According to the Live Feed, OWN (aka the Oprah Winfrey Network) will launch 'Inside Rehab,' an eight-episode series documenting patients inside an eating disorder treatment facility. No word yet on a premiere date.
'Inside Rehab' is just one of many shows set to join OWN, which officially launches on Jan. 1. Among the highlights: 'Behind the Scenes: The Oprah Show Final Season,' 'Breaking Down the Bars,' 'Enough Already,' 'In the Bedroom With Dr. Laura Berman' and 'Inside With Lisa Ling.'
As Inside TV previously reported, BFF Gayle King will also bring her radio show, 'Gayle King Live!', to the small screen, while Grammy-winning superstar (and recent 'American Idol' mentor) Shania Twain will star in the reality series 'Why Not? With Shania Twain.'
Tomorrow evening at 9 pm HBO will air Thin, a documentary directed by famous still photographer Lauren Greenfield that looks at the lives of four women trying to overcome eating disorders at the Renfrew Center in Florida, where she previously shot photographs. Greenfield has written about anorexia nervosa and other eating disorders before, once for a 1997 piece for Time. This is her first time directing.
Greenfield stayed at the center for six months in order to obtain access to the patients, their families, and the staff. The documentary will examine not only the women who have improved with the help of the center, but also those who did not, and one who was unable to continue when it was found out her insurance would not pay for her treatment. You can see a trailer for the documentary here.
I'd love to see more documentaries like this to balance out the onslaught of media images that make pencil-thin appear to be the norm, when anyone with optic nerves knows that's not the case. Not to say that overweight men aren't also stigmatized, but it's especially true for younger women and girls.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- American Idol: Top 6 Week Theme Revealed!
- American Idol Top 7 Performance Recap: Filler Queen [Updated]
- Arrow's Truths Come Out — Were You Surprised?
- S.H.I.E.L.D. First Look: Cobie Smulders' Agent Hill Finds an Ally, Amy Acker Guest-Stars
- Exclusive Community Season Finale Sneak Peek: Are Jeff and Britta Finally Saying 'I Do'?
- More From TVLine
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Abusing Teen Boy
- 'Real Housewives Of Atlanta' Star Porsha Williams Charged With Battery
- Real-Life 'Heaven Is For Real' Boy Details Near-Death Experience
- Will Arnett Files For Divorce From Amy Poehler
- FIRST LOOK: ET's 'Dream It … Do It' Helps Stars Take On Their Bucket Lists
- More From ET