September 30, 2014
helmet for my pillow
by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 15th 2010 9:00AM
(E01) Just as Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks collaborated with HBO in 2001 to bring us the European World War II epic 'Band of Brothers,' they've joined forces again to take us to the other side of the war with 'The Pacific.' Another ten-part series, like 'Brothers,' 'Pacific' is based on true military figures and events depicted with some dramatic license, but with attempts to be as accurate as possible.
One of the first things the production team did was establish just how different the Pacific front was from the European one. The image that dominates most dramatic presentations about the fight against the Nazi forces of Germany is the military arrival on the beaches of Normandy; a veritable trip into hell.
In contrast, the 1st Marine Regiment's arrival on the beaches of Guadalcanal is a temporary reprieve from the hell of the naval warfare going on just offshore. Everything about this first episode established the atmosphere, tension, anxiety, beauty and horrors of fighting in a tropical paradise.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 21 Episode 7 Photos: Things Get Icy
- 'The Voice' Season 7: Meet Gwen Stefani's Team
- 'Chicago Fire': 11 Epic Shayveride Moments
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19: Week 3 Performance Rankings
- 'Sleepy Hollow': 15 Surprising and Unwanted Developments from 'The Kindred'
- More From BuddyTV
- MTV's Happyland: Is New Comedy Worth the Price of Admission?
- Sons of Anarchy Recap: Risky Business
- The Voice Recap: The Curious Case of Un-Pushed Buttons
- The Mindy Project Recap: Evasive Maneuvers
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Vampire Diaries, Walking Dead, Bones, Bates, Dixie, Chi Fire, Witches and More
- More From TVLine
- Neil Patrick Harris Shares His Beautiful Wedding Pics On 'Late Show'
- Who Will Lorde Choose for the 'Mockingjay' Soundtrack? 4 Predictions
- Ryan Hansen Reveals Why All 'Veronica Mars' Fans Should Be Watching 'Play It Again Dick'
- Jeff Goldblum Stars In This Super-Crazy Commercial For Light Bulbs
- TV's No. 1 Male Meets His Match on 'NCIS'
- More From ET