The network is going to give Dockers three free commercials during the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament coming up this month. The Dockers ad ran first before another men-in-shorts commercial for CareerBuilder, so they're the ones that will get the free spots.
This is rather odd, and I wonder if it will set an unwanted precedent when it comes to what advertisers can expect/want. So what if the ads were similar in content? It's not like Dockers and CareerBuilder are Coke and Pepsi and they ran ads next to each other. Maybe CBS should give viewers something for free for having to endure the commercials. I'd like a 'Late Show' mug.
This year I'm picking the seven worst ads, while Kona is handling the seven best. Two rules for my worst: no movie ads (they're in a category all by themselves and shouldn't be judged with the other ads), and I tried not to pick any commercials that aired before today.
One of the many problems facing broadcasters as we move into the future is the proliferation of DVRs and their fantastic ability to allow people to blow right through all of those bill paying commercials. In the continuing effort to thwart quick fingered viewers, networks are turning to live commercials.
The idea being that the live commercial offers something different enough that it will be worth your time, while your 300th viewing of Cisco welcoming you to the human network no longer even registers. The New York Times has a good article on how this latest incarnation of what is a very old idea is being implemented. They talk about spots that Kimmel and Leno have done and also give a peak at Spike's plans for a live three-minute game show that would run during commercial breaks.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Resurrection' Premiere and Cast Photos
- 'Believe' Premiere and Cast Photos
- 'Elementary' My Dear Watson: Best Deductions from 'Ears to You'
- 'The Following' Season 2 Episode Photos
- 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland': 19 Moments of Shock, Determination, Joy and Grief in 'Nothing to Fear'
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Cosmos': A 'stunning,''magical mystery tour' to revive popular science for the world
- 'Turn': Meet Jamie Bell's Abe Woodhull and more in new character posters
- 'Sherlock' Season 4: Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss tease Moriarty's return, premiere date
- Katie Holmes cast to star in 'Dangerous Liaisons'-style pilot on ABC
- 'Mad Men' gets a groovy Season 7 poster from graphic artist Milton Glaser
- More From Zap2it
- HBO Reveals First Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Promo — Watch and Weigh In
- American Idol: What Should the Top 11 Sing for Movie Soundtrack Night?
- Veronica Mars Movie: Jason Dohring Answers the Burning Question – Is 'LoVe' Still in the Air?
- TVLine Items: Sharknado 2 Premiere Date, True Blood Promotion, Orphan Catch-Up and More
- Pilot News: Felicity Huffman Joins American Crime, John Corbett Returns to FX and More
- More From TVLine