The network is going to give Dockers three free commercials during the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament coming up this month. The Dockers ad ran first before another men-in-shorts commercial for CareerBuilder, so they're the ones that will get the free spots.
This is rather odd, and I wonder if it will set an unwanted precedent when it comes to what advertisers can expect/want. So what if the ads were similar in content? It's not like Dockers and CareerBuilder are Coke and Pepsi and they ran ads next to each other. Maybe CBS should give viewers something for free for having to endure the commercials. I'd like a 'Late Show' mug.
This year I'm picking the seven worst ads, while Kona is handling the seven best. Two rules for my worst: no movie ads (they're in a category all by themselves and shouldn't be judged with the other ads), and I tried not to pick any commercials that aired before today.
One of the many problems facing broadcasters as we move into the future is the proliferation of DVRs and their fantastic ability to allow people to blow right through all of those bill paying commercials. In the continuing effort to thwart quick fingered viewers, networks are turning to live commercials.
The idea being that the live commercial offers something different enough that it will be worth your time, while your 300th viewing of Cisco welcoming you to the human network no longer even registers. The New York Times has a good article on how this latest incarnation of what is a very old idea is being implemented. They talk about spots that Kimmel and Leno have done and also give a peak at Spike's plans for a live three-minute game show that would run during commercial breaks.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Flash' Cast in Other Roles
- 'Reign' Interview: Torrance Coombs Teases Darker Season 2 and Bash Becoming Francis' Deputy
- 'Gracepoint' Review: Why It's More Than Just Another Murder Mystery
- 'A to Z' Review: Can You Fall In Love with a Couple That's Doomed?
- [Video] 'Bad Judge' Preview: An Unconventional Courtroom
- More From BuddyTV
- Ratings: Stalker Matches CSI Numbers, Criminal Minds Returns Strong, Red Band Stabilizes, black-ish Drops
- USA Network Pulls Plug on Rush, Continues Tryst With Satisfaction
- Reign Season 2: Toby Regbo on Francis' Baby Skills, Lola's Threat and More
- Vampire Diaries' Nina Dobrev Talks Life After Damon, Stelena's New 'Journey'
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine Video: Whoa, Did 'The Closer' Once Seduce Capt. Holt?
- More From TVLine
- Did Gloria Estefan Discover Ariana Grande?
- The Real Reason The Afflecks Didn't Get Invited to George Clooney's Wedding
- Watch Will Ferrell Chant 'Derek Jeter' for 4 Long Minutes
- David Letterman and Bill O'Reilly Take a Compatibility Test
- Olivia Pope's 'Scandal' Men Pose Shirtless with Pups
- More From ET