The network is going to give Dockers three free commercials during the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament coming up this month. The Dockers ad ran first before another men-in-shorts commercial for CareerBuilder, so they're the ones that will get the free spots.
This is rather odd, and I wonder if it will set an unwanted precedent when it comes to what advertisers can expect/want. So what if the ads were similar in content? It's not like Dockers and CareerBuilder are Coke and Pepsi and they ran ads next to each other. Maybe CBS should give viewers something for free for having to endure the commercials. I'd like a 'Late Show' mug.
This year I'm picking the seven worst ads, while Kona is handling the seven best. Two rules for my worst: no movie ads (they're in a category all by themselves and shouldn't be judged with the other ads), and I tried not to pick any commercials that aired before today.
One of the many problems facing broadcasters as we move into the future is the proliferation of DVRs and their fantastic ability to allow people to blow right through all of those bill paying commercials. In the continuing effort to thwart quick fingered viewers, networks are turning to live commercials.
The idea being that the live commercial offers something different enough that it will be worth your time, while your 300th viewing of Cisco welcoming you to the human network no longer even registers. The New York Times has a good article on how this latest incarnation of what is a very old idea is being implemented. They talk about spots that Kimmel and Leno have done and also give a peak at Spike's plans for a live three-minute game show that would run during commercial breaks.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Messengers' Recap: Dealing with Pestilence
- 'Wayward Pines' Interview: M. Night Shyamalan on Shocking Death and Darker Turn
- 'Bachelorette' Star Kaitlyn Bristowe on Pre-Fantasy Suite Sex: 'I Don't Know Why Everyone is So Shocked'
- 'The Bachelor' Season 11 Week 2 Photos: Punchlines and Punches
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Ranking the 13 Most Shocking Tribal Councils from Season 30
- More From BuddyTV
- Fuller House: Olsen Twins Not Returning as Michelle, EP Confirms
- The Good Wife: Matthew Goode Exits Ahead of Season 7
- American Crime Story: Cuba Gooding, Jr. as O.J. Simpson & More Cast Photos
- TVLine Items: Danny Trejo's Dusk Role Revealed, McHale Hosts ESPYS & More
- Humans First Look: AMC Drama Offers Eerie Take on Androids Among Us
- More From TVLine
- Robert De Niro Gives Blunt Commencement Speech: 'You're F***ed'
- Hollywood's 9 Hottest Hunks of Summer
- Josh Duggar Molestation Allegations: A Timeline of Events
- Chris Pratt Hilariously Pre-Apologizes for 'Jurassic World' Press Tour
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Aren't Returning for 'Full House' Revival
- More From ET