If you've missed any (or all) of this outstanding series, this is your chance to catch up.
With '30 For 30', ESPN pledged to present 30 films with a unique perspective on sports. The series has brought major filmmakers to ESPN airwaves (including Oscar nominee John Singleton, and Oscar winners Barbara Kopple and Barry Levinson).
The contributors also include former and current athletes. 'Bull Durham" writer/director Ron Shelton -- whose 'Jordan Rides the Bus' (about Michael Jordan's time in baseball's minors) is a '30 for 30' highlight -- once played minor league baseball himself. Phoenix Suns superstar Steve Nash, with filmmaker Ezra Holland, presents 'Into the Wind', about cancer activist Terry Fox, who transfixed North America in 1980 with an attempted run across Canada.
Guys are supposed to like sports and booze, and I've never been that fond of either. I understand the allure of both, but I've never been one to gleefully take part in anything so organized as a sport. And a tall, frothy Budweiser, while considered ambrosia to many, is turned into something that tastes like licking the inside of an 11th grader's backpack when it hits my tongue. I just wasn't designed for that sort of thing, but ESPN Classic did have one show I enjoyed, and that was Cheap Seats, hosted by comedian twin brothers Jason and Randy Sklar.
Alas, the show's fourth (and last) season comes to and end tomorrow with the final episode airing at 4:30 pm as part of a marathon that will air from 10 am to 5 pm. The premise of the series is that Randy and Jason watch old clips of ESPN coverage of sporting events that are hardly sports at all, such as spelling bees, poker games, frog jumping contests and other assorted nonsense. The brothers provide an MST3k-like commentary for the footage, as well as comedic bits thrown in here and there for good measure. I'm not saying it was the greatest show in the world, but if it got an artsy band nerd like myself to actually watch an ESPN channel, that has to mean something.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Meet the Top 13 of 'Rising Star'
- [Video] 'The Bachelorette' Season 10 Finale Preview: Josh Versus Nick
- 'Sharknado 2' Interview: Why the Sequel Will 'Surpass Expectations'
- 'Kardashians' Roundup: Kim and Kanye's Marriage Trouble Rumors
- 'The Strain' Recap: Nightmare Symptoms and Bad Parenting
- More From BuddyTV
- Extant Gets Later Wednesday Time Slot
- Covert Affairs Sneak Peek: Is Auggie OK With Annie Revisiting a 'Fling'?
- Lea Michele Cast as Sons of Anarchy Waitress Who Connects With [Spoiler]
- Emmys 2014: What Should Win Best Drama Series? Take Our Poll!
- USA Picks Up Alien Invasion Pilot from Lost's Carlton Cuse, Ryan Condal
- More From TVLine