If you've missed any (or all) of this outstanding series, this is your chance to catch up.
With '30 For 30', ESPN pledged to present 30 films with a unique perspective on sports. The series has brought major filmmakers to ESPN airwaves (including Oscar nominee John Singleton, and Oscar winners Barbara Kopple and Barry Levinson).
The contributors also include former and current athletes. 'Bull Durham" writer/director Ron Shelton -- whose 'Jordan Rides the Bus' (about Michael Jordan's time in baseball's minors) is a '30 for 30' highlight -- once played minor league baseball himself. Phoenix Suns superstar Steve Nash, with filmmaker Ezra Holland, presents 'Into the Wind', about cancer activist Terry Fox, who transfixed North America in 1980 with an attempted run across Canada.
Guys are supposed to like sports and booze, and I've never been that fond of either. I understand the allure of both, but I've never been one to gleefully take part in anything so organized as a sport. And a tall, frothy Budweiser, while considered ambrosia to many, is turned into something that tastes like licking the inside of an 11th grader's backpack when it hits my tongue. I just wasn't designed for that sort of thing, but ESPN Classic did have one show I enjoyed, and that was Cheap Seats, hosted by comedian twin brothers Jason and Randy Sklar.
Alas, the show's fourth (and last) season comes to and end tomorrow with the final episode airing at 4:30 pm as part of a marathon that will air from 10 am to 5 pm. The premise of the series is that Randy and Jason watch old clips of ESPN coverage of sporting events that are hardly sports at all, such as spelling bees, poker games, frog jumping contests and other assorted nonsense. The brothers provide an MST3k-like commentary for the footage, as well as comedic bits thrown in here and there for good measure. I'm not saying it was the greatest show in the world, but if it got an artsy band nerd like myself to actually watch an ESPN channel, that has to mean something.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Season 13: Top 6 Performance Rankings
- 'Black Box': Meet the Cast and Premiere Photos
- 'The Blacklist' Episode 20 Photos: Being Framed for Murder
- Best 'Agents of SHIELD' Quotes from 'The Only Light in the Darkness'
- 'Arrow' Recap: Roy Rage and Mirakuru Madness Reach the Point of No Return
- More From BuddyTV
- Nashville: On the Record Recap: We'll Do It Live!
- American Idol Top 6 Performance Recap: Wanna Ya-ah-ah-ah-ah… Yahoo It! [Updated]
- CBS' Thursday Night Football Dates Set: When This Fall Might Big Bang Reclaim Its Time Slot?
- Arrow Recap: A Mother Of a Twist (Times Three)
- Sirens Sneak Peek: Will Johnny and Hank Allow Brian Into 'The Neutral Zone'?
- More From TVLine