But though Mol didn't exactly fade into obscurity (she earned kudos for her eye-opening turn in the indie 'The Notorious Bettie Page' and co-starred in ABC's short-lived 'Life on Mars'), neither did she become the huge success the industry predicted she would be. What happened? Was it luck, timing, bad choices or simply a case of too much hype? Whatever that case, Mol's casting got us thinking about other "Almost It" girls that Hollywood left behind about as quickly as it tried to make them mega-stars.
What's kind of cool to consider is that buried in all that text is the gem that the studio is possibly considering a TV series for Hellboy to keep him in front of his fanbase until such a film could be made. Creator Mike Mignola has developed tons of stories for Hellboy in the world of comics, and possibly even more for B.P.R.D. (Bureau for Paranormal Research and Development).
- At 8, FOX has a new Cops.
- Food Network has the special Al Roker's Weird Restaurants at 8.
- Cartoon Network has two Hellboy animated films at 8: Sword of Storms and Blood and Iron.
- At 9, FOX has a new America's Most Wanted.
- There's a new Robin Hood on BBC America at 9, then a new Graham Norton Show.
- At 9:30, HGTV has a new Divine Design.
- At 10, TLC has a new Trading Spaces.
- At midnight, Cartoon Network has a new Bleach.
- At 1am, Cartoon Network has a new Code Geass, followed by a new Shin Chan.
Check your local TV listings for more.
Hellboy is being distributed by Universal and since Universal and NBC are the same entity, I can understand how a crossover between the two is possible. I do wonder if there will be any promotion for the movie when the new season of Chuck begins. Probably not, since the film will have already left the theaters. Still, a Ron Perlman appearance as any character on the show would be kind of cool.
Well now, if you were having trouble deciding between the competing biker shows in development, perhaps this news will tip your TV watching scales. FX has signed up Ron Perlman (Beauty And The Beast) to take over the role of Clay, president of the motorcycle club, and step-father to the main character Jax Teller (Charlie Hunnam), in Kurt Sutter's Sons Of Anarchy.
The part was played by Scott Glenn in the pilot, but the powers that be chose to recast it after deciding to make the series more of a dark comedy. I'm not exactly sure what that means, because I could go for Glenn in a dark comedy, but adding Perlman does heighten my interest in the show, to be sure. If you just can't wait for the show to premiere to get your Perlman fix, he'll be showing up at your local multiplex with Hellboy II: The Golden Army in July.
Meanwhile, Molly Shannon has stayed busy with a brilliant turn on Pushing Daisies while Selma Blair wowed geeks across the world as Liz Sherman in Hellboy, a role she will reprise in the sequel. Now they'll be able to come together and try to be the most delightfully dysfunctional mother-daughter duo since Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. Hell, if it can get half the critical acclaim that Gilmore Girls did, Kath & Kim will be off to a great start.
The second installment in the Hellboy animated movies for Cartoon Network will air at 7 p.m. on March 17. Hellboy: Blood and Iron borrows heavily from Wake the Devil, the second Hellboy paperback, according to the series' production blog. This second installment was originally envisioned as an origin story, but that concept was too close to the theatrical release, so a (mostly) new story was developed.
The third and final installment, Hellboy: The Phantom Claw is still in the script stage, and according to the production blog, will have more of a "mad scientist/weird technology" vibe, making it quite different than the previous two movies.
As mentioned before, actors from the Hellboy movie also provide voices for the animated version, including Ron Pearlman, Selma Blair and Doug Jones. Original Hellboy creator and Hellboy movie co-writer Mike Mignola also co-wrote the scripts for the animated versions.
[via Toon Zone]
Keep an eye on TV Squad for more contests and giveaways!
All you need to do is reply to this post stating your favorite thing about this show. Yessir, it's just as easy as that. But don't forget to check your e-mail to confirm the comment! From the comments, we will randomly select five winners. Be sure to enter by 11:59PM Eastern time, March 5th, 2007, because the drawing will take place tomorrow.
Join quickly! America is depending on you. And by "America", I mean "the world". Godspeed.
Full rules are after the jump.
Spike has ordered five episodes of Afro Samurai. They begin airing January 4th.
- At 8, NBC has the 2006 Visa Gymnastics Championships.
- FX has Hellboy at 8.
- ESPN continues coverage of The Little League World Series at 8.
- At 9, FOX has a new America's Most Wanted.
- CNBC has a new Suze Orman Show at 9.
- ESPN2 has a semifinal from the Western and Southern Financial tennis tournament at 9.
- STARZ has Zathura at 9.
- Also at 9: Cartoon Network has a new Naruto, followed by a new Zatch Bell and a new Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo.
- At 10, TMC has The Big Lebowski.
The combination of comedy and adventure reminds me of The Venture Bros., but while VB is an acquired taste for some, Screw-On Head seems like it could easily appeal to a larger audience. A lot of the story is taken straight from the comic, but since it was a one-shot (a stand-alone story) there have been a few well-done changes to allow the show room to grow to a full series. I'd love to see this on a regular basis! I definitely recommend it... Watch the pilot now, or read a little more about the comic and then watch it (seriously, watch it). Remember to fill out the survey after you see it so that SciFi can decide whether or not to pursue the series.
Emperor Zombie: Patience, darling? Do I have the permission to let Head stake you if it means world domination?
Patience, his vampiress: Yes, my love! [whispers to Head] ... Nooooo.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 16' Week 5 Photo Booth Gallery
- 'The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose' Recap: Confronting Nick and Fantasy Suite Sex
- 'Extant' Episode 4 Photos: An Island Escape
- 'The Fosters' Recap: Brandon Reveals His Secret
- 'Under the Dome' Recap: What's in the Locker is Finally Revealed
- More From BuddyTV
- Under the Dome Recap: Tunnel Vision
- Teen Wolf Recap: Beta and Switch
- Bachelorette Finale: Who 'Won'? Who Wept? Who Spilled a Sex Secret?
- Once Upon a Time Season 4 Casts Shameless Star as Frozen's Hans; John Rhys-Davies to Voice Rock Troll
- First Look: Gracepoint Detective Issues a Stern Warning to Danny's Killer
- More From TVLine