Last week production on the biopic was suspended after Bette Midler had to pull out on doctors' orders. Now it's been reported that her replacement is none other than 'The Queen' star, Helen Mirren.
Mirren will play Linda Kenney Baden, a defense attorney who represented disgraced music producer Phil Spector during his first trial for murdering Lana Clarkson.
Production was suspended Tuesday after she failed to turn up for filming, and Deadline reports that Midler had to pull out on doctors' orders after suffering a herniated disc.
David Mamet told the crew that HBO and the insurance company were looking at recasting the part, which has since been confirmed by the cable network.
Mamet wrote the film, which is being exec-produced by 'Rain Man' director Barry Levinson.
Charlie Sheen Might (or Might Not) Play a Zombie on 'The Walking Dead,' Jane Fonda Wants a TV Show and More
Wait, what? Isn't he on TV's biggest sitcom? Well, yeah. Just as we suspected, the news is sadly untrue. Unfortunately, E! Online reports that an AMC rep called the story "crazy."
Blast! We were having so much fun thinking about which way Zombie Charlie would kick the proverbial bucket (again): axe to the head? Gunshot? Bludgeoning? Oh, the possibilities ...
In other TV news ...
• After a long and storied film (and workout video) career, Jane Fonda wants to venture into television. "I have a sort of a vision of what it could be and that's all that I'll say," Fonda said. "I think the best, edgiest writing is now on cable television. It's pretty exciting." [AP]
• Awesome alert: The 'Freaks and Geeks' cast will probably reunite for a Q&A at the 2011 PaleyFest in March. Co-executive producer Judd Apatow said arrangements are coming together for the sure-to-be-epic event. [Variety]
• 'True Blood's' season 4 recurring cast keeps on growing. 'Hawthrone' actress Christina Moore will play Suzanne McKittrick, a Texas housewife with special powers. In addition to Moore, 'Lost' actor Neil Hopkins will play Claude and Chris Butler will play Emory, a shapeshifter. [Deadline Hollywood]
Now, I intend on using every one of Carlin's "dirty words" after the jump so consider yourself warned. Be prepared to wash your computer's mouth out with soap. It may look like a saint, but it swears like sailor.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- It's country night tonight on American Idol! And as if you needed another reason to watch, check out the commercials directed by Pulitzer Prize winner David Mamet.
- Survivor is seriously considering a cold-weather location for an upcoming season.
Sure to be among Mamet's most lasting quotes from the forthcoming book: "Hollywood is like cocaine. You cannot understand its attraction until you are doing it. And when you are doing it, you are insane." If the article on which the book is based is any indication, we won't be hearing anything terribly new about Hollywood from Mamet -- drugs, bad behavior, commerce triumphs over art always, etc. However, all of this will be said in the Mamet style - equal parts economy and filth. I'll be pre-ordering my copy today.
Now as most of you have gathered by now, I'm not a huge fan of this show. My plan was to give it three episodes, and if it didn't sway me, then I'd walk away. Last night's episode was the third installment, so that means I'm walkin'.
Now I went in to this planning on writing a less harsh review because, believe it or not, I do read all the comments people write and I realize that many folks love this show. However, I won't have to try too hard at doing so because this episode wasn't that bad. It's easily the best of the first three.
I really want to like this show, but Dennis Haysbert and Co. are making that as hard as possibly can be. I honestly can't decide which episode I liked less: last week's series premiere or this one.
I think I'm going to lean in last week's favor because I had trouble keeping my eyes open for last night's episode. I kept catching myself as I started to nod off. I'm fine with that because I'm certain that the four of five minutes that I missed due to my temporary narcolepsy had nothing of importance in them.
Actually, I'm re-evaluating that last sentence. I'm not fine with it. If I'm going to doze off for a few minutes during a show, I don't want to wake up and feel all right about it. I want to wake up and feel worried that I've just missed the best two minutes in television history. This show doesn't give me that sensation.
Well no sense in sugar-coating it. I'm gonna have a hard time recommending this show, but I'm still willing to give it a few more episodes before I completely give up on it. The Unit just wasn't that good. On paper it reminded me a lot of E-Ring: spectacular cast with some great minds behind it (in this case David Mamet and Shawn Ryan).
But it turns out that, thus far, The Unit is going to suffer the same fate as E-Ring because last night's pilot episode had an unbelievably boring storyline.
- Pros Vs. Joes, Mondays @ 10pm on Spike (premieres March 6)
- Ordinary people face off against pro athletes like Karl Malone, Bo Jackson, Jerry Rice, Jennie Finch, etc. This is for sports fans with big mouths.
- The Unit, Tuesdays @ 9 on CBS (premieres March 7)
- Dennis Haysbert returns to action-packed television, this time as the leader of a
special ops team that goes on risky missions across the globe. The show is about the missions, but also about how the
families at home handle the stress of living in secret. Produced by David Mamet.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'NCIS' Episode 13.5 Photos: Abby Becomes a Hostage When She Leaves Her Lab
- 'Fargo' Season 2 Premiere Recap: Murder in a Small Town (Again)
- 'Castle' Recap: Beckett Gets Closer to the Truth
- 'Blindspot' Recap: Jane's New Identity is Called into Question
- 'Minority Report' Recap: Dash Finds Love in All the Wrong Places
- More From BuddyTV
- Nick Carter Says Backstreet Boys-Spice Girls Tour Could Happen With Support From Fans
- 'RHOC' Star Vicki Gunvalson Gets Candid About Split From Brooks Ayers
- Tom Bergeron Pays an Emotional Tribute to His Late Father on 'DWTS'
- Adam Levine's Bald Look Made Its Debut on 'The Voice' and Inspired the Best Memes
- Bindi Irwin Welcomes Her New 'DWTS' Partner With Insane Surprise -- a Giant Python!
- More From ET