Viola Davis, his co-star in the play 'Fences,' visited 'The Tonight Show With Jay Leno' (weeknights, 11:35PM ET on NBC) and just couldn't resist discussing the experience of working with Denzel every night.
On a different subject, Lopez asked Washington how he responds to guys that want to date his two college-age daughters. "Well, like a friend of mine said, you come to the door in your underwear first ... mess up your hair. And you tell the boy, 'Look, I got a shovel and a shotgun. I don't mind using either one, or both.' You know, just act crazy." But Washington tends to parent his two sons differently than the daughters.
The actor gave the play-by-play: "He scores a touchdown, but his mother ran down the field with him!" As her son reached the end zone, Pauletta got slammed by another player. "She doesn't see [number] 53 coming -- a mother's love!" said Washington.
The studio audience gasped during the slow-motion replay. But not to worry: "She jumped up faster than the guy did."
What he got instead was a loot at how incredibly intense and competitive Washington gets when in a competition. We'd hate to sit across from the table from him in Scrabble, and not just because he knew how many "Ts" were in Andy Pettitte's name.
Washington was pacing around the stage, and mashing his button even before Leno could finish his questions. At one point, he even assumed the wrong question, hitting his buzzer before Leno had even finished asking it.n for it!
At first, it was thought the throaty voice belonged to a man, which caused Washington to get visibly flustered. But, the compliment actually came from an elderly woman, who said she was even willing to share Washington with his wife of 26 years.
Watch the video after the jump.
But, as the Monday morning after the madness dawns, we'll take a few minutes and review the major impressions left by the four day weekend.
What happened? What were the biggest themes of the convention and what didn't happen that everyone was hoping would. In other words, what was Comic-Con 2009, and where did it fall short?
Even though TV Squad's very own John Scott Lewinski is fighting his way through hordes of overweight Rorschachs and pre-pubescent Chun Lis to get exclusive interviews and scoops on the newest TV news at the San Diego Comic Con, don't forget that our partners-in-crime from Cinematical are also there covering the latest flim-flam in film.
The movie side of the annual pop-culture cavalcade opened with one of the biggest names in the history of film and what could very well be one of the biggest names in the future of film. Director James Cameron screened a solid 25 minutes of his forthcoming sci-fi epic Avatar. Blogger Todd Gilchrist got a hint of the plot and special effects movie-goers can expect when the film hits theaters later this year and said it "promises to be both hugely entertaining and technically groundbreaking." Man, that's got me worried. That's what they also said about Titanic.
Have you seen American Gangster? Did you love it? Then Forest Whitaker has a show for you.
Whitaker has made a deal with Showtime to executive produce a new series called Mr. Untouchable, detailing the life of Harlem gangster Leroy "Nicky" Barnes.
Currently, Cuba Gooding Jr. is portraying Barnes on the big screen alongside Denzel Washington.
The series, however, is not connected to the big screen offering. Instead, it's based on a documentary (also titled Mr. Untouchable) released by Marc Levin, who is also executive producing.
That's the word from a retailer anyway (no word from Fox yet). The first season of the critically-acclaimed drama will be released on December 12.
Sometimes it's easy to forget how groundbreaking this show was. The topics they covered, the writing. And the cast! Denzel Washington, Howie Mandel, Mark Harmon, Ed Begley, Jr., David Morse, Eric Stoltz, and Tim Robbins were all regulars on the show at one point or another, along with many others.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Star Kyle Richards on Brandi Glanville: 'We Won't Be Friends Again'
- 'The Amazing Race' Predictions: Who Will Win Season 25?
- 'Kardashians' Couple Officially Divorced, Bruce Jenner to Change Name?
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Star NeNe Leakes: ' I'm Not Friends With Cynthia'
- 'The 100': The Ups and Downs of Finn's Journey
- More From BuddyTV
- Colbert Report's Final Episode: Murder, Santa Claus and So. Many. Celebrities.
- Post Mortem: Covert Affairs EPs on Annie's Big Choices, Auggie's News — Plus: Will There Be a Season 6?
- Post Mortem: White Collar Boss on Neal's Last Con, Alternate Ending
- Parenthood Creator Jason Katims Confirms Series Finale Airdate, Title
- Vampire Diaries: Ian Somerhalder to Direct Season 6 Episode
- More From TVLine
- Kate Upton Named People's Sexiest Woman Alive
- Sony Hacking Scandal: Did Hollywood Cave In?
- Craig Ferguson Passes 'The Late Late Show' Torch to James Corden
- Gloria Estefan Dreams of Performing in a Free Cuba, Can She Go Home?
- 'American Horror Story': Neil Patrick Harris Arrives at the Freak Show
- More From ET