September 1, 2015
by Joel Keller, posted Feb 18th 2010 5:02PM
Anyone who's listened to Ricky Gervais' podcasts or audiobooks knows that a) Karl Pilkington is an idiot and that b) Gervais and Stephen Merchant have made their fascination over Pilkington into gut-clutching comedy.
Why was the podcast so funny (and popular)? Because Pilkington just said stuff that was completely off-the-wall in such a straight-faced, matter-of-fact way, like when he talked about a time in history when "cavemen and dinosaurs were knocking about." These nonchalant statements made Gervais and Merchant -- especially Gervais -- convulse with laughter, which emphasized just how ridiculous Pilkington's statements really were.
So the challenge to Gervais and Merchant: How do you bring the twisted "genius" of Pilkington to television? Animation, of course! The result, 'The Ricky Gervais Show,' which premieres on HBO Friday at 9PM ET (you can register and watch the first full episode here), brings the podcast to life in a way that will satisfy both fans of the podcast and those who are hearing Ricky, Stephen and Karl for the first time.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Donald Trump to Make NBC Return on Tonight Show Season Premiere
- Syfy Renews Killjoys, Dark Matter for Season 2; Defiance's Future Still TBD
- Ratings: MTV's Miley Cyrus-Hosted VMAs Drop 40 Percent vs. 2014
- Playing House Sneak Peek: Watch Maggie Deliver the Ultimate Rejection
- Criminal Minds Season 11 Promo Teases 'Twisted' Premiere, New BAU Member
- More From TVLine
- White House Reacts to Kanye West's 2020 Presidential Bid
- Colin Farrell Opens Up About Being Single for the Past 5 Years, and the Crazy Way He Quit Smoking
- Zayn Malik, J.Lo, Selena Gomez and More Snap Sexy Selfies for 'Interview' Magazine
- NFL Star J.J. Watt Is 'Heartbroken' Over Jennifer Aniston's Marriage
- Benji Madden Wishes Wife Cameron Diaz a Happy Birthday: ‘I'm the Luckiest Guy Alive'
- More From ET