Louis C.K. Offers His Bleak, Deep View on Life to Talk an Old Friend Out of Suicide on 'Louie' (VIDEO)
The shows continued to play with dark themes last night, as Louis reunited with an old comedy buddy named Eddie, played by Doug Stanhope. The two had come up together in their early stand-up days in New York, but grew apart as Louis found success and Eddie fell further into drinking and got stuck performing at hole-in-wall clubs.
They hadn't spoken for years when Eddie calls Louis, asks him to meet up, and takes him on a tour of his current station in life, before very matter-of-factly telling him that he's thinking about committing suicide with some pills his Doctor gave him. It's in this twisted scenario that 'Louie' delivers one of its realest-feeling moments yet, as Louis refuses to talk his friend off the ledge in a conventional way, instead offering him his own at once bleak and oddly profound theory on life.
Comedian Doug Stanhope, who took over the reigns of The Man Show in 2003 along with Fear Factor host Joe Rogan and promptly steered the show off its ribald but tongue-in-cheek path into a much darker and subversive realm from which it was never seen again, is a comedian who is not for everybody. I actually had a chance to speak with Stanhope soon after he and Rogan took over the show, and his attitude was that the show was just something to do and not something he or Rogan took seriously. It's no surprise that the show went off the air not long after he and Rogan took over.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Discovery Channel Cancels Live Mount Everest Jump Special In Wake of Avalanche Tragedy
- Once Upon a Time Stars, Creators Tease a Huge Decision, Big Reveals and… Dorothy's Intro?
- Memories from the Set: Eric Mabius Talks Past Gigs on The O.C., CSI: Miami, Ugly Betty & More
- Quotes of the Week: Best Zingers From New Girl, Good Wife, Thrones, Vampire Diaries and More
- Orphan Black Season 2 Premiere Recap: Fishy Business — Plus: Grade the Episode!
- More From TVLine