keith Barry: Extraordinary at 8, followed by new eps of Close To Home and Numb3rs.
- Over on NBC, a new Deal Or No Deal, followed by new eps of Las Vegas and Conviction.
- FOX has Legally Blonde 2.
- At 8:30, FX has the Busch Series Diamond Hill Plywood 200 NASCAR race.
- At 9, Cartoon Network has a new My Gym Partner Is A Monkey, followed by new eps of The Life & Times of Juniper Lee, and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends.
- At 10, Comedy Central has a new Standup Nation With Greg Giraldo, featuring Nick Swardson, Lewis Black, Kyle Cease, and Keith Robinson.
- Also at 10: Turner Classic Movies has the original Bad News Bears.
- HBO has a new Real Time With Bill Maher, with guests Richard Clarke, Cornel West, John Legend, and Madeleine Albright.
Let me just say outright, what I don't like about this show is the way that Alexandra Cabot has become such a bitch. While on SVU, she was unorthodox, but passionate. Now her priorities are her career and she seems to have forgotten what it was like to live and breathe for a victim.
- ABC has a new ep of Extreme Makeover at 8, followed by new eps of Primetime (with Tom Cruise) and 20/20.
- CBS has repeats of Ghost Whisperer, Close To Home, and Numb3rs.
- Over on NBC, a repeat Deal Or No Deal at 8 (see? they're running out of eps already), a repeat Las Vegas, then a new Conviction.
- FOX has a new, hour long Bernie Mac, followed by a new Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy.
- TBS has The Lord of the Rings at 8.
- Nick has a new ep of Avatar: The Last Airbender, also at 8.
- IFC has John Malkovich in Ripley's Game at 8.
- Larry King talks to Paula Abdul on CNN at 9.
- Discovery has a new Science of Survival at 9.
- Also at 9: HGTV has a new Double Take, followed by a new Freestyle.
- At 10, Fox Movie Channel has All That Jazz.
- At 10:15, AMC has Tremors 3: Back To Perfection.
- IFC has a repeat Dinner For Five at 10:30, with Ted Danson, Mary Steenburgen, Ernie Hudson and Laura Dern joining host Jon Favreau.
So, NBC put Conviction on a Tuesday night where Law & Order: SVU usually airs. This is obviously a ploy to get the SVU crowd interested in Dick Wolf's new ADA lovefest (seriously, the guy is in love with prosecuting attorneys). The problem is, it's very different than the procedural drama that we know as Law & Order. Could you imagine tuning in last night for the first time and wondering who on earth all these people are? Sheesh.
Is it me or was everyone talking really fast during this episode? That opening sequence was all smooth and slow and then we just dove right the heck into fast-talking office-speak and, I tell you what, I spent the rest of the episode playing catch-up.
What other stars do they keep giving shows to, year after year, even when the previous show has crashed in flames? (And don't say "Robert Urich" because he actually had some hits).
Well, Billy is a jerk. In his personal life and his work life. He sleeps with a girl who turns out to be a clerk and then totally shrugs her off when he sees her in the courthouse. But, even worse than that was his attempt to get a woman to drop her 1974 rape case because it wasn't a slam dunk for him. He tells the rape victim, "I don't want to put you through any unnecessary pain." Grrrr.
The shows hitting VOD are:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Season 2 Cast Photos
- 'Under the Dome': 17 Shocking Moments from 'Revelation'
- 'Mistresses' Poll: Should Karen Have Chosen Jacob Over Anna?
- [Video] 'Bachelor in Paradise' Preview: Lots of Tears, Hookups and Regrets
- 'Real Housewives' Roundup: A Possible Divorce, Another Arrest and a Broken Friendship
- More From BuddyTV
- Downton Abbey EP Talks 'High-Stakes' Season 5, Mary's Long Road to the Altar
- Graceland Sneak Peek: With Paige Missing, Is Mike Too Hot to Handle?
- Sneak Peek: Almost Royal Finale Serves Up a (Macabre?) Music Video
- Covert Affairs Casts Lynn Collins as 'Formidable' Russian Agent
- TVLine Items: Ken Jeong Plays Himself on MTV, James Garner Tribute and More
- More From TVLine
- How Well Do the 5 Seconds of Summer Boys Know Each Other? ET Puts Them to the Test
- Cops Called on Justin Bieber Six Times In Two Days
- Bradley Cooper Explains 40 Pound Weight Gain
- 14-Year-Old Michelle Williams is Adorable on the Set of 'Lassie'
- Madonna's Daughter Lourdes Leon Graduates High School, Blogs About Prom
- More From ET