daytime emmy awards
Simon Cowell said, "Without 'Bandstand,' without Dick, there would be no 'American Idol.'" Ryan Seacrest told Clark, "I personally want to thank you -- what you've done for our industry, for music and for me. I'm proud to be your friend."
"Did I write that for you?" joked the still-feisty stroke survivor, before tearing up during a standing ovation.
The accolades continued with a Lifetime Achievement Award for Agnes Nixon, creator of 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live.'
Maura West nabbed Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her role in 'As the World Turns' -- her last chance, as the awards show said goodbye to the 53-year-old series. Her tearful daughter joined her onstage, and they thanked the voters with a curtsy.
'The Bold and the Beautiful' crowd seemed shocked to win Outstanding Drama for the second consecutive year. Other surprise wins included 'Cash Cab,' which took home two Emmys, for Game Show and Game Show Host (Ben Bailey). And Oprah Winfrey protege Dr. Mehmet Oz won Outstanding Talk Show Host on 'The Dr. Oz Show.'
Game show emcees Wayne Brady ('Let's Make a Deal'), Jeff Foxworthy ('Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?') and Alex Trebek ('Jeopardy') have just been added to the list of presenters at this year's Daytime Emmy Awards.
That's in addition to Regis Philbin, who'll host the show, and multi-hyphenate-host Ryan Seacrest, who will introduce a tribute to Dick Clark and 'American Bandstand.' Donny Osmond, Chubby Checker, Tony Orlando and the Jersey Boys head the line-up of stars who'll take part in the tribute.
'General Hospital's Vanessa Marcil will also present at the awards ceremony, which will be broadcast live from the Las Vegas Hilton on Sun., Jun. 27 on CBS.
Previously announced presenters include Rachael Ray, Susan Lucci, Kelly Monaco, Montel Williams and Dr. Travis Stork, Dr. Drew Ordon, Dr. Jim Sears and Dr. Lisa Masterson from the Daytime Emmy-nominated show, 'The Doctors.'
Variety.com reports that producers have rounded up a parade of celebs to toast Clark during the Sunday, June 27 CBS telecast of the Daytime Emmys. Curiously, Clark's 'New Year's Rockin' Eve' co-host Ryan Seacrest isn't listed among those who'll celebrate Clark, though Barry Manilow, Marie Osmond, Frankie Avalon, Ann-Margaret and The Spinners are.
I like cooking shows and light, mindless entertainment, so I would think that Ray's show would be a natural for me, but...gah.
- A 7, NBC has a new Dateline, then Pre-Season Football, the Bears vs. the Broncos.
- At 8, CBS has a new Big Brother, followed by a new There Goes The Neighborhood.
- The CW has the Daytime Emmy Awards at 8.
- Food Network has a new Challenge at 8, followed by a new Iron Chef America.
- At 9, ABC has a new Shark Tank, then a new Defying Gravity.
- PBS has a new Masterpiece Mystery! at 9.
- Comedy Central has Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder at 9.
- There's a new Drop Dead Diva on Lifetime at 8, then a new Army Wives.
- National Geographic Channel has the series premiere of The Human Family Tree at 9.
- HBO has a new True Blood at 9, followed by new episodes of Hung and Entourage.
- Also at 9: Syfy has the movie High Plains Invaders.
- At 10, AMC has a new Mad Men.
- HGTV has a new Design Star at 10.
- History Channel has two new episodes of Pawn Stars at 10.
- At 11:30, Cartoon Network has a new Robot Chicken.
Check your local TV listings for more.
That's nestled in a huge bed of estrogen from where I'm sitting. No wonder a show like Reaper didn't make it if this is the new demographic The CW is seeking. The manliest shows on the network are Supernatural and Smallville, and both of those do well with the ladies, certainly better than Sock did. Other than that, it's Gossip Girl, 90210, The Vampire Diaries, America's Next Top Model -- how did this happen?
It's almost all teen dramas now, and it's definitely skewing female. They managed to abandon comedies and African-American featured shows in one fell swoop by canceling Everybody Hates Chris and The Game, and they dumped the hellishly fun Reaper. All that's left is pretty people pouting. Is this what America wanted out of our fifth network?
