Now, I intend on using every one of Carlin's "dirty words" after the jump so consider yourself warned. Be prepared to wash your computer's mouth out with soap. It may look like a saint, but it swears like sailor.
(S02E20) Up to this point, we've seen how his upbringing, home life, and troubles at school helped to shape Chris' worldview, but this is the first episode where we caught a glimpse of what made Chris want to be a comedian.
Since this series is a somewhat fictional take on Chris' life as a kid, we don't know if the real Chris Rock sneaked downstairs to eavesdrop on his parents listening to Redd Foxx albums, but one assumes young Chris was probably exposed to the legendary comedian at some point, not to mention the likes of Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy and George Carlin.
- At 8, PBS has a new NOW, followed by a new Washington Week.
- Hey, Nanny 911 is back with new episodes at 8 on FOX! Just kidding with my enthusiasm there.
- NBC has a new Dateline at 8.
- UPN has a new Smackdown! at 8.
- At 9, ABC has Fashion Rocks, with Bon Jovi, Beyonce, Christina Aguilara, The Pussycat Dolls, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, and others.
- Sci-Fi has a new Stargate SG-1 at 9, followed by a new Stargate Atlantis.
- IFC has Being John Malkovich at 9.
- At 10, HBO has George Carlin: Back in Town.
In fact, Jay Leno was the one to try to call out Coulter on her caustic remarks on the "Jersey girls", the WTC widows who forced the creation of the 9/11 commission. He asked her why she had to use such extreme language when her point -- that Democrats trot out victims to keep people from arguing or objecting to their views -- would have been more effective if spoken rationally. Coulter just gave her canned remarks about liberals and Leno backed down. But at least I give him credit for asking. Too bad Carlin just decided to sit there. He must be getting soft in his old age.
[You can see some video of Coulter's entrance here, at least for today.]
I haven't watched The Tonight Show in a while. I much prefer David Letterman to Jay Leno anyway, but I find it a greater struggle to stay up past 11:35 PM to watch late night television. However, I wanted to watch The Tonight Show last night because both George Carlin, one of my favorite comedians, and Ann Coulter, who has been gathering much attention lately for her caustic commentary on the 9/11 widows, were going to be on the show. I thought there would be some major fireworks between Carlin and Coulter and would make for terrific television. I thought wrong.
Recall that just a few days ago Coulter stated that the World Trade Center widows that pushed for the creation of the 9/11 commission were reveling in their fame, and they're enjoying their husbands' deaths. And Carlin has been spending the last ten years or so telling his comedy audiences that the government is corrupt, religions are idiotic, and that the human race is going to kill itself off (yeah, this hasn't exactly been his funniest period, though I still think he is one of the best stand-up comics ever). So let's just say that the two don't see eye-to-eye on anything. At all.
And the paneling format of The Tonight Show is a perfect environment for some explosive arguments between the two. It's too bad that Jay Leno is the host; he'll probably put a stop to things at the first airing of the word "bitch".
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Premiere Recap: Jared and Jade Become Hot Commodities
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: King James Makes a Big Move
- 'Falling Skies' Interviews: The Finale Is 'Pretty Wild' and 'It's Not an Unhappy Ending'
- [Video] 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Kicks Off with Wedding
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Won the Week 6 Power of Veto?
- More From BuddyTV
- True Detective Recap: Up in Flames
- Food Network Star Recap: No Country for Bold Ramen
- UnREAL Finale Preview: Rachel's Choice, Quinn's War, Broken-Hearted Jeremy and Season 2 Scenarios
- Stephen Colbert's Late Show Promos Wield Magic, Mitt and a 'Dreamboat'
- The 100 Season 3 Video: Cast Talks Jaha's Revenge, Lexa's Return & More
- More From TVLine
- Cara Delevingne Shows Off Pink Hair at Girlfriend's Concert in Montreal
- Eliza Dushku Got Kicked Out of Hotel Room to Make Way for One Direction
- Jericho the Lion Is Alive Despite Reports
- Miranda Lambert Enjoys a Girls Night Out with Shania Twain: 'Music is Medicine'
- Stars Share Pics of Their Cute Kids
- More From ET