April 1, 2015
by Joel Keller, posted Feb 18th 2010 5:02PM
Anyone who's listened to Ricky Gervais' podcasts or audiobooks knows that a) Karl Pilkington is an idiot and that b) Gervais and Stephen Merchant have made their fascination over Pilkington into gut-clutching comedy.
Why was the podcast so funny (and popular)? Because Pilkington just said stuff that was completely off-the-wall in such a straight-faced, matter-of-fact way, like when he talked about a time in history when "cavemen and dinosaurs were knocking about." These nonchalant statements made Gervais and Merchant -- especially Gervais -- convulse with laughter, which emphasized just how ridiculous Pilkington's statements really were.
So the challenge to Gervais and Merchant: How do you bring the twisted "genius" of Pilkington to television? Animation, of course! The result, 'The Ricky Gervais Show,' which premieres on HBO Friday at 9PM ET (you can register and watch the first full episode here), brings the podcast to life in a way that will satisfy both fans of the podcast and those who are hearing Ricky, Stephen and Karl for the first time.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Predictions: Who Will Leave the Top 9?
- 'The Flash' Episode 18 Photos: Felicity and the Atom Visit Central City
- 'House of Lies' Returns for Season 5, 'The Americans' Renewed for Season 4 and More
- 'Agents of SHIELD' Recap: An Unnecessary Mutiny Occurs
- 'iZombie' Recap: Liv Literally Gets Inside a Hitman's Head
- More From BuddyTV
- Will 'Spy' Be Melissa McCarthy's Best Role Yet?
- Vin Diesel and Paul Walker's 7 Most Bromantic Moments From the 'Fast & Furious' Franchise
- Jessa Duggar Surprises Her Wedding Guests on '19 Kids and Counting'
- The Women of 'Fast and Furious': 10 Kick-Ass Ladies of the Franchise
- Legendary Singer Joni Mitchell Hospitalized
- More From ET