So did the seating arrangements make a difference? Well, it depends. Those who were there probably had a better time because there was an open bar, just like the Golden Globes. For viewers, it still looked like the Daytime Emmys, including many familiar faces winning. After a strained attempt at comedy for the opening -- blending All My Children fictional characters with The View's real hosts -- the show commenced.
- At 8, CBS repeats (from this morning) Bob Barkers final Price Is Right. It's followed by the Daytime Emmy Awards.
- ABC runs a episode of Kyle XY at 8, then new episodes of National Bingo Night and 20/20.
- The CW has a new Smackdown at 8.
- TCM is showing Nancy Drew movies all night.
- Also at 8: Sci-Fi has a new Stargate SG-1, followed by new episodes of Stargate: Atlantis and Painkiller Jane.
- At 9, FOX has a new Standoff.
- Discovery has a new Man vs. Wild at 9.
- Hallmark has a new movie at 9, You've Got A Friend.
- At 10, A&E has a new Intervention.
Oh yeah, here's a great idea: allow obsessive soap opera fans to be on stage about ten feet from actors and actresses.
That's the plan for the Daytime Emmy Awards this Friday (9pm on CBS, right after Bob Barker's final episode on The Price Is Right). They're going to have a special red carpet bleacher section on stage, where selected fans will be able to scream and yell and take pictures. And if you think my headline isn't true, here's a quote from Young and the Restless veteran Peter Bergman:
"Just presenting, you could be accosted. Lucky me...it ends up being almost silliness. It's not how I want to celebrate a career achievement."
That's not all. They're also asking fans to send in comments via the web site, and some of these comments will be inserted into award introductions.
I reported on the Daytime Emmy Award nominations yesterday and noted that Live with Regis & Kelly wasn't nominated in the Best Talk Show category. While that's technically true, the show was nominated in another category for morning shows. They'll go up against The Today Show, Good Morning, America and Univision's Despierta America in a new category. Regis still wasn't nominated for Best Host though.
Oh, and Regis is doing quite fine after heart bypass surgery yesterday. Kelly Ripa announced the news on the show this morning. One of his doctors said that Reege has "the heart of a 19 year-old." It wasn't clear which 19 year-old this was, but hopefully they will give it back to this person so they can also live a long, healthy life.
Those cruel Emmy bastards. Here Regis Philbin is today, recuperating from his heart bypass surgery (unless it's still going on, which is possible), and he doesn't even get a nomination for Best Talk Show or Host!
Ellen got a nod though, and she led all nominees with 12 nominations. Going up against her for Best Talk Show are Dr. Phil, The View, Tyra Banks, and Rachael Ray. If she's not the winner out of that group, something is wrong somewhere. She's also up for Best Talk Show Host, with the same nominees and also Lisa Rinna, who apparently hosts something called Soap Talk.
The shows up for Best Soap are Guiding Light, The Young and the Restless, One Life To Live, and The Bold and the Beautiful. Bob Barker got a nomination for The Price Is Right. His last day on that show is in June.
Oh, and that Today Show "It's a New Day" theme? It got a nom too.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from ?Paris Is Burning?
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 7.4 Photos: The Heaven and Hell Ball
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Recap: Sexual Foibles
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Season 7 Premiere Recap: Who Are the Heretics?
- 'Project Runway' Recap: The Production Crew Get Makeovers
- More From BuddyTV
- How to Get Away With Murder Recap: 'Tonya, You Negligent Slut!'
- Scandal Recap: White House Frown
- Heroes Reborn Recap: Suicide Squad
- Sleepy Hollow Recap: Secrets and Spies, Plus: The Witnesses as Roomies
- More From TVLine
- Jon Gosselin Wishes Twins Mady and Cara a Happy 15th Birthday With Throwback Pic
- Two Looks One Star
- D.A. Requested Bobbi Kristina Brown's Autopsy Be Sealed for Fear of Potential Flight Risk, Harm to Witnesses
- What is Lupus, and Why Would Selena Gomez Get Chemo for It?
- Someone in a Dinosaur Costume Totally Aced This 'American Ninja Warrior' Course
- More From ET