The network is going to give Dockers three free commercials during the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament coming up this month. The Dockers ad ran first before another men-in-shorts commercial for CareerBuilder, so they're the ones that will get the free spots.
This is rather odd, and I wonder if it will set an unwanted precedent when it comes to what advertisers can expect/want. So what if the ads were similar in content? It's not like Dockers and CareerBuilder are Coke and Pepsi and they ran ads next to each other. Maybe CBS should give viewers something for free for having to endure the commercials. I'd like a 'Late Show' mug.
This year I'm picking the seven worst ads, while Kona is handling the seven best. Two rules for my worst: no movie ads (they're in a category all by themselves and shouldn't be judged with the other ads), and I tried not to pick any commercials that aired before today.
One of the many problems facing broadcasters as we move into the future is the proliferation of DVRs and their fantastic ability to allow people to blow right through all of those bill paying commercials. In the continuing effort to thwart quick fingered viewers, networks are turning to live commercials.
The idea being that the live commercial offers something different enough that it will be worth your time, while your 300th viewing of Cisco welcoming you to the human network no longer even registers. The New York Times has a good article on how this latest incarnation of what is a very old idea is being implemented. They talk about spots that Kimmel and Leno have done and also give a peak at Spike's plans for a live three-minute game show that would run during commercial breaks.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- ?The Voice? Season 8: Top 20 Performance Rankings from the Knockout Rounds
- 'Hell's Kitchen' Prediction: Who Will Go Home in Week 5?
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.20 Photos: Tony and Zoe Partner Up for a Case
- 'Better Call Saul' Recap: Chuck's True Colors Are Revealed
- 'Castle' Recap: A Talent Show for the Ages
- More From BuddyTV
- New Girl Renewed for Season 5 at Fox as John Cho Joins Guest Cast
- Sutton Foster Talks Playing Younger, Bunheads''Devastating' Final Bow
- Ratings: DWTS and Castle Tick Up; Scorpion, The Voice, Night Shift Slip
- Cougar Town: Your Fave Songs From All 6 Seasons With the Cul-de-Sac Crew
- Henry Simmons Talks S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Captain America 2 Flashbacks, Mack vs. Coulson and Lucy Lawless' Encore
- More From TVLine
- Russell Crowe Says Michael Jackson Pranked Called Him for Years
- Julianne Moore Dropped from Turkish Tourism Ad for 'Poor Acting'?!
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch The Veronicas Perform 'You Ruin Me' at Live in the Vineyard
- Olivia Wilde on Her Perfect Post-Baby Body: 'I'm Softer Than I've Ever Been'
- EXCLUSIVE! 'Vikings': Ragnar and Floki Aren't on the Same Page After Dramatic Death
- More From ET