This year is the 30th anniversary of Douglas Adams' classic TV, radio and book series, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. As part of the celebration, BBC2 TV sent Stephen Fry and zoologist Mark Carwardine off to visit the endangered species Adams searched for in another of his books, Last Chance to See.
Adams documented his growing passion for preserving fading species in the book. And BBC2 sent Fry and Carwardine out into the world to document how those species (like the Kakapo) were fairing.
You'll be able to discover the results when the show crosses the Atlantic in the coming weeks after its U.K. run. But, for now, the TV series spawned one of the web's hottest viral videos.
Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was first published 30 years ago today. The wildly imaginative and funny science-fiction novel spawned four more books, a radio series, a text based video game and a cult classic British mini-series. It also spawned a big budget Hollywood remake that shall not been mentioned again in this post, so there.
In honor of this momentous day for sci-fi humor geekdom, here is the iconic opening of the original BBC mini-series originally aired in 1981. Pour yourself a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster and enjoy.
When I was in junior high, I picked up a copy of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams. I had never heard of Adams, and I didn't know that The Restaurant at the End of the Universe was actually the second book in a series (the first, of course, being The Hitchhikker's Guide to the Galaxy).
As I tended to do a lot back then, I read part of the book and then never finished it. It wouldn't be until several years later (and by that I mean "after I graduated college") that I would finally sit down and read the entire series.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time': 16 Moments of Good, Evil and Shock in 'New York City Serenade'
- 'Revenge' Season 3 Episode Photos
- 'The Following' Exclusive Interview: Shawn Ashmore on Mike's Family Tragedy and Personal Downfall
- 6 Things to Know About 'Believe'
- 'Star-Crossed': Jesse Luken on Eric's Evolution and Friendship with Grayson
- More From BuddyTV
- TNT announces 'Falling Skies' Season 4, new series 'The Last Ship,''Legends' summer premiere dates
- 'Downton Abbey' cast hopes for Season 5: A 'bromance' for Thomas and more
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti calls fan theories 'crazy,' but are they wrong?
- 'About a Boy' exclusive clip: Will and Marcus have a boys' night out
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Love comes to Norma, Norman, Dylan and Emma
- More From Zap2it
- TVLine Items: Drop Dead Diva's Season 6 Trailer, Veep Sneak Peek, Entourage Reunites and More
- TNT Sets Premieres for Falling Skies Season 4, Eric Dane's Last Ship and Sean Bean's Legends
- HIMYM Star Addresses the 'Insane' Theory Making Rounds — But Does She Refute It?
- Scoop: Josh Duhamel Cast as Co-Lead in CBS' Vince Gilligan-David Shore Drama Battle Creek
- Exclusive Psych Sneak Peek: Mira Sorvino Puts Shawn and Gus in Their Place
- More From TVLine