As the theme song said, "A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse, of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister Ed!"
Yes, Ed was in his hay-day on TV for six glorious seasons, always easily bribed to tell a good story with a little peanut butter, making him a horse we can endorse. But he also gets the sniff of approval from his fellow four-legged friends in Hollywood.
As the 50th anniversary of 'Mister Ed''s big Oct. 1, 1961, network debut approaches, we gathered quotes from some of the biggest names in TV's animal kingdom to roast and pay tribute to the equine entertainer.
Check out our gallery for commentary provided by everyone from Flipper and Lassie to weed-smoking Wilfred and Annie's Boobs, the monkey from 'Community.'
The tragedy occurred when a dolphin intentionally held its breath until it died, expiring while Ric held the creature in his arms. This made Ric realize that it was cruel for humans to use the animals for their own purposes. Since that time, he has crusaded on the part of dolphins. O'Barry has spent over forty years trying to free dolphins from captivity, and also trying to end the practice of killing the animals in the wild.
In fact, Jeff Lewis was extremely friendly and funny. We had a great talk and he couldn't have been nicer. He was also really forthcoming about the past seasons of Flipping Out, including this one that's concluding tonight.
What has it been like to be turned into a reality TV star?
Because of the reaction of the show, some people see me as a villain and that could be the way I do business. I handle my employees in a rather non-traditional way. I was concerned about how people would react in public, but it's actually been pretty positive. Overall, it's been a very positive experience. Many people are very nice and complimentary and supportive.
But Flipping Out isn't really about the flipping, it's about the flipper -- Jeff Lewis. This guy Lewis is not normal. I mean it, he's not. He says he's not. He's obsessive compulsive and it comes out in everything he does. It makes him a better flipper, because of his attention to detail, but it also makes him really hard to take if you're his employee, partner or contractor. But, boy, is it fun to watch Jeff Lewis's life! That's what Flipping Out is really all about and it's back.
It's one of the eternal questions in life: what do you call your remote?
Tim Dowling over at The Guardian has a story about all of the different names that TV viewers have for that little device that saves us from having to walk across the room and has probably contributed to the onslaught of ADD we have. All of the names we've all heard are on the list, such as "clicker" (my mom used to call it that), "flipper" (which was popular with Frank on Everybody Loves Raymond), "wand," and "changer." Of course, The Guardian is a British paper so you're going to get some words that Americans really aren't familiar with, such as "tellychanger," "podger," and "hoofer-doofer." Most people I know just call it "the remote." We should come up with a different name for it. "Binky" is good, but that's already taken for pacifiers. How about "the glooptron?"
I call mine "Jessica."
[via TV Tattle]
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? - Season 3
- Columbo - Mystery Movie Collection 1989
- The Drew Carey Show - Season 1
- Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy - Season 2
- Flipper - Season 1
- Ironside - Season 1
- Kidnapped - Complete Series
- Morel Orel - Vol. 1
- NCIS - Season 3
- The Odd Couple - Season 1
- Planet Earth - The Complete Collection
- WKRP in Cincinnati - Season 1
Remember back in June when Bob told you Flipper was coming out on DVD? Well, it's a lie, A DAMN LIE!
Sorry about that -- but seriously, the TV show will not be coming out on DVD as previously thought. TVShowsonDVD reports that kaBOOM Entertainment, the company that was supposed to release the sets, has said it will not be releasing Flipper on DVD at all. No explanation has been given as to why the set was canceled. I imagine Flipper himself wasn't promised an adequate share of the money from the releases and now everything's tied up because of it. He's probably sitting in his rocking chair in the Old Dolphins Home right now watching The Price is Right and mumbling about how everyone is trying to cheat him: "I gave them the best years of my life!"
Goldberg has started a new blog, Main Title Heaven. It's a blog filled with clips of the opening titles to various TV shows, both old and new. Not just the most popular, famous ones (though he has stuff like Magnum, P.I., I Dream of Jeannie, and the original Battlestar Galactica), but also little gems you might not think of, like Banacek, Raven, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Man From Atlantis, The Magician, Seaquest, It Takes A Thief, and Mannix. He's gotta get that other version of the Flipper theme up though.
This site will suck up all of your time today and bring back a lot of memories. Hey, remember when TV shows actually had theme songs and openings?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Quantico' Episode 5 Photos: The Trainees Go Undercover for the First Time
- 'Scandal' Episode 5.4 Photos: Fixing Olivia's Image Problem
- 'ANTM' Recap: A Model Is Welcomed Back, Then Sent Packing Again
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: The Teams Become Gauchos in Argentina
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Episode 2.5 Photos: Who Can Asher Trust?
- More From BuddyTV
- X-Files @ NY Comic-Con: Chris Carter Reveals Why He Broke Up Mulder and Scully — 'They Had Difficulties'
- Ratings: Reign Returns Low But Steady
- Top TV Werewolves From Teen Wolf, True Blood, Vampire Diaries and More
- Shadowhunters @ NY Comic-Con: Premiere Date, 'Malec' Teases, Possible New Characters and More
- Last Kingdom Video: Rutger Hauer Stars in Downton EPs' New Series
- More From TVLine
- Shia LaBeouf Arrested in Texas for Public Intoxication
- Why Vin Diesel Is Serious About Stunts
- Calista Flockhart Can't Get Over the 'Supergirl' Buzz
- Gigi Hadid and Mom Yolanda Foster Adorably Hold Hands While in NYC With Joe Jonas, Bella Hadid and The Weeknd
- Watch Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson 'Hit the Quan' in Flawless Dance Video
- More From ET