Fan Expo 2011 Day 1 & 2: Kevin Sorbo as Superman, Elvira Tampons, and Vincent Price Turns 100 (Sorta)
Your favorite cult TV and film stars of the sci-fi, horror, fantasy and superhero genres come up to Toronto every year, and 2011 is a doozy already. Guests in past years have included Alice Cooper, William Shatner, Patrick Stewart and Elijah Wood, so if you're a fanboy or fangirl, you just have to be here.
Couldn't score a ticket? Don't worry, AOL TV has you covered with a play-by-play of the very best happenings each day throughout the weekend.
More comics, more anime and more sci-fi -- what more could a genre geek ask for? Last year's wraparound lineups and record-setting crowds finally persuaded the people behind Toronto's annual genre convention -- Fan Expo --to add an extra day. It now starts on Thursday instead of Friday, and runs from August 25 to 28.
Good thing too, since there are more high-profile guests and "one time only" events than there have ever been. Whether you're a fan of comics, sci-fi, horror, anime, gaming or all of the above, there is bound to be something for everyone.
Comic fans are in for some big announcements from Marvel and DC, and horror fans will get an exclusive screening of 'Near Dark,' the cult horror film from Best Director Oscar winner Kathryn Bigelow. Plus, William Shatner returns to the big screen with documentary 'The Captains,' which features interviews with everyone who has ever piloted the Starship Enterprise.
This is just a taste of what's to come at this year's Fan Expo. For the true highlights of this year's convention, hit the jump.
Yup, that's right, an open casket call, for FOX's new reality show, The Search For The Next Elvira.
It's happening this Friday (Friday the 13th, natch) at 4pm on The Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. But if you can't make it there, you can download an application from the show's web site. They're looking for a new horror hostess to take the reigns from the classic horror movie icon.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Though it's still not confirmed, the chances of Whoopie Goldberg being Rosie's replacement on The View are looking better and better.
- Are people getting sick of everything to do with American Idol? Kelly Clarkson canceled her summer tour due to poor ticket sales.
- I had no idea there was a serious need for a backup Elvira.
The idea behind this series is that the real Elvira (Cassandra Peterson) is searching for a double-- someone who can make public appearances and represent her. She's still in pretty high demand, with her manager claiming that she gets requests for "hundreds" of public appearances each year. Good for her, I say, for successfully sustaining the same character since the 1980s.
All Elvira wanna-bes can audition for the show on July 13th at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California.
This could actually be great. Can you imagine the people showing up for auditions? People dressed like Elvira and Dracula and Frankenstein and superheroes and zombies. People who scare you, and you're not quite sure what they'll do. Actually, it sounds a lot like the American Idol auditions.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Constantine' Recap: John and Papa Midnite Join Forces
- 'America's Next Top Model' Recap: Which Guy's Got Moves Like Elvis?
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: Which Team is Targeted By the Other Racers?
- Best ?Bones? Quotes from 'The Puzzler in the Pit'
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 17 Shocking Moments from 'Fade Into You'
- More From BuddyTV
- Jane the Virgin Preview: Michael's Heartache, Petra the Kidnapper & More
- Cameron Diaz Hosts SNL: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches
- Report: X Factor May Return to Fox
- Ratings: Constantine and Shark Tank Rise, H50 Hits Season Highs
- HTGAWM Post Mortem: EP Talks 'Murder Night' Aftermath — 'You Should Be Worried About Everyone'
- More From TVLine