Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry will join the ranks of the Television Academy's Hall of Fame next year at a special induction ceremony at the Beverly Hills Hotel.
Other inductees include Candice Bergen, production and art director Charles Lisanby, announcer Don Pardo, Tom and Dick Smothers and game show producer Bob Stewart. Is there anyone that they left off the list?
Announcer Don Pardo, 91, announced in his induction speech to the Rhode Island Radio Hall of Fame that last Saturday's show will be his last.
Pardo has been the voice of the show since it hit the airwaves in 1975, minus the 7th season in '81 and '82. He has also been an announcer in a number of game shows, movies, commercials and news shows, and holds the distinction of being the first person on television to announce the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
No, no, not to me. For me, the only choice for numero uno is Jeopardy. It's not a game of chance or luck or random spins of a wheel. It's all about brains and thinking on your feet. And maybe having really fast thumbs. Merv Grifffin's creation remains the best gameshow ever in my book.
As I was thinking about Jeopardy, I realized that for me, the best Jeopardy is not today's Alex Trebek version. I mean, it's great -- don't misunderstand me. It's the one I still prefer to watch today, but my favorite Jeopardy remains the pre-syndication edition, the one that played on NBC daytime from 1964-1975. No, I'm not nuts. I have five very good reasons why I prefer the original, classic Jeopardy.
Okay, kids, for this addition of "The Five" we're going to talk about those voices we love so much. I'm going to focus entirely on television announcers, but I'm expanding the topic to include anyone whose job in television is (or was) centered around their vocal cords. That's why you won't see Mel Blanc or Daws Butler on my list, though they most certainly would have been on it otherwise. Everyone on board? Okay, let's do it:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 17' Week 10 Photo Booth Gallery
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 12: Top 6 Performance Rankings
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 22 Episode 5 Photos: No Filter
- [Video] 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles Sings 'Simple Man' at VanCon
- 'Big Brother 17': Why Is No One Targeting Austin and the Twins?
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Madam Secretary Gets a Bro, DWTS Pro Injured and More
- Ratings: Whispers Ends With 4-Week High, SYTYCD Ties Series Low
- Grey's, Scandal and HTGAWM Casts Wine and Shine in New TGIT Promo
- Penny Dreadful Season 3: Patti LuPone Returns (But There's a Huge Twist)
- Scandal's Huck and Quinn Torture The Muppets' Gonzo — And He Likes It
- More From TVLine
- Snooki on Jionni's Ashley Madison Scandal: 'I'm Lucky If He Knows How to Even Use a Computer'
- 'James Bond' Author Says Idris Elba Is 'Too Street' to Play 007 (But We Disagree)
- See Eddie Redmayne as a Transgender Woman in Trailer for 'The Danish Girl'
- These New 'American Horror Story: Hotel' Teasers Are Ryan Murphy's Worst Nightmares!
- EXCLUSIVE: Melissa Rivers Reveals Where She Scattered Her Mother Joan Rivers' Ashes
- More From ET