The network is going to give Dockers three free commercials during the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament coming up this month. The Dockers ad ran first before another men-in-shorts commercial for CareerBuilder, so they're the ones that will get the free spots.
This is rather odd, and I wonder if it will set an unwanted precedent when it comes to what advertisers can expect/want. So what if the ads were similar in content? It's not like Dockers and CareerBuilder are Coke and Pepsi and they ran ads next to each other. Maybe CBS should give viewers something for free for having to endure the commercials. I'd like a 'Late Show' mug.
This year I'm picking the seven worst ads, while Kona is handling the seven best. Two rules for my worst: no movie ads (they're in a category all by themselves and shouldn't be judged with the other ads), and I tried not to pick any commercials that aired before today.
One of the many problems facing broadcasters as we move into the future is the proliferation of DVRs and their fantastic ability to allow people to blow right through all of those bill paying commercials. In the continuing effort to thwart quick fingered viewers, networks are turning to live commercials.
The idea being that the live commercial offers something different enough that it will be worth your time, while your 300th viewing of Cisco welcoming you to the human network no longer even registers. The New York Times has a good article on how this latest incarnation of what is a very old idea is being implemented. They talk about spots that Kimmel and Leno have done and also give a peak at Spike's plans for a live three-minute game show that would run during commercial breaks.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelor' Book Club: Reality Stars Turned Authors
- 'Project Runway' Season 14: Ranking the Looks of 'Fashion Flip'
- Which 'Real Housewife' Could Join 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 21?
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Episode 5B Photos: Justin and Mackenzie Get a Surprise Wedding
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Which Juror Returns and Who Is the Week 10 HoH?
- More From BuddyTV
- Reign Season 3 Trailer Makes Chilling Prediction: 'Scotland's Queen Will Fall'
- TVLine Items: Astronaut Wife to Fox, Miss America Adds Co-Host & More
- Did Masters Jump the Ape? Did Arrow Lend Suits His Wig? Are the New Dead Hot? Team Briggs? And More TV Qs
- Dana Delany Previews Amazon's Haunting Hand of God, Makes Serious Pitch for Desperate Housewives Musical
- Limitless Taps Desmond Harrington for Dexter Reunion With Jennifer Carpenter
- More From TVLine
- Bindi Irwin Steps Out in Costume for 'DWTS' Photo Shoot
- Michael Fassbender Goes Scruffy in New Photos From 'Assassin's Creed' and 'Macbeth'
- Jessica Biel Looks Amazing in Rare Public Appearance Post-Baby
- 'The Big Bang Theory' to Feature a 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Episode in Season 9!
- Miley Cyrus Shuts Down Stella Maxwell Relationship Rumors: 'I Change My Style Every Two Weeks, Let Alone Who I'm With'
- More From ET