Now that we've all had a chance to take in and digest the saga of Dr. Horrible, one of the big questions is "Did it work?" It certainly seemed to work for the viewers. In our poll, an astounding 74.2% of you gave it 5 out of 5. Another 22.5% went with 4 out of 5. The bigger question though, is did it work out for everybody on the money end? And I ask that rather selfishly. Sure, I'd like to see Whedon, Fillion, Harris, Day, and the whole crew make a few bucks. But really, I'm more concerned with getting to see more of the story. If the numbers worked out for all involved, the chances of that happening increase greatly.
Jeffrey McManus has made some educated guesses at just how the numbers shake out for those involved. The short version of McManus' analysis: At a million iTunes downloads he has the principle actors bringing in something in the neighborhood of $100,000 with Whedon coming in at around
$4 million $2.6 million. I'm not sure how feasible one million iTunes downloads on iTunes is, but I do know that at the moment Dr. Horrible counts for 3 of the top 4 episodes and the top season on the U.S. lists. Add in the international markets and it's certainly not an outlandish goal.
If you are like me, you stayed up late Friday night just to catch Act 3 of Doctor Horrible, even though you needed to be up at 5AM to watch F1 in Germany. Chances are that there are more of you that stayed up late and couldn't give two shakes about a car race at Hockenheim, but either way, we've come to the end of Joss Whedon's great experiment. It seemed like a good idea to get a post up and see what everybody thought. A lot of it was what I expected based simply on the players involved. It stood to reason that there would be some good yucks, a bit of a twist, and since this is Joss Whedon, even...
The wait is over. Joss Whedon's new project, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, made it's debut overnight with "Act One" going live on the internet. Acts Two and Three will follow on this Thursday and Saturday.
Unfortunately, the premiere was not without its issues. Almost as soon as the video became available, the familiar complaints of U.S. only video started rolling in. To their credit, team Dr. Horrible quickly updated their twitter account to let everyone know they were working on international viewing.
Assuming the geography issues get ironed out, it was a great start to the series. Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother) is very funny as Dr. Horrible and Nathan Fillion's Captain Hammer is the perfect foil. As good as Harris is, Fillion steals his thunder a little bit when he makes his grand entrance. Felicia Day is also terrific as Penny, and the three of them all do a nice job with what are very entertaining songs.
This is a slam dunk for anyone that counts themselves a Whedon fan. For those of you that are not among his legions, it's still worth a look. It's a little bit crazy, but the fun kind of crazy. The episodes are also available from iTunes.
Technically it is Buffy/Angel week, but all things Whedon have a way of just melding together into one big stew. So it's a fortuitous bit of timing that a trailer for Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog was released this week. For those still unaware of just what Dr. Horrible is, I think it was summed up best by Nathan Fillion in a recent interview. It's about a super-villain (Neil Patrick Harris) who falls in love with a girl (Felicia Day), and the super-hero (Nathan Fillion) who blows it for him. The super-hero is kind of a dick. And... it's a musical. I think it could be very much more than that. More on that, and the new trailer, after the jump.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 12: Top 18 Performance Rankings
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: Jason Gets Blindsided
- The Final Rose: Kaitlyn and Shawn's Fairytale Journey on 'The Bachelorette'
- Best 'Pretty Little Liars' Quotes from 'FrAmed'
- Casting Bits: Familiar Faces on 'Fuller House', Chris Browning Joins 'Supergirl' and More
- More From BuddyTV
- Anthony Geary to General Hospital Fans: JK About That Retirement!
- Mindy Project Season 4 Twist: Mindy to Wed Big Bang Theory's Raj?!
- The CW Eyeing Dark Little Women Adaptation From NCIS Star
- Degrassi's Top 17 Couples, Ranked: Eclare vs. Fimogen and More
- TVLine Items: Supergirl Villain Cast, Finding Carter Return Date and More
- More From TVLine
- Rosie O'Donnell Draws From Her Real Life in 'The Fosters' Return
- Rashida Jones Reveals She Asked Robin Thicke to Prom, Then Dumped Him for Another Musician
- Teresa Giudice Files Malpractice Suit, Blames Lawyer for Her Incarceration
- Raven-Symone Says She Was Fat-Shamed as a 7-Year-Old
- Stars Share Pics of Their Cute Kids
- More From ET