Truth be told, the majority of broadcast shows are floating precariously atop the cancellation bubble. A world without 'Fringe'? An NBC Thursday night without 'Community'? Folks, it could happen.
Take NBC: the struggling network is aggressively developing new shows, desperate for a hit. Can old standbys like 'Parks and Recreation' survive when big dogs Sarah Silverman and Dane Cook are all developing new shows at the Peacock network?
A few notches away on the dial, CBS's 'CSI' franchise is starting to fizzle and the network has its eye on new comedies. With three different 'CSI' shows, it's safe to say one will probably go.
Who will survive this season? Only time will tell, but any of these shows could be goners by May.
C.K. goes to ask for this favor, so he can maybe make his daughter happy for her birthday, and Cook confronts the controversy directly.
"Everything I read about me was about how I stole jokes from you, which I didn't," Cook said.
"I kind of think you did," C.K. responded. When Cook asked why he would risk his reputation to do that, C.K. said, "Because they were funny jokes."
The team at 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' (Sun., 8PM ET on ABC) dedicated an episode to helping one of the survivors of that attack: Staff Sgt. Patrick Ziegler.
But it wasn't just Ty Pennington and the 'Extreme Makeover' crew that headed to Fort Hood. They brought along comedian Dane Cook to bring some laughs to the service personnel.
"My dad was a military guy," Cook said. "And just instilled in me at a very early age that giving back to your country was paramount to anything else."
The 'Country Strong' actress confirmed the news to 'Access Hollywood.' Paltrow first appeared on the hit Fox series in November as substitute teacher Holly Holiday. She sang a few numbers with the cast, including Cee Lo Green's 'Forget You.'
'Glee' will be back in February with new episodes following the Super Bowl. CBS News anchor Katie Couric will guest star.
No word on when Paltrow's character will return, though May sweeps is a good guess.
In other casting news ...
• Dane Cook will appear on 'Hawaii Five-0.' The comedian has been tapped to play Danno's (Scott Caan) brother. He'll appear in February. [Entertainment Weekly]
• Anthony Michael Hall is heading to ABC's 'No Ordinary Family.' The '80s film star will appear in February as a "force to be reckoned with." [TV Guide]
• 'ER' veteran Parminder Nagra has joined the cast of Fox's 'Alcatraz.' Nagra will play Lucy, a lab technician. The J.J. Abrams project has also added Robert Forster as Ray Archer, a retired detective who now owns a cop hangout bar. [Deadline Hollywood]
A woman once asked if he'd sign her breast. He happily complied. That same night, a guy approached him and inquired, "'Hey, will you sign this?' and he pulled his balls out," said Cook.
Chelsea Handler insisted on clarity. "Well, you said 'sign this.' But did he mean 'sign these'?" Cook replied, "No, he just had one in his hand ... I think one was nervous and went up inside. But the other one was very comfortable and happy to meet me," Cook joked.
While talking to Jay Leno, the comic revealed the depths of his love for the singer -- the utter, utter depths. "I'm a huge fan," Dane gushed. He then called Taylor "America's Sweetheart." How flattering! Let's stop right there, shall we? But it was not to be. "Here we go!" Cook added, suddenly pulling his sweater off. Uh-oh.
Dane tossed the sweater away, revealing a perfectly hairless chest -- emblazoned with a huge tattoo of the singer's face, with "TAYLOR" written underneath in an "airbrushed T-shirt-style" script. Next, Cook picked up an acoustic guitar -- and started to play. "Taylor Swift ... " he sang, then paused for a long time. Wait. What rhymes with "Swift?"
To prove the degree of his fandom, the actor/comedian pulled out a Bolton-esque wig. "I bought this at an auction. I paid $17,000 for this," he joked. "This is his '80s hair, and I have it. I own it now." Kimmel said, "It looks great on ya."
Cook then grabbed a mic. The lights dimmed, the ceiling disco ball began to spin, and he launched into 'How Am I Supposed to Live Without You.' Bolton would be proud.
The first special is at 3 PM - Aisha Tyler is Lit: Live at the Fillmore and end, officially, with Drew Hastings: Irked and Miffed at 3 AM Monday morning. Sunday at 10PM is the network premiere of Dave Attell: Captain Miserable, which originally aired on HBO on December 8, 2007.
