Television's long and storied history is filled with game and competition shows that pit their contestants in a physical, psychological and gastrointestinal showdown, most of which were lost to the ravages of obscurity. Well, it's "filled" if you only look at the last few years or so when the economy tanked and people turned to humiliating themselves in the national media to keep from having to hunt small rodents for sustenance. That's how 'The View' got started.
These are the shows that not only tortured contestants, but also their viewing audience unless Dick Cheney happened to be watching any of them.
This AP article compares the version of the movie that was sent out to critics and the version that aired last night. Interestingly, the edits were in the exact places that got the Clinton supporters hot under the collar. In the aired version of the movie, the connections between the Lewinsky scandal and Clinton's inaction towards Osama bin Laden were de-emphasized, and the blame for not attacking OBL when we had the chance were shared amongst the administration and the intelligence community. Whether you believe or support any of these versions of the movies, it's interesting that ABC made the cuts it made while still defending the movie because it was a docudrama and not a documentary. I think that's what is called "Talking out both sides of your mouth."
Part two airs tonight, interrupted by President Bush's address to the nation.
A British study of 69 children ages 7 to 12 found that the kids, when having blood samples drawn, experienced less pain if they were watching cartoons than when their own mothers tried to soothe them. My first inclination, which was also echoed by Dr. Brenda McClain of Yale University, is that when a parent is obviously trying to console a child, the child becomes more anxious because they believe something must really be wrong. Kids tend to be smarter than people give them credit for, and they pick up on things like that. Nevertheless, other researchers insist that this means television is having more of an impact on kids than their own parents. I don't see it as anything so dramatic, but what do you guys, especially those of you with kids, think? I just wonder when the kids get to have their revenge and jab the researchers with sharp objects. It seems only fair.
[via Lost Remote]
- PBS has new episodes of both Nova and Frontline. Check local listings.
- The 12 female finalists sing for the judges on a two hour American Idol, on FOX at 8pm.
- ABC has a repeat According To Jim, a new Rodney, a new According To Jim, a repeat George Lopez, then a new Boston Legal (with Tom Selleck).
- CBS has two repeat eps of NCIS, then a repeat CSI.
- NBC has The Olympics all night.
- Lots of movies lately on UPN and the WB. Tonight, UPN has Black Night, while the WB has Final Destination 2.
- ABC Family has Lindsay Lohan in the remake of The Parent Trap.
- Also at 8: HGTV has a new Designed To Sell, followed by a repeat Design Remix, a new Decorating Cents, and then a new Mission: Organization.
- Toon Disney has a new Power Rangers Mystic Force. It's on at 8 too.
- At 9, USA has Rowan Atkinson and John Malkovich in Johnny English, while Lifetime has Michael Douglas and Kirk Douglas in It Runs In The Family.
- At 10, FX has a new ep of The Shield.
- AMC has Al Pacino in Insomnia, also at 10.
- Also at 10: The History Channel has a new Modern Marvels.
- At 11, G4 has a new ep of X-Play.
- At midnight, Comedy Central has a new Distraction.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Hannibal Finale Post Mortem: Bryan Fuller on Will/Lecter Love, Bedelia's Last Supper, That Siouxsie Sioux Jam
- Alison Brie and Cast of Teachers Preview 'Shocking' TV Land Comedy
- Downton Abbey Trailer Tees Up Bittersweet Final Season
- Elementary Casts Shohreh Aghdashloo as Papa Holmes' Associate
- Blunt Talk Sneak Peek: Harry Chandler, Reluctant Porn Star?
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: Khloe Kardashian Spills on Fireworks Fiasco at Boyfriend's Yacht Party: 'No One Would Just Take That Risk'
- 11 Most Daring Celebrity Swimsuit Moments of the Summer
- EXCLUSIVE: Kris Jenner Sets the Story Straight on Her Kids' Rumors — And Why She Fell Asleep on Kanye West!
- Josh Duggar's Sister Jessa Speaks at Southern Women's Show, Opens Up About Her Home Life
- One Direction's Liam Payne Turns 22! Look Back at 7 of His Hottest Moments
- More From ET