The network is going to give Dockers three free commercials during the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament coming up this month. The Dockers ad ran first before another men-in-shorts commercial for CareerBuilder, so they're the ones that will get the free spots.
This is rather odd, and I wonder if it will set an unwanted precedent when it comes to what advertisers can expect/want. So what if the ads were similar in content? It's not like Dockers and CareerBuilder are Coke and Pepsi and they ran ads next to each other. Maybe CBS should give viewers something for free for having to endure the commercials. I'd like a 'Late Show' mug.
This year I'm picking the seven worst ads, while Kona is handling the seven best. Two rules for my worst: no movie ads (they're in a category all by themselves and shouldn't be judged with the other ads), and I tried not to pick any commercials that aired before today.
One of the many problems facing broadcasters as we move into the future is the proliferation of DVRs and their fantastic ability to allow people to blow right through all of those bill paying commercials. In the continuing effort to thwart quick fingered viewers, networks are turning to live commercials.
The idea being that the live commercial offers something different enough that it will be worth your time, while your 300th viewing of Cisco welcoming you to the human network no longer even registers. The New York Times has a good article on how this latest incarnation of what is a very old idea is being implemented. They talk about spots that Kimmel and Leno have done and also give a peak at Spike's plans for a live three-minute game show that would run during commercial breaks.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'America's Got Talent' Season 9: Semifinals Part 1 Performance Rankings
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 21 Episode 3 Photos: Behind the Scenes of the Rainy Photo Shoot
- 'Under the Dome': 19 Shocking Moments from 'The Red Door'
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Episode 5 Photos: The Aftermath of Hurricane AshLee
- 'Covert Affairs' Summer Finale Recap: A Place to Fight Back From
- More From BuddyTV
- Chelsea Lately's Final Hour: Handler Says (and Sings) Goodbye to E!
- Has Once Upon a Time's Season 4B Villain Been Revealed...?
- Post Mortem: Covert Affairs Bosses Talk [Spoiler]'s Fate, Annie and Auggie's 'Challenge' and More
- Pretty Little Liars Summer Finale Recap: Death Becomes Her
- CBS' The McCarthys Drafts Rick Fox
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: Oprah to Play Richard Pryor's Grandma in Lee Daniels' Biopic
- A 'Full House' Revival is in the Works
- A Brittany Murphy Murder Mystery? Lifetime Releases Biopic Trailer
- EXCLUSIVE! Pretty Little Liars Shocker: Find Out Why [SPOILER] Needed to Die!
- The Stars of Vine Dissect the Emmys
- More From ET