The network is going to give Dockers three free commercials during the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament coming up this month. The Dockers ad ran first before another men-in-shorts commercial for CareerBuilder, so they're the ones that will get the free spots.
This is rather odd, and I wonder if it will set an unwanted precedent when it comes to what advertisers can expect/want. So what if the ads were similar in content? It's not like Dockers and CareerBuilder are Coke and Pepsi and they ran ads next to each other. Maybe CBS should give viewers something for free for having to endure the commercials. I'd like a 'Late Show' mug.
This year I'm picking the seven worst ads, while Kona is handling the seven best. Two rules for my worst: no movie ads (they're in a category all by themselves and shouldn't be judged with the other ads), and I tried not to pick any commercials that aired before today.
One of the many problems facing broadcasters as we move into the future is the proliferation of DVRs and their fantastic ability to allow people to blow right through all of those bill paying commercials. In the continuing effort to thwart quick fingered viewers, networks are turning to live commercials.
The idea being that the live commercial offers something different enough that it will be worth your time, while your 300th viewing of Cisco welcoming you to the human network no longer even registers. The New York Times has a good article on how this latest incarnation of what is a very old idea is being implemented. They talk about spots that Kimmel and Leno have done and also give a peak at Spike's plans for a live three-minute game show that would run during commercial breaks.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Teen Wolf' Interview: Dylan Sprayberry Talks More Comedy for Liam in Season 5
- 'RHONYC' Star Ramona Singer on Cheating Husband: He's 'Dead' to Me
- 'Teen Wolf' Recap: The Pack Takes a Trip Down Memory Lane
- 'The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose' Recap: A Happy Couple and a Broken Heart
- Meet the Designers of 'Project Runway' Season 14
- More From BuddyTV
- Fuller House: Olsen Twins 'Teetering' on Deal to Join Netflix Revival
- Ratings: The Bachelorette Surges vs. Previous Season Finale
- Longmire: Netflix Sets Season 4 Release Date, Solves Time Jump Mystery
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix Comedy Series Gets Release Date, Masterful Title
- I Am Cait Tops Sunday Cable Ratings
- More From TVLine
- Liam Neeson's Shocking Weight Loss Leaves Him Nearly Unrecognizable in NYC
- EXCLUSIVE: Nick Gordon Wearing Bobbi Kristina Brown's Engagement Ring After Her Death
- EXCLUSIVE: You Have to Watch This Hilarious Country-fied Pop Medley From Home Free
- Star Sightings July 2015
- Is Taylor Swift a Mean Girl? Grizzly Bear Frontman Slams Her on Twitter
- More From ET