Stolen, a 2006 documentary by Rebecca Dreyfus and Susannah Ludwig, follows a group of men and women, most notably the late art detective Harold Smith, as they try to recover paintings stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum in Boston in 1990. Thirteen paintings were taken from the museum by thieves disguised as policemen, including Rembrandt's The Sea of Galilee and Vermeer's The Concert. None of the paintings were ever recovered.
Anyone else having this reaction to this show?
(S01E02) Dear Makers of Smith,
I just watched the second episode of your show, and while I think it's still good, I'm starting to fall out of love with it. Have you ever had that feeling?
Maybe it's not you, it's me. But I'm pretty sure it's you.
(S01E01) As I sat watching the premiere episode of Smith, I kept thinking the same thing: after Heist and Hustle and Thief, are people really going to want to watch yet another show about a gang of clever thieves who pull off elaborate robberies?
If it's based on quality, it shouldn't really be a problem. This is a good show. But we all know it's not just based on quality, there are about 9 other things that come into play when people decide to watch or not watch a TV show, and I wonder how viewers will calculate those other things in their head when deciding whether or not to watch it.
- ABC has two new episodes of Alias tonight (sorry Lost fans) at 8, followed by a new Invasion.
- CBS has a new Amazing Race at 8, followed by new episodes of Criminal Minds and CSI: NY.
- NBC has a new Celebrity Cooking Showdown, a new Heist, and a repeat Law and Order.
- Over on FOX at 8, a new ep of Bones, then another contestant is booted on American Idol. It's followed by a new Unanimous.
- The WB has new eps of One Tree Hill and The Bedford Diaries, while UPN has a new America's Next Top Model and a repeat Veronica Mars.
- TLC has a new Super Humans at 8, followed by a new Facemakers.
- Also at 8: Emeril makes bread recipes on the Food Network.
- At 9, the Sci-Fi Channel has a new Ghost Hunters, followed by two new eps of Psychic At Large.
- At 10, Bravo has a new Top Chef.
- At 10:45, IFC has Peter Dinklage in The Station Agent.
- Heist's cancellation and our thoughts on what Mark Cullen had to briefly say about it.
- Clips from Joel's Howie Mandell inteterview.
- What shows make it, and why?
- Katie Couric's move to CBS.
- Why does The Sopranos countinue to interest me?
- A few spoilers.
Grab the file directly (link), subscribe to our podcast RSS feed (link), or visit the iTunes music store (link). (Running time: 01:04:21)
Heist, the stylish NBC robbery drama, has already been axed by the network, Michael Ausiello is reporting at his site (hey, Ausiello has a site? Cool.).
Come on, this was a limited-run show anyway, why not let it play out? I caught a couple of eps, and while I was bugged by Dougray Scott's accent, I thought it was a rather fun, clever show, and I certainly wanted to see what happened next. But I guess NBC needs the hour for another episode of Deal Or No Deal.
[UPDATE: Writer/creator Mark Cullen confirms the cancellation in a comment below.]
- "Flanders?! Can't a man drink alone on a Wednesday morning?" - Homer, to Flanders, who interrupted him sleeping and drinking in a hammock, on The Simpsons.
- "Two shakes, that's enough, move along." - the FCC censor following everyone around, telling a guy at a urinal that he can't do anymore, on Family Guy.
- "This is just like Lethal Weapon. Only I actually do hate you." - Detective O'Brien, after being paired with new partner Evans, on Heist.
- "Yeah, but then who would watch my TV?" - Jim, who is told by Pam to "get a life," on The Office.
But as reporters from around the entertainment journalism landscape politely asked stars Dougray Scott and Steve Harris their questions, I started to figure out exactly what this show was going to be like. There was going to be a team of expert thieves, each with a specialty; they were going to plan a big heist that's funded by smaller heists; there was going to be a cat-and-mouse game with the cops with some romantic entanglements; finally, there was going to be goofy lines and lots of people not taking themselves too seriously.
How'd I get this off of one conference call? Two words: Oceans Eleven.
- Yet more press for Grey's Anatomy, including TV Guide's behind the scenes photos from their behind the scenes look at the show.
- Matt Roush wonders which mid-season replacement shows will become a success (just like...Grey's Anatomy!) He loves Old Christine but hates Heist.
- Amanda Bynes is a man.
- What's going to happen next on Prison Break?
- In the print edition only: meet the Real Housewives of Orange County, flip through some Sopranos photos, read a Q and A with The Unit's Dennis Haysbert, and get answers to some of your burning questions about Deal Or No Deal. Burning questions? Really?
- The Surreal Life, Sundays @ 9 pm on VH1 (premieres March 19)
- Season six stars Sherman Hemsley (The
Jeffersons), Steve Harwell (Smashmouth), C.C. DeVille (Poison), Tawny Kitaen, Alexis Arquette (David's
cross-dressing brother), Andrea Lowell (Playboy), Florence Henderson (The Brady Bunch), and a mystery
- Deal or No Deal, nightly at 8 pm from Monday, February 27 to Friday, March 3
- The Apprentice, Mondays at
9 pm, starting February 27
- Conviction, Fridays at 10 pm, starting March 3
- Las Vegas, Fridays at 9 pm, starting March 3
- Teachers, Thursdays at 9:30 pm, starting April 6 (replacing The Office, which has a season finale on March 30)
- Law and Order, Wednesdays at 9 pm, starting March 22
- Heist, Wednesdays at 10 pm, starting March
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Summer Cookout: Recipes from Our Favorite Cooking Shows
- From Kelly to Candice: Ranking the 'American Idol' Winners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Rankings: Who Was the Baddest Character in Season 4?
- 'American Idol': Ranking the Winners' Coronation Songs
- 'How I Met Your Mother' Promotes Cristin Milioti to Series Regular
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Doctor Who' Season 7 finale: Watch Matt Smith, Jenna-Louise Coleman introduce 'Name of the Doctor' and the prequel episode
- 'The Greatest Event in Television History': Adam Scott and Amy Poehler to recreate 'Hart to Hart'
- Kelly Rowland planned as 'The X Factor' judge for Season 3
- 'Nashville' season finale photos: Brad Paisley and a funeral in 'I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive'
- 'Mike and Molly' creator Mark Roberts leaving show before Season 4
- More From Zap2it
- Exclusive First Look: AMC's New Showville Puts Spotlight on Townie Talent
- Mike & Molly Creator Steps Down as Showrunner
- Nikita Boss Weighs In on [Spoiler's] Shocking Sacrifice, Reveals Exciting Final Season Scoop
- Exclusive Grimm Video: Relive This Season's Weird, Wild and Wacky Wesen
- Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on Silas' Agenda, Tyler's Future and 'Delena' Challenges
- More From TVLine