If you've missed any (or all) of this outstanding series, this is your chance to catch up.
With '30 For 30', ESPN pledged to present 30 films with a unique perspective on sports. The series has brought major filmmakers to ESPN airwaves (including Oscar nominee John Singleton, and Oscar winners Barbara Kopple and Barry Levinson).
The contributors also include former and current athletes. 'Bull Durham" writer/director Ron Shelton -- whose 'Jordan Rides the Bus' (about Michael Jordan's time in baseball's minors) is a '30 for 30' highlight -- once played minor league baseball himself. Phoenix Suns superstar Steve Nash, with filmmaker Ezra Holland, presents 'Into the Wind', about cancer activist Terry Fox, who transfixed North America in 1980 with an attempted run across Canada.
Guys are supposed to like sports and booze, and I've never been that fond of either. I understand the allure of both, but I've never been one to gleefully take part in anything so organized as a sport. And a tall, frothy Budweiser, while considered ambrosia to many, is turned into something that tastes like licking the inside of an 11th grader's backpack when it hits my tongue. I just wasn't designed for that sort of thing, but ESPN Classic did have one show I enjoyed, and that was Cheap Seats, hosted by comedian twin brothers Jason and Randy Sklar.
Alas, the show's fourth (and last) season comes to and end tomorrow with the final episode airing at 4:30 pm as part of a marathon that will air from 10 am to 5 pm. The premise of the series is that Randy and Jason watch old clips of ESPN coverage of sporting events that are hardly sports at all, such as spelling bees, poker games, frog jumping contests and other assorted nonsense. The brothers provide an MST3k-like commentary for the footage, as well as comedic bits thrown in here and there for good measure. I'm not saying it was the greatest show in the world, but if it got an artsy band nerd like myself to actually watch an ESPN channel, that has to mean something.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Constantine' Recap: John and Papa Midnite Join Forces
- 'America's Next Top Model' Recap: Which Guy's Got Moves Like Elvis?
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: Which Team is Targeted By the Other Racers?
- Best ?Bones? Quotes from 'The Puzzler in the Pit'
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 17 Shocking Moments from 'Fade Into You'
- More From BuddyTV
- Hell on Wheels Sneak Peek: Cullen Plots His Escape in Season Finale
- Homeland Enlists Broadway Vet Victoria Clark to Play Key Character
- Marry Me Promotes Dan Bucatinsky
- Tina Fey's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Series Moves From NBC to Netflix
- MTV's Eye Candy: Victoria Justice's Stalker Speaks in First Official Teaser
- More From TVLine
- Beyonce Shocks the World Yet Again with Bootylicious New Music Video
- Janice Dickinson 'Disgusted' Over Bill Cosby's Standing Ovation Following Assault Allegations
- Janice Dickinson Op-Ed: 'The Only Way To Stop This Is To Be Really Vocal'
- FIRST LOOK: Meryl Streep Goes ‘Into the Woods' With Stephen Sondheim
- Adorable Toddler Invites Miranda Lambert to His Birthday —If He Could Only Say Her Name
- More From ET