But 'Idol' has always had a knack for uncovering fresh-faced talent, as evidenced by these 10 young superstars who've proven that you're never too young to start wailing on a little 'Dreamgirls.' (We're looking at you, David Archuleta!)
Here are our picks for 'American Idol''s 10 freshest faces and a look back at their places in 'Idol' history.
One of the biggest TV stars of the last two decades, David Duchovny, (at right) once scored an Emmy nomination playing "David Duchovny." The 'X Files' and 'Californication' star made a riotous appearance on 'The Larry Sanders Show,' playing a side of "himself" that was strangely attracted to Larry.
Let's take a look at more TV Davids, Daves and, yes, even Davys.
After his 2008 debut record went platinum, Archuleta was unable to follow-up the sucess with his latest album, "The Other Side of Down." The album, which was released on October 5th has sold around 63,000 units. The good news (I guess) is that Archie is still signed to 19 Entertainment, for now.
The host told them that they'd get to meet the singer. But he lied. However, Archuleta did give them a gift, and a map through which to find it.
Cut to a barren land, a dirt road, electricity pylons and a box. Otherwise known as the last scene in 'Seven.' The girls scream "What's in the box?!" -- in the way that Brad Pitt pleaded with Morgan Freeman.
So... what's in the box?! Check out the video.
Today, season 7 runner-up David Archuleta paid a special, jam-packed visit to the SomethingPitchy studio to promote his new memoir, 'Chords of Strength.'
Among the many topics discussed in this 43-minute-plus interview: The inspiration behind writing a book, details on his upcoming CD, his thoughts on 'American Idol' season 9 and a look back at some of his most memorable tweets.
When will his next CD hit shelves? And will he go on tour after it's released? Find out by watching our exclusive video interview below, then be sure to post your reactions in the comments section below.
When the ninth season of 'American Idol' kicked off this January, it was clear that the magic that's made 'AI' one of the highest-rated shows in TV history remained untarnished. But, of course, nearly a decade into the show's run, a few familiarities were inevitable. Some of 'AI''s nearly 28 million viewers may have had a sense of déjà vu after being introduced to season 9's new hopefuls, noting that they seemed eerily similar to past season's contestants ... and we don't mean "Bikini Boy" vs. Bikini Girl.
We've handicapped the remaining contestants' and recent castoffs' chances for pop success based on the qualities that remind us of some of our favorite past winners and wannabes.
Two of the seven remaining contestants on American Idol went home this week. And this time, they actually did go home. It seems like the producers have been trying to psych us out all season, throwing as many surprises as they can to keep the show fresh. Not so tonight. Two went home, and it was no surprise to me who those two were.
But first, we got to see some behind-the-scenes stuff as the Idols prepared for their group number. When Ryan said they called on a huge name in the choreography world for this week's group number, I was pleasantly shocked to see that it was Paula.
It was nice to see her dance again. Makes me want to go back and watch some of her vintage music videos. Thinking about it also took my mind off the goofy disco outfits the Idols were wearing. Anoop had quite the George Michael look going.
We open up with a really weird slow-motion retrospective of notable past auditions to "It's a Wonderful World." I always forget how skinny and young Clay was. Seacrest has changed a lot too-- and informs us that "THIS is American Idol" from what looks to be a perch on the edge of the Grand Canyon.
Oh my God. They're showing that amazing video of those little girls completely losing it over David Archuleta not winning last season. I am laughing so hard right now. This is officially the best episode of American Idol ever.
They may all own the title of 'American Idol,' but winning is one thing -- turning in one of the show's most memorable performances is something else entirely.
We scoured through the past seven seasons to come up with the 16 best. Then YOU, the fans, voted for the No. 1 greatest 'Idol' performance of all time. See who topped the list.
2. Two different TV shows in the past week, one a news program that had an analysis of the election and one a design show, used the phrase "do the math." I don't want to do the math. That's why I got into writing.
- What Would Don Draper Do?
- Excellent! Robert Forster to play the Petrelli dad on Heroes.
- Mark Burnett has countersued the guy that was suing him.
- Check out the first single from David Archuleta's debut album.
- In advance of tonight's season finale of Robin Hood, Richard Armitage answers your questions.
- Help save Mister Rogers!
- Will Lance Bass get a male dancing partner on Dancing with the Stars?
- Which former ER star is coming back to the show in October?
That became painfully clear for Archuleta and his rabid fans in Salt Lake City this week when the runner-up was forced to cancel a 'Thank You' concert. It was to be this Friday night and the proceeds were to go to charity. But American Idol nixed the whole thing because of Archuleta's "contractual obligations" to the show. It was an Idol-sanctioned event. Plus, Archuleta is scheduled to begin touring with his co-contestants on Saturday.
After Sanjaya-gate last year, the biggest controversy to come out this year was that finalist David Hernandez used to be a stripper and David Archuleta's dad might be a Mr. Meany-Pants. And we got to be pissed that Kristy Lee Cook outlasted the likes of Michael Johns. Not until we got to the finale of Davids did things get really intense.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelor' Book Club: Reality Stars Turned Authors
- 'Project Runway' Season 14: Ranking the Looks of 'Fashion Flip'
- Which 'Real Housewife' Could Join 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 21?
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Episode 5B Photos: Justin and Mackenzie Get a Surprise Wedding
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Which Juror Returns and Who Is the Week 10 HoH?
- More From BuddyTV
- Reign Season 3 Trailer Makes Chilling Prediction: 'Scotland's Queen Will Fall'
- TVLine Items: Astronaut Wife to Fox, Miss America Adds Co-Host & More
- Did Masters Jump the Ape? Did Arrow Lend Suits His Wig? Are the New Dead Hot? Team Briggs? And More TV Qs
- Dana Delany Previews Amazon's Haunting Hand of God, Makes Serious Pitch for Desperate Housewives Musical
- Limitless Taps Desmond Harrington for Dexter Reunion With Jennifer Carpenter
- More From TVLine
- Bindi Irwin Steps Out in Costume for 'DWTS' Photo Shoot
- Michael Fassbender Goes Scruffy in New Photos From 'Assassin's Creed' and 'Macbeth'
- Jessica Biel Looks Amazing in Rare Public Appearance Post-Baby
- 'The Big Bang Theory' to Feature a 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Episode in Season 9!
- Miley Cyrus Shuts Down Stella Maxwell Relationship Rumors: 'I Change My Style Every Two Weeks, Let Alone Who I'm With'
- More From ET