May 4, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 22nd 2010 8:26AM
(E02) After watching this second installment of 'The Pacific,' I think I have a feeling why people who've seen further along are talking about how things pick up once we get into the next episode. With these first two parts, we spent virtually the entire time on Guadalcanal, and there was virtually no time for any sort of character connections.
After this, the 1st Marines are finally getting off the island to move onto their next campaign, which means a change of scenery, and a chance for the impact of what they've just gone through to start hitting both the marines themselves, and the audience. Just like them, we've had virtually no time to process all the horror and warfare these men endured on the island.
While last week spotlighted most of the hour on the beauty of the island, this week it was the brutality of war itself that took center stage, with almost constant gunfire from the opening credits to the closing credits.
by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 15th 2010 9:00AM
(E01) Just as Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks collaborated with HBO in 2001 to bring us the European World War II epic 'Band of Brothers,' they've joined forces again to take us to the other side of the war with 'The Pacific.' Another ten-part series, like 'Brothers,' 'Pacific' is based on true military figures and events depicted with some dramatic license, but with attempts to be as accurate as possible.
One of the first things the production team did was establish just how different the Pacific front was from the European one. The image that dominates most dramatic presentations about the fight against the Nazi forces of Germany is the military arrival on the beaches of Normandy; a veritable trip into hell.
In contrast, the 1st Marine Regiment's arrival on the beaches of Guadalcanal is a temporary reprieve from the hell of the naval warfare going on just offshore. Everything about this first episode established the atmosphere, tension, anxiety, beauty and horrors of fighting in a tropical paradise.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Episode 3.4 Photos: Sarah, Alison and Helena Run Into Trouble
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Finale Photos: Goodbye, Mystic Falls
- 'Once Upon a Time': 20 Moments Leading Up to Regina's Happy Ending in 'Mother'
- 'Once Upon a Time' Interview: Patrick Fischler Says the Finale Will Open a New Door
- 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians': Two-Hour Special to Focus on Bruce Jenner's Gender Transition
- More From BuddyTV
- The Simpsons Renewed: Fox Orders Seasons 27 and 28
- The Flash's Candice Patton Talks Iris' Epiphany ('I Was So Relieved!'), Grodd, Barry vs. Eddie, Unexpected Finale
- TVLine Items: Tyrant Season 2 Trailer, David Fincher's HBO Series and More
- Report: Sleepy Hollow's Orlando Jones Won't Return for Season 3
- Vampire Diaries Season Finale Photos Hint at Somber Exit for Elena
- More From TVLine
- 6 Met Gala Moments That You Just Need to Remember Again
- ‘Star Wars' Day: ‘Vanity Fair' Gives Fans a Glimpse of Adam Driver and Lupita Nyong'o
- Nikki Reed and Ian Somerhalder Share Sweet Honeymoon Photos
- Kylie and Kendall Jenner File to Trademark Their First Names
- Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin Say They'd Cast Britney Spears in 'Nine to Five' Today
- More From ET