April 23, 2014
game show hosts
by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 26th 2010 3:10PM
Game shows used to flood the dial of my TV back in the 1980s and '90s. And that was when my TV could only pick up eight channels, three depending on the weather.
Back then, almost everything from daytime fare to the occasional prime time bit of airtime starred game show hosts. Their purpose on television was solely to wear smart suits, make sure their teeth reached the optimum level of whiteness and keep the game moving but entertaining.
Now that game shows are making a slow but steady return to television, it seems the traditional role of "host" has turned away from the traditional "game" emcee like Chuck Woolery, Wink Martindale, Bob Barker and Art Fleming and more towards lively hosting personalities from other walks of entertainment life like Drew Carey, Wayne Brady, Howie Mandel and Guy Fieri. Does this mean that the role of the traditional TV game show has gone to that great big "Curtain No. 2" in the sky?
by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 15th 2006 7:23PM
- EW picks the 50 Best Sidekicks of All-Time. Ed McMahon is number 1, but I know people are going to think there are some choics left off this list.
- Gary Susman just doesn't understand some of the contestants on Rock Star: Supernova.
- What TV show music makes you want to tune in?
- New DVDs: The Ellen Show gets a B+, while the first season of Weeds gets the same. The Adventures of Brisco County set gets an A- (review not online).
- And the EW PopWatch blog has a few things to say about Retro Crush's list of the 30 Best Game Show Hosts of All-Time. Me too. Sorry, Gene Rayburn should probably be on the list, but not #1, and Bill Cullen should be higher than 7.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- American Idol Exclusive: Top 6 Song Spoilers!
- Did You Fall For MTV's Faking It?
- The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: Did the Right Contestants Get Cut This Week? [Updated]
- Glee Recap: 'Tonight, You Are a Star'
- NBC's Crossbones Sets Sail With First Trailer: See John Malkovich as Blackbeard
- More From TVLine
- Has Nicki Ever Been 'The Other Woman'? Lance Bass Gets the Dirt
- 5 Seconds of Summer Remember Their Big Break
- Is Tori Spelling Sharing Too Much About Husband's Cheating?
- Stephen Colbert Tells David Letterman His Plan for 'Late Show'
- Minaj on 'Housewives' Fight: 'Someone Would of Got Knocked Upside the Head'
- More From ET