I think the Dutch have us beat when it comes to crazy ideas for reality shows. A couple years ago, they produced a one-off reality series about a woman who wanted some sperm and nothing more, and now they've come up with Big Donor Show, which features a dying woman who will pick one contestant to receive her kidney.
All ethical issues aside, some questions remain, such as whether or not Lisa's (the donor) organs can be transplanted at all, given that she has cancer (specifically: a brain tumor). Also, the donation would probably have to be made before she died, because once she's dead, her wish to have any organ donated to a specific person is no longer valid.
Mankind has come up with a lot of ways to shorten life: there's war, murder, parachute packs filled with kitchen utensils rather than a parachute, etc. However, prolonging our life span is still somewhat of a mystery, though there are new ideas always being put to the test.
On April 14 at 8:00 p.m., CNN: Special Investigations Unit: Chasing Life will look into these methods, including calorie-restriction diets, stem cell treatments, dietary supplements, and human growth hormones. The special will examine the benefits, drawbacks and controversy surrounding these different approaches. The special will be hosted by Dr. Sanjay Gupta, and is based on his book, also called Chasing Life.
(S06E22) This episode kicks off, as so many do, with an episode of the Krusty the Clown Show. It seems Krusty got into some hot water with a sexual harassment lawsuit, so his special guest that day is a woman named Officer No Means No. Meanwhile, Bart enjoys his breakfast of Krusty-Os, which contain a special prize inside: one jagged metal Krusty-O.
Bart swallows the jagged O unknowingly, and begins to feel the effects while in class. He begs Ms. Krabappel to let him see the nurse, but she thinks he's faking. Bart tries to persuade her by insisting that if he dies, she'll get in trouble, but according to the school charter, "No teacher shall be held accountable if Bart Simpson dies." Bart is forced to finish his test, and finally Ms. Krabappel let's him see the nurse, who also happens to be Lunch Lady Doris due to budget cuts.
As I've said before, I'm not a big fan of award shows, but I did tune into the Emmys very briefly last night, if only to follow along with Bob's live blogging of the event. However, since he's in Boston and I'm in Minneapolis everything he was writing about hadn't actually happened yet. I felt like Reverse Nostrodamus. The one segment I did manage to catch was the one they have in all these award shows where they honor people who have died over the last year. I think it's fine that they honor people, but what always bothers me is that not everyone who flashes onto the screen gets applause from the audience. Bob alluded to this a little bit, noting that some of the lesser known producers get only a smattering of applause, but to me it seems like such an insult. Yes, even in death you're unpopular. I don't just clap for any dead person, you know. You would think after all these years the vapid, overpaid space-fillers who make up the audience at these shows would realize that you should just applaud everyone out of common decency.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Recap: Devotion and Desperation Lead to Big Moves and Confrontations
- 'The Messengers' Recap: Dealing with Pestilence
- 'Wayward Pines' Interview: M. Night Shyamalan on Shocking Death and Darker Turn
- 'Bachelorette' Star Kaitlyn Bristowe on Pre-Fantasy Suite Sex: 'I Don't Know Why Everyone is So Shocked'
- 'The Bachelor' Season 11 Week 2 Photos: Punchlines and Punches
- More From BuddyTV
- Anne Meara, Actress/Comedian and Half of Stiller & Meara, Dead at 85
- Quotes of the Week From The Flash, Late Show, Game of Thrones and More
- Sharon Osbourne on Hiatus from CBS' The Talk Due to 'Extreme Exhaustion'
- Orphan Black Boss Talks [Spoiler]'s Sacrifice, Angry Felix, Twerking Alison
- Saturday Night Live: Watch Season 40's 15 Best Sketches Now!
- More From TVLine
- Josh Duggar May Be Dropped From '19 Kids and Counting', Cancels Speaking Event
- Star Sightings May 2015
- Happy Anniversary, Kimye! Take a Look Back at Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's First Year of Marriage
- Kim Kardashian & Kris Humphries' Failed Wedding Birthed A New California Law
- Celebs React to Ireland's Historic Same-Sex Marriage Vote
- More From ET