It would have been nice to have a montage of past Guiding Light characters. After all, the show has been on TV since 1952, so why not take a little trip down video memory lane? It was fun to see all of the openings they've used over the decades at the start of the show (in reverse order), but it would have been good to see something at the end of the show to bookend it instead of a "The End" and then a commercial and the Tele-Next logo. Seemed kinda odd.
However, that didn't ruin the episode itself, which turned out to be everything that GL fans could have wanted and more.
The show started on TV in 1952 (from radio). Here's the 1953 opening:
Though as I said above, kind of.
Doesn't make much sense, does it? But that's pretty much what's happening these days on Guiding Light, as it heads toward its last episode ever next month. The long romance of Reva Shayne and Josh Lewis - something that has been simmering off and on for over 25 years - has pretty much been over for a while.
But I thought that, since the show was ending, they'd start wrapping up classic storylines and actually get Reva and Josh together forever, to please fans of the show. It doesn't look like that's going to happen.
In fact, the opposite seems to be in the minds of the writers.
They were going on the various rides, eating giant chicken legs, squirting each other with big water guns, and shooting colored balls at each other, all the while holding hands and getting all kissy (I swear there was even a scene of them getting their pictures taken in one of those photo booths).
What is this big promotion that the show and CBS is doing for Universal Studios?
It's probably the starting gun for other networks to get rid of their soap operas. It's a dying genre, either gone forever or scattered here and there on the TV landscape. It's really sad. Fans can mourn the death of a long-running network show, but a big part of pop culture is dying too. I watched the show since the late '70s/early '80s, and while I drifted away a few years ago, I've been watching it again, so it's going to be weird that it's not on anymore. I'll be recording that last episode and grabbing the inevitable collectible issue of Soap Opera Digest.
So what will CBS do now that they'll have another hour on the schedule Monday through Friday? A look at some of their options after the jump.
I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
If you watch Guiding Light, take note of this. The show is going to change in early 2008, according to the show's producers. Say goodbye to the ordinary camera locations and the sets. The show is going for a more cinema verite'/MTV-style show, with hand-held cameras and edgier editing. They want the show to have the look of a reality show. Or something. Ugh.
I have been watching Guiding Light for 26 years.
Now, I know that I'm a guy, but you really have to blame my mother for all this. When I was around 14 or 15, I would come home from school and want to watch television. My mom would be watching her "stories," which were All My Children, One Life To Live, and Guiding Light (it used to be on in the afternoon). She wouldn't let me watch anything, so I was stuck watching Guiding Light when I got out of school...and I became hooked. I became addicted to the show, and watched it all for years, through the Philip/Beth/Rick/Mindy saga, the devious schemes of Alan Spaulding and Roger Thorpe, that bizarre story with the infected mouse that killed a bunch of characters off, Quint and Nola, Ross and Josh turning from bad to heroes, and the more recent storylines like that whole Richard and Jeffrey island kingdom stuff and Harley and Gus and Jonathan.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Project Runway: All Stars' Season 4: Ranking the Looks of 'Always the Bridesmaid'
- [Videos] 'Glee': Klaine Gets Stuck in an Elevator
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from the Mid-Season Premiere
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 19 Moments of Love and Sacrifice from 'Prayer for the Dying'
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.12 Photos: Dean Becomes a Teenager
- More From BuddyTV
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Trailer: Danerys' Destiny, Tyrion in Exile
- Ratings: Grey's, Scandal Return Up; Parenthood Finale and Mom Hit Highs
- World's Funniest Fails Sneak Peek: Fall Under the Spell of Adorable Puppies!
- LOL Video: Jimmy Kimmel Live & Friends Take the Air Out of Deflategate
- 'Super' NBC Promos: The Voice Meets Mad Max, The Blacklist, NPH and More
- More From TVLine
- How to Fake Your Way Through a Super Bowl Party
- Steve Madden Calls Iggy Azalea's Twitter Slam a 'Lover's Quarrel'
- Rihanna Topless and '90s-Esque for 'i-D' Magazine
- Miranda Lambert Reigns Supreme With 8 ACM Awards Nominations
- Exclusive Look at the Making of the Music of Anne Hathaway's 'Song One'
- More From ET