If you've missed any (or all) of this outstanding series, this is your chance to catch up.
With '30 For 30', ESPN pledged to present 30 films with a unique perspective on sports. The series has brought major filmmakers to ESPN airwaves (including Oscar nominee John Singleton, and Oscar winners Barbara Kopple and Barry Levinson).
The contributors also include former and current athletes. 'Bull Durham" writer/director Ron Shelton -- whose 'Jordan Rides the Bus' (about Michael Jordan's time in baseball's minors) is a '30 for 30' highlight -- once played minor league baseball himself. Phoenix Suns superstar Steve Nash, with filmmaker Ezra Holland, presents 'Into the Wind', about cancer activist Terry Fox, who transfixed North America in 1980 with an attempted run across Canada.
Guys are supposed to like sports and booze, and I've never been that fond of either. I understand the allure of both, but I've never been one to gleefully take part in anything so organized as a sport. And a tall, frothy Budweiser, while considered ambrosia to many, is turned into something that tastes like licking the inside of an 11th grader's backpack when it hits my tongue. I just wasn't designed for that sort of thing, but ESPN Classic did have one show I enjoyed, and that was Cheap Seats, hosted by comedian twin brothers Jason and Randy Sklar.
Alas, the show's fourth (and last) season comes to and end tomorrow with the final episode airing at 4:30 pm as part of a marathon that will air from 10 am to 5 pm. The premise of the series is that Randy and Jason watch old clips of ESPN coverage of sporting events that are hardly sports at all, such as spelling bees, poker games, frog jumping contests and other assorted nonsense. The brothers provide an MST3k-like commentary for the footage, as well as comedic bits thrown in here and there for good measure. I'm not saying it was the greatest show in the world, but if it got an artsy band nerd like myself to actually watch an ESPN channel, that has to mean something.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Meet the Contestants of 'Hell's Kitchen' Season 13
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 11: Top 6 Performance Rankings
- Julianne Hough Returns to 'Dancing with the Stars' as Fourth Judge
- 'Suits' Interview: Rick Hoffman Wishes 'the People of Pearson Specter Good Luck Dealing With Louis'
- The Best Zings from 'Big Brother 16'
- More From BuddyTV
- Reckless Sneak Peek: Will Jamie Give Love a Second Chance?
- Ratings: SYTYCD and Talent Slip to New Lows, Extant Steady, Motive Rises
- Grey's Boss Shonda Rhimes Drops Bombshell: 'I'm Not Going to Say Derek and Meredith Are Never Breaking Up'
- Nashville's Rayna and Juliette Face the Future in New Season 3 Poster
- Julianne Hough Returning to DWTS… As a Fourth Judge — Yea or Nay?
- More From TVLine
- Chris Pratt Dresses Up as 'GOTG' Character for Children's Hospital Patients
- MTV VMAs 101: Everything You Need to Know About Sunday's Show
- EXCLUSIVE: The 'Revenge' Cast is Tipsy in These Hilarious Season 3 Bloopers!
- Tina Knowles Comments on Beyonce and Jay Z Split Rumors
- Lauryn Hill Dedicates 'Black Rage (Sketch)' to Ferguson
- More From ET