July 24, 2014
by John Scott Lewinski, posted Oct 22nd 2009 4:05PM
It's a rare, disturbing sight to watch a television show torn to pieces -- literally.
While on my set visit for Stargate Universe at Bridge Studios in Vancouver, I stayed with the main press tour. It took us from the main stage holding the massive set of the starship Destiny across the expansive lot to a series off small office buildings housing the show's costume shop and editing bays.
The route took us past the sound stage that once housed the production for ABC's Defying Gravity. Of course, the ambitious prime time sci-fi drama was canceled early this fall season. So, the cast and crew were long gone.
The sounds coming out of that distant sound stage were strangely tragic. There was the grinding of band saws, the pounding of sledgehammers and the growling of large cranes -- all working together to tear the show's elaborate sets to pieces.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TVLine Items: Mayim's Candid, Conan Is Beheaded, Big Bang Status and More
- Ratings: Fresh Talent Boosts Taxi, Big Brother and SYTYCD Rise, Extant Falls
- Can TV's S.H.I.E.L.D. Not Reassemble Until the May 2015 Avengers Sequel?
- Extant Recap: Crappy Birthday to You
- Mircea Monroe, Aimee Garcia Join Michael Rosenbaum in TV Land Pilot
- More From TVLine
- Taylor Swift's Love Advice to a Fan About 'Unrequited Love' Is Actually Pretty Sweet
- Zoe Saldana Pregnant with Twins?! (REPORT)
- 'Better Call Saul' Billboard Lets You Actually Call Saul
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal In the Works After 'Cabaret' Outburst
- EXCLUSIVE: Kelsey Grammer's Wife Kayte Gives Birth to Their Second Child
- More From ET