That's the environment that Cook is working in now, the water he had to tread thinking about his new special, last night's ISolated INcident. And there were already conflicting ideas surrounding the hype for the show. There were the constant commercials hyping how unbelievable the show is, setting an unfair standard from the very beginning. We were told this would be unlike anything we have seen from Cook, an innovative, groundbreaking special.
(S01E16) "Trust, honesty, integrity...I don't like those words, not one little bit. - Jerry
I found it funny that Sam and Andi were comparing scary demons when they got attacked, because for my money, very few things are scarier than an chainsaw wielding dude in a mask. It's like Leatherface, Michael Myers and Casey Jones all rolled up together.
I really wish we could see more of Gladys. I find her to be really funny. I think it would be great if she had one small scene in every episode ala Carlton Your Doorman. Just the idea that the DMV is where demons do the work of the devil still makes me laugh.
Watching the two hour -- that's right two hour -- finale of Last Comic Standing, I couldn't help but be reminded of my teaching days. Tonight's finale was like an essay written using Comic Sans 16 point font...
- Beyond Belief - Season 1
- Dane Cook - The Lost Pilots
- Danger Mouse - Complete Series
- Dark Shadows - The Beginning
- Flight 29 Down - Vol. 2
- Friday Night Lights - Season 1
- Heroes - Season 1
- I Shouldn't Be Alive - Season 1
- Masters of Horror - Season 1 Limited Edition Set
- Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide - Field Trip Edition
- The Odd Couple - Season 2
- The Outer Limits - Season 1, Vol. 2 (original series)
- Samuari Jack - Season 4
- Charlie Rose: Al Gore
- The Late Show With David Letterman: Kevin Spacey and Alexis Bledel
- Jay Leno: Dennis Miller and Dwight Yoakam
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: David Spade, John Ratzenberger, and Kaiser Chiefs (repeat)
- Tavis Smiley: Jonathan Demme, Chick Corea, and Bela Fleck
- Late Night With Conan O'Brien: Dane Cook and Apolo Ohno
- The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson: Bob Saget, Jade, and Guy Torry
- Last Call With Carson Daly: Silversun Pickups and Hi-Fidelity
Earlier this month, unfunny "comedian" Dane Cook set the Laugh Factory record for endurance at three hours, 50 minutes. The previous record was held by Richard Pryor, who was on stage for two hours, 41 minutes back in 1980. Does anyone else think Chappelle was trying to stick it to Cook for busting Pryor's record? I sure as hell hope so.
Veteran comic/director/writer David Steinberg has a lot of stuff going on.
The second season of his TV Land talk show, Sit Down Comedy, began a couple of weeks ago with an interview with Jerry Seinfeld. This Wednesday, Steinberg sits down with Daily Show host Jon Stewart. The show airs at 10pm. The following weeks, Steinberg will interview Garry Shandling and then Ray Romano.
But that's not all: Steinberg also has a book coming out in June, The Book of David. And he's a busy guy in his life as a director too. He's directing his seventh season at Curb Your Enthusiasm, episodes of Campus Ladies, and a pilot for Dane Cook.
There might be a lot of people who aren't familiar with Steinberg since a lot of his work has been behind the camera for a while, but he has quite a resume.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Project Runway' Season 14: Ranking the Looks of 'Gunn and Heid'
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Star Ashley Iaconetti: 'I Knew Jared Just Wasn't That Into Me'
- 'Big Brother 17' Week 10: Vanessa's 3rd HoH Photos
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Won HoH After the Second Double Eviction?
- 'Under the Dome' Recap: Survival of the Fittest
- More From BuddyTV
- Days of Our Lives Photo: Peter Reckell Returns as Bo for NBC Soap's 50th
- Video: Caitlyn Jenner Wonders 'Should I Have Done It Earlier?' on Ellen Premiere
- Game of Thrones Adds Freddie Stroma to Season 6 as [Spoiler]'s Sibling
- Scott Porter Joins Robert Kirkman's Exorcism Drama Outcast
- Hand of God: Is Amazon's Newest Drama Heaven or Hell?
- More From TVLine
- Blake Lively Reveals the Trainer That Helped Her With Her Cellulite
- Janet Jackson Unveils 'Unbreakable' Title Track: Listen
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Seen Smiling After Family Counseling
- Tom Brady's Ex Bridget Moynahan Congratulates Him on Deflategate Win
- Hollywood's Hottest Bikini Bods
- More From ET